Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Engin Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Nash View Post
    Hey Drew,

Your shop is a real inspiration for me and my crew in terms of what a complete bike shop should be.

As a fellow retail/repair and fabrication shop, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the benefits and hurdles of doing both. Do you find that people will come in looking for a Dragon Pro and leave with a Engin deposit receipt?

Do you think you'll ever pass on what you've learned from Jamie to another builder?

See ya in October!
    Tommy,
    Thanks for the props but I am hardly the first and hopefully won't be the last to have a bike shop the way it was back in the day. Good for you and for seeing that a full service bike shop is just that. Belmont Wheelworks was my inspiration.

Since my lead times are about 1 year, it is rare (essentially never) that someone would be interested in a bike out of a box and then buy an Engin. It did however drop our I.F. and Moots sales dramatically. It took years to establish those lines and about 15 minutes to kill the momentum. The dust has settled now and we are selling them a bit more and with time I think it will all go back to what it was and I will have added the 50 or so bikes I can make each year.

Jamie Swan is my mentor for all things machine tool but not as much framebuilding. I have built way more bikes than him and have my way of doing things which is totally different to the way he builds a bike. This past year when we did the frame exchange he said it was a very educational thing for him because I would constantly be asking him why he does something that way and after he answered I would tell him why I don't do it that way and often it would lead to a change in his ways that would save time and speed up the process. I feel my way of giving back is that I am really open with my ideas and am always willing to help someone if they contact me or call.

Thanks for the comments again.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U View Post
    As someone lucky enough to own one of Drew's MTB's, one that I feel scores insanely high on fabrication, aesthetic, fit, function, and ride. One that covers the major build methods; handmade lugs, fillet braze, tig...all in one bike, seamlessly.

I would like to ask, what is next?

This is a fairly open question. I could mean what's next for you fabrication wise. Fine tuning, changes, something new? It could mean where you see the industry going....and how you fit into that? Etc. However you wish to answer it.

Or what bike will I want next?
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the kind words.

Isn't that what NAHBS is for?? Really I have a few new projects in the works even though they are small I think they are cool and will show their face at Austin.

I think the tapered forks will become the norm for mtb's with suspension so I am glad I have been on top of that situation. Since I am still on the front line of the retail scene I have rarely fell behind in what is new and hot. I always give the new stuff a try so I have a valid opinion on what I like or dislike about a new product. I like the PressFit 30 as well and if the cranks of the future move in that direction I am fine with that. I just wish we could bring back the adjustable chainline and have the 30mm spindle!

When your brother gets his new road bike you will want one of them!

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,

You are a self-proclaimed machine geek. Some questions related as I feel I share your mindset on the issue.

What is your favorite piece of machinery you have?
    What is the most specific tool you use for an specific process?
    If you had $1000 to spend on a tool tomorrow what would you buy?
    What is your holy grail; what is the one tool you think about frequently that is rare and that is not just a phone call away?
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhhhhhhh, the satiated wannabe said. tried two new things on the smoker. one worked, one didn't.

Love your work Drew. Hoping I don't have to do retail to support my frame habit. My original biz license was taken out for that very thing. Never got to use it. I find it fascinating that other bike geeks are "into" food. Tunes and Booze and other high-adrenalin sports sure, but i'll wager that there ain't a lot of guys who know their chef's knife from their slicer. Being a metal guy and a cook, now all my knives shave--even sharpened at different angles. Polished edges even. The ADD is talking.

What's your brazz fillet recipe? say: filler, flux, overarching ideals, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Drew,

You are a self-proclaimed machine geek. Some questions related as I feel I share your mindset on the issue.

What is your favorite piece of machinery you have?
    What is the most specific tool you use for an specific process?
    If you had $1000 to spend on a tool tomorrow what would you buy?
    What is your holy grail; what is the one tool you think about frequently that is rare and that is not just a phone call away?
    Surprised it took til page two that this happened.

Favorite thing is impossible to answer. For the task at hand the machine I am using is my favorite tool. I am rather proud of a few of them over the others. My Monarch 10EE with the 30" bed is a rare machine and it is a true gem to run. I have a Deckel FP1 which is also rare and an amazing machine. After that it moves to my non electric iron and are my DiAcro benders. they are amazing and I could not imagine building without them (me personally anyway).

For the specific tool question I have a Greenerd No.3 1/2 - 5 ton arbor press that for me has a single duty of dimpling stays. It is way overkill but I like it anyway.

$1000 unfortunately does not get you much in machine tooling. If you mean spend money on something I want but don't need I want a 12 or 15 drawer Vidmar cabinet (that leaves me some money to spare). They are dime a dozen at auctions but usually very banged up. Other than that I would like a bigger blast cabinet. If I NEED a tool I will buy it.

Holy Grail? Before the Monarch was found I had a list of 5 machines that I wanted one of. Monarch 10EE (30inch only), Rivett 1030S, Hendey T&G or a Schaublin 150. All are rare and hard to find but I was very tenacious and found the Monarch. I bought that machine sight unseen based on a few conversations that allowed me to trust the seller. That purchase allows the use of all the equipment from my Harrison lathe since they share the same D1-3 spindle. I have a spacer under the tool post on the Harrison so all the tool holders can be shared on both lathes.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post

What's your brazz fillet recipe? say: filler, flux, overarching ideals, etc.?
    Is this a question? I use gas flux c-04 (the old stuff not the new South America stuff for about 1 more year til I run out), a gas fluxer opened full tilt and blue paste. Advice for most people is faster and hotter.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    Is this a question? I use gas flux c-04 (the old stuff not the new South America stuff for about 1 more year til I run out), a gas fluxer opened full tilt and blue paste. Advice for most people is faster and hotter.

-Drew
    Sorry for the confusion. You do so much so well, I thought I'd gouge at one process. I have a small stash of old C/04 and don't know where I'll land after that. The LWS stuff ain't bad.

I need to go peruse your flickr again. Thanks for that and thanks for playing here at v/s and especially this section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised it took til page two that this happened.
    Thanks for the response, though I feel like a dumbass. I don't know what 90% of those tools are!
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew

I like to follow your flickr page and sometimes your blog to get a little more information. It seems like most of your frames have a certain style. They remind me of more of a art deco'ish flare. Is this something that you came up with your painter and how much input do customers have. Say they loved your frames, but wanted this goofy off the wall paint. Also that picture of your shop you posted on Practical Machinist was cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Drew

I like to follow your flickr page and sometimes your blog to get a little more information. It seems like most of your frames have a certain style. They remind me of more of a art deco'ish flare. Is this something that you came up with your painter and how much input do customers have. Say they loved your frames, but wanted this goofy off the wall paint. Also that picture of your shop you posted on Practical Machinist was cool.
    Larry,
    The paint is a very tough area. People can have some weird ideas and some great ones. I get that people are paying for something but it is also important that everyone is happy with the end result. Some people think something will look good but don't have the ability to envision the whole package. I have a few basic things I won't do. Fades are one. I hate fades!

I have a bias towards blue. Most of my colorways are in the pastel colors and I also like organic colors like browns. The box lining paint scheme was a combo of my ideas and Todd's new take on a old tradition. We made the lines a touch thicker than the older french style and also added the airbrush marks were they cross over. It ended up being a popular scheme and I like all the versions. It is always good to make sure a paint scheme is something that people will not only like when they receive it but in years to come.

The new most common theme is the Henry Ford tribute paint scheme. It comes in every color you want as long as that is flat black!

That photo was taken by Chuck U. Trust me that shop has some really tough lighting for photos and the combo of B&W and minimal lights made for a rather cool photo.

Thanks for the comments.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drew-
    from reading your posts, i've gathered that you take great pride in your skills. has your confidence in your own abilities ever been a double edged sword or hindered your ability to learn and improve your craft? how do you learn now that you know it all?

thanks,
    craig/jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    drew-
    from reading your posts, i've gathered that you take great pride in your skills. has your confidence in your own abilities ever been a double edged sword or hindered your ability to learn and improve your craft? how do you learn now that you know it all?

thanks,
    craig/jerk
    Craig,
    I feel I know more than most about the bicycle but it is a never ending learning situation that I try hard to keep on top of. There are a few newer items that I have let slip by like the new Campy 11 sp. I just am not a die hard for campy and when the QS stuff came out I had a ton of them crap out and get returned and I got frustrated with them and their customer service. It may sound lame but I do endless reading on manuals and such to keep up with the ins and outs of the new products.

I would never become complacent in any aspect of what I do. I am always thinking about a better way of doing something even when the results are more than what I am looking for.

Nothing wrong with being confident in yourself. That is very different than being cocky. I work very hard at what I do and nothing comes easy.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many frames did you make last year? - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    how many frames did you make last year? - Garro.
    Last year I made 37 bikes. This year is up in the air with my fall schedule undetermined. I gave myself one month of non production time for the birth of my baby.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year I made 37 bikes. This year is up in the air with my fall schedule undetermined. I gave myself one month of non production time for the birth of my baby.

-Drew
    right on, Drew! when i was AB {able bodied} I did ~ 40 a year. I'm around ~30 a year now + 5-8 forks + uncounted wheels. I am glad you are taking personal time off, you will never have a chance to experience your kiddo's early days again. good on ya. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Drew
    Any thoughts on what you'll go to when you run out of your c-04 stash?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get all my silver from aufhauser so that is an option. I am sure the gasflux will be fine by then.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Thanks for the response, though I feel like a dumbass. I don't know what 90% of those tools are!
    Tony,
    Don't feel bad I am a real dork when it comes to shop talk:)

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Don't feel bad I am a real dork when it comes to shop talk:)"

Oh crap, I knew what those were...I don't wanna be a dork

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,

Really nice to read more of your path. I don't know if you remember, I had a great conversation with you on the way out of Portland on the train, it was a great way to end that long weekend.

What is the split between orders through your shop vs. internet ones?
    If Belmont Wheelworks is your inspiration, any thought on a second store, or a chain?

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles