Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Engin Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by YiPsan View Post
    Drew,

Really nice to read more of your path. I don't know if you remember, I had a great conversation with you on the way out of Portland on the train, it was a great way to end that long weekend.

What is the split between orders through your shop vs. internet ones?
    If Belmont Wheelworks is your inspiration, any thought on a second store, or a chain?

Cheers,
    Renold,
    I remember the ride and it was equally nice to chat with you. I also remember they never charged us for the ride and it was outside the free zone.

The storefront goes in waves with orders. This spring I will be delivering 4 bikes in a row all to local people. They are friends that seem to have made their order decision together (sucks for the last one to make the order since it will be a solid month after the first woman gets hers). The internet sales are interesting to follow and it always seems to go against the trends of retail. Post NAHBS is always a great time for inquiries and orders. The heavy season of riding is always the slow season for foot traffic which is almost a blessing since the balance of sanity and working is a fine line and getting out for the occasional ride is always welcome. My riding has really suffered recently but I still maintain some miles with my commuting. Lucky for me the commute can include single track on the road bike which is always good for a head turning!

I had a great talk with Peter Mooney at San Jose NAHBS and he was very candid with me and told me so many things that have since been correct. His multiple stores is one part I have no interest in following. I more like how he has combined being a good traditional shop as well as a pro shop. Lots of good folks came out of those stores.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,
    Have you ever made frame without using any machine tools?

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niedz View Post
    Drew,
    Have you ever made frame without using any machine tools?

Dan
    Dan,
    I have not made a bicycle without the assistance of at least one machine tool. The set-up I have now is more than what is needed by many but I can say that I have no interest in mitering a lugless bicycle week after week by hand. I very much enjoy the toil involved with making bicycles but at a certain point there are things that seem not very fun or rewarding without taking a toll on my body and hands. I have carpal tunnel from years of building wheels. I have dealt with it and got it under control but those types of repeated actions are what got me the issue in the first place.

I also really enjoy making tools and fixtures. This would be harder to overcome than the actual mitering of tubes. That is where the fun really begins for me. Always looking for a way to make something very repeatable that I do on each bike. Things like a fixture that holds a seat tube binder so it is square and on center each time. Those little gems really save time once you make them.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew-
    congrats on the baby! I can't wait to see how you reorganize your beautiful shop to accommodate the kiddo! I think I remember you mentioning that you knew the Bolds, and if so they must have been an influence. They completely reorientated my teenaged mind. Herman could stand there talking to me, turning the handle on the bridgeport so slowly, yet evenly. So many people had said things wern't possible that they managed easily. One of my main regrets about living in Seattle, is not being able to go over there and pick their heads about various things.
    Hahn Rossman
    www.alkifoundry.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew, bicycles are such wonderfully simple machines. Outwardly they seem simple , I'm sure the design is not, however these timeless designs are repeated over and over becuause they work! I've got two questions for you. First, how did you learn to design bicycles that work very well for their intended purpose and second what single tube on the bicycle is most responsible for seat of the pants "feel" and why? The latter question has much interest for me as a taller than your avg. bear rider ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post

Nothing wrong with being confident in yourself. That is very different than being cocky. I work very hard at what I do and nothing comes easy.

-Drew
    So, what are your weak spots? feel free to post the same Q on my SO thread. I feel it's valid. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get all my silver from aufhauser so that is an option. I am sure the gasflux will be fine by then.

-Drew
    Just a small plug....Wade Barocsi and I now sell brazing supplies under http://www.cycledesignusa.com

We have spent a lot of time and money setting this up to be a reliable and ultra high quality source for these products. We have everything in stock, ship in one day and we are part of the actually framebuilding family. We would greatly appreciate all framebuilders business.
    All the best,

David Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

Facebook www.facebook.com/bohemianbicycles
    Framebuilding courses http://www.framebuildingschool.com
    Carbon framebuilding courses http://www.carbonframebuildingschool.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Drew, bicycles are such wonderfully simple machines. Outwardly they seem simple , I'm sure the design is not, however these timeless designs are repeated over and over becuause they work! I've got two questions for you. First, how did you learn to design bicycles that work very well for their intended purpose and second what single tube on the bicycle is most responsible for seat of the pants "feel" and why? The latter question has much interest for me as a taller than your avg. bear rider ;)
    Josh,
    My design ideas are the result of two paths. First was paying others to make this or that for me. I was always having the fine folks at IF make me a new bike with the slightest changes just to see if I felt it had merit. Same with Parlee and Moots. When I began making the bikes myself I was on a quest to just tweak everything that could be tweaked for the end user. I focus on making sure that the bike will function well for the person who's going to ride it. I hardly am doing something groundbreaking and rarely like to make the superlight bikes. I like to lean towards the overbuilt side for a lot of my customers since lots of my bikes get used and some get abused. It is the abused bikes that you learn from. Things not to do with MTB's are not really going to apply to a regular road bike. The cross bikes are the bikes I am very happy with. I like making a proper race bike that has such a single purpose.

The single tube question is hard to answer since it is all the tubes combined correctly that make the end result. The weakest link will always show its evil face but the opposite is not always true. The DT is so important with the MTB's with the long forks and heavy leverage. The seat tube however is where I would have the highest concern on a bike designed for you. Lots of leverage there and even more beyond the point where the frame ends the the saddle is placed. You have good riding technique and a comfortable position on the bike so making it "over" stiff in the front end is not needed. Stiff enough to support your weight and size but not over done. Also important is the rear end and the placement of the wheel and keeping it balanced with how long the front end will be. Why use a 395mm chainstay length on a bike with a 62cm top tube? (not sure on that length but you get the idea). Let's maximize the shifting with good chainline and keep the wheel tucked under your weight but not forward of it. Centering of the saddle rails is so key for me. Having a seat post design that has 5mm of set back means I control the seat tube angle around that 5mm of set back. The miracle tube on all bikes is the seat stay bridge. Ride a bike without it and watch it break and suck. Put that little 3 inch piece of tubing in and the bike will last 20 years. That is an amazing thing IMO.

Did I answer your question at all?

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hahn_rossman View Post
    Drew-
    congrats on the baby! I can't wait to see how you reorganize your beautiful shop to accommodate the kiddo! I think I remember you mentioning that you knew the Bolds, and if so they must have been an influence. They completely reorientated my teenaged mind. Herman could stand there talking to me, turning the handle on the bridgeport so slowly, yet evenly. So many people had said things wern't possible that they managed easily. One of my main regrets about living in Seattle, is not being able to go over there and pick their heads about various things.
    Hahn Rossman
    alki foundry
    I wonder if it is the same Bold as Albert Bold in Phoenixville, PA? He is a super great guy and does some incredible machine work in lots of fields. I borrowed my first seat post hardware design from him. He was super open with the design and always asks one simple favor, don't try and patent it! Here is his website although it is a bit outdated: Boring Cylinders & Bicycle Components

Check out this amazing photo (although I realize I might be biased):

IMG_0037_2.jpg

Jack Guldalian born 8/31/2010

-Drew
    Last edited by EnginCycles; 09-01-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbohemian View Post
    Just a small plug....Wade Barocsi and I now sell brazing supplies under Cycle Design USA

We have spent a lot of time and money setting this up to be a reliable and ultra high quality source for these products. We have everything in stock, ship in one day and we are part of the actually framebuilding family. We would greatly appreciate all framebuilders business.
    My apologies. I use Fillet Pro on all my stainless drop outs and forgot to mention that. It is a great product and I am super excited Wade and Dave kept the product alive and available.

-Drew
    Last edited by EnginCycles; 09-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    So, what are your weak spots? feel free to post the same Q on my SO thread. I feel it's valid. - Garro.
    Steve,
    One of my weaknesses is that I can get caught up on something and have a hard time moving on. I like having a systematic way of doing all the tasks and I can waste lots of time getting to the point of where I am happy with the result. I can let it consume me for an entire day but the goal is to get something in the end that makes it go faster every time after that.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,

How long till you think the little dude can ride a 29er bike? Will we see a Engin push bike in the mean time? :-D

Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if it is the same Bold as Albert Bold in Phoenixville, PA? He is a super great guy and does some incredible machine work in lots of fields. I borrowed my first seat post hardware design from him. He was super open with the design and always asks one simple favor, don't try and patent it! Here is his website although it is a bit outdated: Boring Cylinders & Bicycle Components

Check out this amazing photo (although I realize I might be biased):

Jack Guldalian born 8/31/2010

-Drew
    Congratulations, he looks great.

Pro-Tip: take those blankets and the green suction device home with you, you can't find those easily anywhere.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congrats on the new addition, Drew!!! - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Pro-Tip: take those blankets and the green suction device home with you, you can't find those easily anywhere.

J
    +1, that suction thing is handier than pockets on a shirt. Congrats, enjoy every minute you can cause they grow up faster than you think (or want)
    Will his tricycle have a carbon or 953 down tube?
    Last edited by edoz; 09-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to you and your wife! Good luck with sleep for a while, and enjoy the rapid change. I know I know, but they grow up so fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    +1, that suction thing is handier than pockets on a shirt. Congrats, enjoy every minute you can cause they grow up faster than you think (or want)
    Will his tricycle have a carbon or 953 down tube?
    Maybe when the time is right I will build him the coolest bike I can with all parts from the cut-off bin or 2nds that failed QC. It could still be a cool bike and have some mojo as well.

Thanks to all for the kind words. To all that have experienced it they are correct in it is an incredible moment. It is without a doubt the most proud moment. My wife Andrea is an amazing person and she once again was such a trooper.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,

I didn't see it asked above, but do you have a favorite bike you like to build? i.e. 29er, road, cross, etc.

Congrats on the birth of Jack to you and Andrea! Well done!

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CONGRATS! Beautiful boy....and a cool name too!
    +2 on the booger sucker.

And for your s/o question: What is the number one reason people give you for wanting an Engin over all the other choices out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Drew that answers much thanks.
    Your take on the most important tube is pretty funny. Are you sure you would not rather have a career in politics? I'm from Washington, DC....trust me ;)
    Thumbs up for your take on Albert's design. The work he does away from bicycles is over the top.