Thread: YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: YiPsan Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by YiPsan View Post
    I had 5 bikes there (too many) and they are of different types. It is great to learn more of what attracts people.

Cheers,
    This is interesting, why was 5 too many?
    Also, what seemed to attract people the most?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words. And I hope you had the opportunity to see the handover, it was quite an event. May I ask what took you there?

The cables are bare inside. There is a cable stop brazed on the inside of the entry and I like that it is very invisible, it exits near the cs / ss brace, so only a short piece of housing was used to go from there to the brake / shifter stop. The lateral tubes on the head tube end is open, and so future service is quite easy, although I heard quite some people saying it will collect water. And I am sure it will, but it will also go out the other end or evaporate since it is so open.

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post
    Will you explore your small wheeled beginnings through the art of frame building? I think your frames are particularly artfully carried out, artful enough to be demanding to be ridden.
    Wade,

Thanks for your compliment and stopping by. I heard a lot about you while I was living in the greater Seattle area and during my 2 weeks at UBI.

I have thought about making something that runs 20" wheels, but do not see a need / design to go at. It is one of those back burner things. However, I might try something that is inspired by my small wheels days and make it with bigger size wheels. Kind of like DeSalvo's SE bike inspiration. We'll see. I really don't have the details in how to go at it though.
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you, I have done a couple of 80s bmx inspired frames with 26in wheels, torker and cooks bros. What if we didn't have to have a back burner and could just build whatever we thought of whenever we want to.
    Wade,

Thanks for your compliment and stopping by. I heard a lot about you while I was living in the greater Seattle area and during my 2 weeks at UBI.

I have thought about making something that runs 20" wheels, but do not see a need / design to go at. It is one of those back burner things. However, I might try something that is inspired by my small wheels days and make it with bigger size wheels. Kind of like DeSalvo's SE bike inspiration. We'll see. I really don't have the details in how to go at it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Renold, am I making an assumption your time invested in each bike represents a barely break even venture? Can you expand on this perhaps to say how this jives with your approach to handmade bicycles as a business?
    Josh,

Thanks for posting. That's a simple yet large question.

Let me try. I am still at an very early stage in this frame building thing and I do hope to end my working life doing this. And I feel that these beginning years might be looked back as most innovative / creative / experimental, and so I am not keeping a tab on how many hours I have spent trying to copy the shorelines of a Llewellyn or Weigle (I still have not manage that). Plus, one do need a certain portfolio to present the possibilities to potential customers.

Then, when I do have a customer wanting something like my last bike, I feel I have to put in even more effort to make it worth their dime.

In a simple and quick way to answer your question, I am getting by at this time and thank you for generous judges and showgoers, the awards had been helpful to allow those who could only see my work online to know I am out there.

I am also very inspired by Richard and Kirk in their mostly hand tools way of building. Yes, it may be very silly for a builder at my level, but it is an ideal I would like to stick with. And with our history of moving frequently, I really do not want anything big and heavy to deal with.

Your question also reminds me of keeping an eye on my pricing so I do not drown myself along the way. However, it also trigger what Richard had always mentioned about a complete bike vs a frameset. It makes a huge difference, and the bike usually turn out better, be it aesthetically or functionally.

I also see this as a path that maybe one day take me to greatness, I am not sure I can or have the qualities, but only by doing it do I have a chance.

I hope this somewhat answers you. Maybe I shall think further and come back to it later.

cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Matthews View Post
    This is interesting, why was 5 too many?
    Also, what seemed to attract people the most?
    Chauncey,

Nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by.

5 was too many for my 10 x 10. There was practically no room to move about without risking them. In fact, one of the bikes was loaned from a customer (the one on top of the table) and was scratched during set up. I was about to kill myself. It took another week out of her bike since it had to go to paint repair right after the show.

During Richmond, the Sunflower bike attracted the most, and I think the rando bike (candy brown and green one) was somewhat overlooked. And this reminds me that I need to just focus instead of trying to show one of everything. What got me to decide to show 5 was that there are a few customers in that area where I can easily loan the bike to show and return, but as you read above, it may not be all good.

Does this make sense to you?
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post
    I hear you, I have done a couple of 80s bmx inspired frames with 26in wheels, torker and cooks bros. What if we didn't have to have a back burner and could just build whatever we thought of whenever we want to.
    No back burner? It may mean no work at all or I am sick of this and don't bother me with bikes?

No, I think back burner can be good at times.

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my pleasure to meet you...
    2nd and 3rd look at your skills in richmond.

your attitude --- makes you very simple with application, but complex with thought and do diligence...

very close friend formula one team owner, many years back, from macau -- teddy yip --- same circle..

all good things,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    my pleasure to meet you...
    2nd and 3rd look at your skills in richmond.

your attitude --- makes you very simple with application, but complex with thought and do diligence...

very close friend formula one team owner, many years back, from macau -- teddy yip --- same circle..

all good things,

ronnie
    Ronnie,

Thank you.

Do you know that Sam Sycip (father of the Sycip brothers) also knows Teddy Yip? He kept asking me if I am related to Teddy, but no, just same last name. I wish I had gone to see the Macau GP live. I only stayed home and watch TV every year. My dad was born in Macau too, and he would have been able to show me around. Well, maybe next trip to HK, I will have to put this in.

So, maybe you had good memories with the original Cooper S back then?

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renold, I asked Susan and it was simple. She was drawn to look at your yellow bike, then you engaged her in conversation and she said you were very easy to talk to, approachable, and told an interesting personal story about the bike. Sounds like you're doing something right!
    Craig

Thank you, Craig.

I guess I missed speaking with you? or maybe Susan was browsing on her own? Anyhow, Richmond was a great time. Can't wait for Austin.

Can you share more of what Susan likes among my bikes. I had 5 bikes there (too many) and they are of different types. It is great to learn more of what attracts people.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great response sir. You seem to have designed your own apprenticeship using methods and abilities from some of the best representatives handmade framebuild has to offer.

I too greatly admire builders who focus intensely on quality, safety and design purpose. Details like sexy shorelines seem to come with time, more time and a dose of more time. From this side of the lunchtable your abilities to innovate design and lovely purposeful builds are well ahead of your yrs. in the craft.

It is not much of a risk to say we have not heard the last from you.

Looking forward to more good things. Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ronnie,

Thank you.

Do you know that Sam Sycip (father of the Sycip brothers) also knows Teddy Yip? He kept asking me if I am related to Teddy, but no, just same last name. I wish I had gone to see the Macau GP live. I only stayed home and watch TV every year. My dad was born in Macau too, and he would have been able to show me around. Well, maybe next trip to HK, I will have to put this in.

So, maybe you had good memories with the original Cooper S back then?

Cheers,
    shore did --- to gooda time .. sometimes ...

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

Thank you for the extra info. This is a very meaningful feedback to me.

And this is an area I remind myself whenever I am at shows. Being a lone man in the shop / cave does not make much use of my vocal cord, and if my wife does not speak english, I would really doubt my ability to just carry out basic conversations. But the live exchange of words means a lot to showgoers and of course potential customers. I usually get quite hoarse by mid afternoon but I remind myself not to slow down. I do worry at times if they understand my accent, but I just tell myself accent is character and move on.

During Richmond, there were quite a few showgoers who were also from my native land and it was fun to speak some Cantonese too.

It is also very flattering when they say they have been watching my flickr updates, I thought only the customers and friends would be looking.

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Great response sir. You seem to have designed your own apprenticeship using methods and abilities from some of the best representatives handmade framebuild has to offer.

I too greatly admire builders who focus intensely on quality, safety and design purpose. Details like sexy shorelines seem to come with time, more time and a dose of more time. From this side of the lunchtable your abilities to innovate design and lovely purposeful builds are well ahead of your yrs. in the craft.

It is not much of a risk to say we have not heard the last from you.

Looking forward to more good things. Josh
    Josh,

Thank you for the kind words. I shall strive to not let you down. And I am still thinking about your question. More later.

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day Renold, I first met you at the Portland NAHBS gig when I escaped my booth to wander about. You grabbed my attention because I saw the list of your research efforts, education and seeking of all things related to frames and to fitting/biomechanics.
    I was pleased to see this as I thought there was more depth to you than just the LASER cut engraved dropouts and some blingy fixie bikes that abounded every where else as others strive for attention.
    Life was too short to speak with you more at this year's NAHBS but I respect your attitude and application to your work.
    I see a lot of influences from your Asian heritage and work ethic mixed with UK and USA western style that is reflected in your work, cool.
    any how I admire your way
    and I know you understand the toil ;-)
    Cheers Dazza
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    G'day Renold, I first met you at the Portland NAHBS gig when I escaped my booth to wander about. You grabbed my attention because I saw the list of your research efforts, education and seeking of all things related to frames and to fitting/biomechanics.
    I was pleased to see this as I thought there was more depth to you than just the LASER cut engraved dropouts and some blingy fixie bikes that abounded every where else as others strive for attention.
    Life was too short to speak with you more at this year's NAHBS but I respect your attitude and application to your work.
    I see a lot of influences from your Asian heritage and work ethic mixed with UK and USA western style that is reflected in your work, cool.
    any how I admire your way
    and I know you understand the toil ;-)
    Cheers Dazza
    Dazza,

Wow, thank you.

When I went to Portland, I was nervous. And when I saw you right in front of my booth, I hesitated for a moment to introduce myself. I never thought someone I have been following and learning from online would stop by. Well, you are so easy to speak with. Then, I thought maybe you only stopped by because I have 2 bikes with a full set of your lugs and dropouts.

And of course you know I really appreciate the advises and most importantly reality checks and encouragement. Although I knew it going in this biz, it is very meaningful to hear it from someone who has done this for so long and so successful.

And here, I should thank Mike Z too. I only met him at Richmond when I drop by his booth. Again, I have been following his work for a long time and speaking with him has allowed me to learn of why he has made it this far. And he was kind to share like he has done here, only in person.

Thank you guys.
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Renold- you and I have emailed about this a bit, but I was hoping you could share some of your experience with selling through a remote bike shop (The Bicycle Escape). I'm curious how your direct customer interactions adapt when there is a third party involved.

Nice work on that big blue bike, by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Hi Renold- you and I have emailed about this a bit, but I was hoping you could share some of your experience with selling through a remote bike shop (The Bicycle Escape). I'm curious how your direct customer interactions adapt when there is a third party involved.

Nice work on that big blue bike, by the way.
    Eric,

Good to hear from you.

The Bicycle Escape (TBE) is a very good bike shop in Frederick MD. It is owned by my good friend Tom Rinker, who I met and worked with in another shop in that region. TBE is my only dealer at this time although I had been speaking with a couple other shops in different region to act as a dealer.

To begin with, Tom has always been supportive during my early years in building frames and so the dealership was more evolved than developed. He and his family rides some of my earlier work (pre my 07' decision to go commercial) and also some new ones. Tom is a seasoned mechanic, certified fitter and active community member in Frederick. This kind of trust I have with him is very important. TBE also deals IF and other custom brands and sees that there is a market for bikes that are built by one person shops and in traditional methods with modern concepts. It is a win win for all parties involved.

Customers that go through TBE will mainly be working with Tom. I received contact points and other pertinent information to begin a design and since Tom understands what information is needed, he would have collected most of it in the beginning, but of course, if I have additional questions, he could take care of and check in with the customer. I think for certain customers, this situation is beneficial. They have a local contact and of course a shop to deal with all mechanical set up when the bike is delivered, plus future maintenance. To me, it helps establish a local presence that I cannot easily do from afar and a 3rd party's suggestion instead of me toting my ware can be better received.

I cannot thank TBE and Tom enough for helping me in these beginning years and so I left my People's Choice trophy with him to be displayed in his shop. To me, he, his wife Danielle and his dad Roger, are my people's choice as a dealer.

And now to the other end which people may ask, the financial side. When an order is going through TBE, there is a hit to my income and I fully understand that, but it also takes care of a lot of communications and marketing costs. Again, that local presence is impossible without a base. So, it is working well for me.

I also want to add that the current trends of retail shops are very focused on margin and turnaround and so it is not easy to find a shop that has the technical background and the attitude to carry brands like ours and work hard for it. They could easily make the same money by selling another high $ production bike.

Overall, I would say that the trust is very important and also that the dealer has to have a certain level of passion for what I make.

Let me know if there are points you would like me to expand on.

Cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words. And I hope you had the opportunity to see the handover, it was quite an event. May I ask what took you there?
    Hi Renold,

I moved there in April before the handover with my wife and first child (3 months old). We were both a bit apprehensive but the chance to do something completely different from the ordinary was just too big to withstand. The buying office of the Metro group (Gemex Trading) hired me as quality assurance manager for technical items. It was a great time and I would do it again in a flash second if I had the chance.

Thanks for the info about the cables. If you have a drain hole I would think it should be fine.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Renold. I'm not a builder, but gotta say, that rando was perfect. Maybe too perfect, as I didn't even notice the sunflower. Thanks for taking the time at the show to tell me about the build.
    Chris.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast