Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Crumpton Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Crumpton Cycles

Nick-Great reading through this thread and thank you for your participation! It was fantastic to meet you guys at the show this year...sorry for the drool on the bikes!

With NAHBS '11 being in your home turf any plans to do some bike fitting before/after? Any special show plans that you can share now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick,

I'm fortunate to have just received one of your frames a month ago and it is without a doubt, the most impressive bike I've every thrown a leg over. Can't say enough good things about the quality of your work and the pleasure it was doing buisness with you.

No question - just gratitude! Thanks for sharing your story here.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Nick, have you ever made anything else in carbon fiber or would you like to? Any personal projects like furniture or something else kinda offbeat?
    Nothing real. I have some furniture Ideas but the reality is I am a framebuilder. Maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    nick,

i'm having trouble sleeping at night thinking about the box that will arrive at my door in a couple weeks. looking forward to getting one of your bikes
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gearguywb View Post
    Nick-Great reading through this thread and thank you for your participation! It was fantastic to meet you guys at the show this year...sorry for the drool on the bikes!

With NAHBS '11 being in your home turf any plans to do some bike fitting before/after? Any special show plans that you can share now?
    I'm always taking appointments for fittings and will up to and after the show. Special show plans? I'd love to smoke a couple briskets for the show but "no outside food". Seriously, I won't know what’s going in the booth till Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by MazoMark View Post
    Nick,

I'm fortunate to have just received one of your frames a month ago and it is without a doubt, the most impressive bike I've every thrown a leg over. Can't say enough good things about the quality of your work and the pleasure it was doing buisness with you.

No question - just gratitude! Thanks for sharing your story here.

Mark
    Mark-
    Thanks. I love it when a plan comes together. I am glad you are enjoying that bike.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will also pester you to participate in FNL. So, please, please, please participate in FNL!

I have a question about the press fit BB30 that you use. Ever since seeing that I have wondered if any of your customers have built up a frame with the press fit with Shimano or Campy cranks using the BB30 adapters? If so, how well does that option work? I wish I could say that this question was a result of me trying to pick out my components for my soon to be ordered Crumpton, but sadly that just is not the case. With any luck maybe one day.

Oh! I was also wondering if the paint options for the Corsa M have increased?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    I will also pester you to participate in FNL. So, please, please, please participate in FNL!

I have a question about the press fit BB30 that you use. Ever since seeing that I have wondered if any of your customers have built up a frame with the press fit with Shimano or Campy cranks using the BB30 adapters? If so, how well does that option work? I wish I could say that this question was a result of me trying to pick out my components for my soon to be ordered Crumpton, but sadly that just is not the case. With any luck maybe one day.

Oh! I was also wondering if the paint options for the Corsa M have increased?
    TRuss-
    I have had several PF30 apps installed with DA cranks using the adapters from wheels mfg. They work very well. For Campy bikes I forgo the PF30 and do a normal alu BB30 and use Campy's BB30 cups. Also works quite well. Paint wide open to customization.
    Last edited by crumpton; 08-10-2010 at 07:03 AM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Nick,

Cool logo (the oval geometric part). Can you explain some of it's origins?

Thanks.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was scoping out your site last night. Love the look of the CX bike. Is that olive stain you're using?
    To old to know better

www.cyclesnoir.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Hey Nick,

Cool logo (the oval geometric part). Can you explain some of it's origins?

Thanks.
    A buddy created that specifically the current company. If one struggles to see anything beyond a strange swipe of color, look at the interior negative space, you might see a C or a tube, pipe or wave.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclesNoir View Post
    Was scoping out your site last night. Love the look of the CX bike. Is that olive stain you're using?
    All the tints we do are candy concentrates in clear. This is done after the frame has a near perfect clear finish. Then top coated once more. That particular gold is awful with a glossy clear but really works nicely with a matte clear.
    Last edited by crumpton; 08-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruyneel thinks there's no magic in cycling. He must not have ridden your frames. That their special feel has endured through generations of technique only amplifies the respect you are due. What is most interesting to me is how such an engineering approach can create such a nuanced, instinctual outcome. In many carbon frames one can feel the tool the committee agreed on. In yours, I think there's an understanding of the best sensations of riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick,

Sorry, a bit late to the party as usual.

I'm probably one of those 'no talent marketing types' that you referred to on a previous page (despite being neither), but I have a few questions.

We have a model in our line-up called the Tephra CTi, of which the lower portion of the frame is Titanium and the top is tube-to-tube carbon. We have little or no reputation on the road scene so we've only sold a handful since we introduced the concept. It's a tough sell which is a pity because the frames ride great.

We contacted you in 2006 for help with these frames and you seemed keen, but then for whatever reason things didn't work out with working with you, which from my standpoint was a real pity.

So I guess I was curious about what you thought about 'mixed media' frame design? You did a 'concept' frame with Jason Groves around about the same time - what did you learn from that? You mention you do sub-contract work for two other vendors - do you think that your expertise could be brought to the table for other companies wanting to add carbon in some form or another into their line-up?

Finally, now that you're at, what, 60 frames a year, where do you see handmade carbon fiber going? Calfee is doing his bamboo thing - are you looking into other avenues, related niches....? How will you keep differentiating yourself from the mainstream carbon fiber companies?
    FRAMEBUILDING PARTS FOR SALE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine Cycles View Post
    Nick,

Sorry, a bit late to the party as usual.

I'm probably one of those 'no talent marketing types' that you referred to on a previous page (despite being neither), but I have a few questions.
    Did I call someone a no talent in this thread? That wasn't nice was it. I am sorry.

We have a model in our line-up called the Tephra CTi, of which the lower portion of the frame is Titanium and the top is tube-to-tube carbon. We have little or no reputation on the road scene so we've only sold a handful since we introduced the concept. It's a tough sell which is a pity because the frames ride great.
    Who is building them?

We contacted you in 2006 for help with these frames and you seemed keen, but then for whatever reason things didn't work out with working with you, which from my standpoint was a real pity.
    Honestly, I think it was too early for me at the time. Mostly coupled with us being 2 hemispheres apart and still having to work with the metal fab guy and a painter? I didn't want to manage a project like that. I probably still don't. Project management isn't my thing.

So I guess I was curious about what you thought about 'mixed media' frame design? You did a 'concept' frame with Jason Groves around about the same time - what did you learn from that? You mention you do sub-contract work for two other vendors - do you think that your expertise could be brought to the table for other companies wanting to add carbon in some form or another into their line-up?
    There are pros and cons to mixed but the net on your CTi and what Jason and I did is this, it is totally covered by a US patent issued to Trek Bicycle corp. So why bother. I did a similar project(non patent infringing) with Dean, that was a sweet bike but was priced to high for the brand I guess.

At this point I am quite happy with full carbon and more interested in removing metal from what I currently have rather than add more.

Finally, now that you're at, what, 60 frames a year, where do you see handmade carbon fiber going? Calfee is doing his bamboo thing - are you looking into other avenues, related niches....? How will you keep differentiating yourself from the mainstream carbon fiber companies?
    I always thought it would grow. I thought there would be a dozen or more FT pro builders finding success with tube-to-tube full carbon construction by this point. I guess I was wrong. With carbon being nearly all production mid to high end, it is a bit confusing to me. I have some ideas on why that might be. Assuming it's lack knowledge or material availability, i'm gonna continue to help in this area as best I can.

I'll continue to differentiate by just being me and doing what I do. If I feel the need for drastic change because I can not be differentiated in the market, then I would suspect I have failed and would probably move on OR I have succeeded in helping create a monster and would probably still move on. I see neither any time soon.
    Last edited by crumpton; 10-04-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    Did I call someone a no talent in this thread? That wasn't nice was it. I am sorry.
    Your sincerity shines like a beacon for others.

Who is building them?
    Err, nobody currently. Which if the past is anything to go by, I'll probably get an order for one tomorrow.

Honestly, I think it was too early for me at the time. Mostly coupled with us being 2 hemispheres apart and still having to work with the metal fab guy and a painter? I didn't want to manage a project like that. I probably still don't. Project management isn't my thing.
    Is it part of the American paradigm to make shit up? I'm the project manager, you're the carbon builder guy. There was no project management required from you - take Ti section out of box, add carbon section, stick back in box, call UPS, done.

There are pros and cons to mixed but the net on your CTi and what Jason and I did is this, it is totally covered by a US patent issued to Trek Bicycle corp. So why bother.
    Because there's a big World out there not covered by US Patents?

I always thought it would grow. I thought there would be a dozen or more FT pro builders finding success with tube-to-tube full carbon construction by this point. I guess I was wrong. With carbon being nearly all production mid to high end, it is a bit confusing to me. I have some ideas on why that might be. Assuming it's lack knowledge or material availability, I'm gonna continue to help in this area as best I can.
    I think metal fabricators drink their own kool-aid (as you guys say), and the 'modern' dilemnas with dealing with a material that is not Steel or Ti are seen as a huge barrier to entry, rather than a sideways opportunity of which they already own most of the equipment to make anyway. Yeah there's definitely a lack of easily accessible information on processes and materials, but I think the next 5 years will see a influx of people (waves at Carl) giving it a go.

The bonus for you, Parlee and Calfee is that you guys will be seen 20 years from now as the pioneers, so your timing was essentially perfect from where I'm sitting.

It's all about differentiation.

Oh, and I wanted to say how much I like your ID, too. In amongst so much retroism, it's great to see a logo and typeface that's so 'futurist'. People aren't just buying the 'thing', they're buying the emotive message the object is projecting, and by not being 'retro' or 'boy racer', you're projecting the image of the progressive and post-modern, which is a great move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it part of the American paradigm to make shit up? I'm the project manager, you're the carbon builder guy. There was no project management required from you - take Ti section out of box, add carbon section, stick back in box, call UPS, done.
    With an attitude like that, how could he have said no?
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anywho. Can we talk about how late Nic is delivering my "Test Bike" ? Dewd, I've been sending good vibes and kicking your detractors in the nutz for you and my porch is still empty...what the heck?

Just an observation about Nic is that he is one of the industry cats who freely gives away information about his specialty and it would be so easy not to do such. This is a quality clients see and cohorts admire.

Polished that apple pretty good ;)

*That's a 66 top tube and 88.5 saddle height if you lost the specs. Cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with a 66 TT, is your porch big enough to hold it? i got a fedex ship failure notification saying "the porch isn't big enough". get that porch fixed and call me back.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Anywho. Can we talk about how late Nic is delivering my "Test Bike" ? Dewd, I've been sending good vibes and kicking your detractors in the nutz for you and my porch is still empty...what the heck?

Just an observation about Nic is that he is one of the industry cats who freely gives away information about his specialty and it would be so easy not to do such. This is a quality clients see and cohorts admire.

Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Sorry Too Tall, but you're going to have to wait until Nick finishes mine first. Nick, looking forward to that white Corsa-M you're currently building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    With an attitude like that, how could he have said no?
    Yeah sorry, that might've come across as bit terse. It's been a long....er.......month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Err, nobody currently.

are you really busting someone's ass for not doing work for you? - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick,

Can't comment cause I'm not a builder, but I just spent about 15 minutes pouring over the pics you posted in the framebuilders section. Thank you, that is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Nick,

I just signed on to this forum and I met you a couple of weeks ago at the Texas Handmade Show. I was just wondering where some of your first carbon builds are and if they are still rolling on the road?

Dimitri Harris
    MEECH Custom Bicycles

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast