Thread: Groovy Cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Roy's Ti X frame...

Eric,

A 2.5" Seamless Ti tube that is swaged down with dies to fit the joint. It slowly kissed with a torch to warm it up prior to shaping to prevent cracking at the peaks of the oval...with springback, you almost have to have the sides touching to get the 1.25" width as the finished size.

r

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Keith's 29er...

Hi Rody,

What is the round thing on the seattube to the right of the two bottle mounts of the 13" 29er? Is it for a chainguard ? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sevencyclist,

The round piece located on the seat tube is a direct mount "braze on" for the front derailleur, allowing a clampless derailleur to be placed on the frame, saving the space between the seat tube and the rear tire that is often occupied by that design. This allows the design to achieve greater clearance, more mud shedding room, and shorter stays for large wheels.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the Smoked out area...

cheers,

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Tell us more about that main tube. It that a huge round tube flattened on the ends, or what?
    +1

I thought you were fabbing for Slingshot at first glance.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rody View Post
    Sevencyclist,

The round piece located on the seat tube is a direct mount "braze on" for the front derailleur, allowing a clampless derailleur to be placed on the frame, saving the space between the seat tube and the rear tire that is often occupied by that design. This allows the design to achieve greater clearance, more mud shedding room, and shorter stays for large wheels.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the Smoked out area...

cheers,

rody
    Thank you for your explanation. I guess the design become even more crucial for the smaller bikes wishing for 29" wheels since there are less space to play. I do like your design of the bar. Here is a picture of it on a Coconino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The X all built and having fun...

The bike project as finished...Ti X frame, Ti Unicrown Fork, Ti Luv bar/stem combo, Ti Disco Stick, Hot Rod cranks in two part ceramic, Rohloff, Gates Belt drive, and Magura Marta brakes, all painted in Roy's request of "bright and playfull"...

8d2de34d.jpg482e5ed8.jpg

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The X all built and having fun...no longer!

5 days of riding is too short a lifespan for a bike, but a fall off a 500' vertical cliff is unforgiving.

brokenframe1.jpg

Read the whole story here... Groovy Cycleworks 330-988-0537: An Epic Trip...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The X all built and having fun...no longer!

Dude, that is pure crazy!

So, so, so lucky it was just the bike that went over the edge. Very funny that you found another bike hanging on the cliffside as well.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad no one went down with the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't begin to share how fortunate we were to lose only the bike...maybe I'm getting old but I'm certainly happy to keep the rubber on the trail :)

The Titus had it's share of boo boos too; bent fork, trashed front wheel, etc... It is living the rest of it's days in Jeroens mountain bike museum in Holland, displayed as found, with pictures and the story to share with all that visit.

Thanks for checking in guys and gals,

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rody- every time I come to visit this thread I am struck again by awe. You are that good.

The range of bikes and designs is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, is that covered under warranty?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Keith's Woody

Keith's vintage station wagon inspired paint job included this airbrushed wood panel...

small wood.jpg

Woodybootysmall.jpg

Of course, there's more on the blog for your viewing pleasure.

Groovy Cycleworks 330-988-0537: Keith's Woody...inspired paint job!

cheers,

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Keith's Woody

Paint:

Rody, do most customers just let you do your thing in regards to paint design? I'm way down the build list so I have time, but I'm curious if I should set aside my overly cautious mentality where I have to control every detail and just throw caution to the wind and let you work your magic. Just interested in what you encounter most. Keith's paint job is looking good!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Keith's Woody

Wilco,

The majority of my customers are drawn to me for one of two reasons; they want something very unique and one off that does not look like other bikes out on the asphalt or trail or they desire some unusual fabrication that may weird out other builders buy I embrace cause I a bit looney :)

During the process of working together, I really try to get to know who my customer is as an individual. When it comes time to discuss a finish, I try to use that knowledge to create a finish that ties together the personality of the customer, the bike, and a little of me.

I'd say 60% have an idea of what they'd like, but allow my interpretation of the final rendering.

The other 40% scare the crap out of me by saying..."just do what you like". Then I'm on the spot, hoping like crazy I've hit the nail on the head for them, creating a finish that is as unique as they are.

I will admit, it is a lot more fun from my perspective in painting within the moment. I hope that shows through.

cheers,

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frankenstein X...

gfra -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Frankenstein X...

Glad to see the X went back together! I've always thought that was a neat design ever since I saw the Grove X and Trimble bikes way back when.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A solitary life...

One of the aspects of frame building/fabrication that most folks do not recognize is the solitary time in the shop, void of human interaction for long hours. It is a process that demands focus and concentration, interacting with cold, simple tools devoid of emotion. The only feedback you receive is the sound of the cutters and files moving through metal, palpable vibrations fed back to your hands, and visual affirmation that you are shaping and changing an inanimate material into a tool that will allow another to achieve an emotional state far removed from where you are now.

Being a fairly animated people person, it is a process I sometimes struggle with. One shop task epitomizes the bottom of the enjoyment curve for me...fabricating Luv handle bar centers. It is a day that comes once a month. It is a day that I dread, often putting it off in place of more desirable shop duties, but alas, the unfortunate truth to being a responsible adult is that we often have to do things we don't always enjoy.

So yesterday I put my head down, built my resolve, and forged ahead. 14 lonely hours later, here is the fruits of my labor...
    centersonmill.jpg
    32 steel and ti centers line the 52" mill bed for this months orders.

The bending and swaging are fun and move quickly, but once the mitering begins, the day slows to a crawl. The compound miter between the center of the bar and the grip section is a long, nasty cut, requiring patience and multiple passes to complete. Four bars an hour is the completion rate once at the mill, slowly watching and feeding the cutter through a narrow channel in the fixturing.

Knowing that the toil allows me to imagine and then bring to fruition a construct that allows us mere humans to elevate ourselves into an experience otherwise unreachable makes it worth it. There is just something about the wind whistling past your face, the hum of tires on the trail, and reaching speeds our bodies are physically incapable of without a bicycle that transcends the pain of this solitude. I guess it's that thought keeping me company in the shop while working alone. Conversely, each time you ride one of my products, a little of me goes with you too.

Pretty cool.

rody