Thread: Spectrum Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spectrum Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    Now that we've started getting the "new" Spectrums from ABG via Seven, I thought I'd post a few pics of this one, going to a fella' up in Vermont. You might guess from the photos that Tom is now a very happy camper. Holy smokes! Can it get better than this? And Tim is out of practice with our weld style. By the way, when we got the frames in raw condition, the alignment was perfect, threads; perfect, bores; perfect, dimensions; perfect. Hot damn! Now look at the brake bridge weld again. Like fillet brazing, but not. Sending good vibes to both ABG and Seven as I post this.
    Tom, did you get any pics of the recent finished Seven/Spectrum frames for us to see?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first one left yesterday. It was the one that I showed a few closeups of last week. The second one is in the paint booth right now and I hope to have it done along with another six frames in about ten days. Sorry.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff! They are likely as beautiful as ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I'd post part of a letter that I sent recently to some of the folks I work with down at ABG to give everyone an idea of what my work means to Jeff and myself. I sent this letter a few minutes after I had received the last frame that they will have made for us start to finish. FWIW:

Guys:

We just received the last RA frame a few minutes ago. I have to say that you should not have quit the business. I know that from a business perspective, it made sense, but the frames that you made, and looking at this last one, were as good as it gets. Just beautiful.

It's been twenty four years since I began working with the first iteration of Merlin up in Somerville. We never made more than a decent living working with Merlin, but we sure produced a pile of bikes that made many lives better and richer. Over the years, we have received many letters and calls of thanks from old clients and even from their survivors when those clients have passed on. It is an honor to have been part of their lives, a part that has enriched them and made their lives better. I wanted to let you know how much this means to me since it is Merlin's work that has allowed us to become part of the lives of so many more people. Thank you for that.

Of course, we are continuing our relationship, but in a somewhat more limited way. Working with Seven has been fun since I have known many of them for many years and they speak my language (I helped train some of them). There has been a short learning curve for all of us as we work out the kinks in the new system, but it seems to be working really well. We've gotten the first four frames from Seven. We have asked them to make just two at a time for now so that we can fully evaluate each batch before starting on the next.

So again, thank you all. We will of course be in touch on a regular basis, but at this juncture I wanted to send a note. Take care and keep riding as much as you possibly can.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very gracious note to the ABG folks.
    Looking forward to snapshots of frames from the Spectrum & Seven partnership.
    Hope enhanced communication leads to improved new ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Looking forward to snapshots of frames from the Spectrum & Seven partnership.
    I'm waiting too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on your last two pictures on the Friday Pic Fest No.99 forum......do I get a royalty check or somethin for somebody else using my color blue? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue:

Believe it or not, the bike isn't blue, it's purple. The camera and the lighting made it look blue. OK, so for those asking, that "blue" Ti bike in picfest #99 is in fact one of the "Seven" produced frames. I will be starting to paint the next nine next week. They all get paint except for one that is only getting a clear coat. I'll try to remember to take a few close-ups before the paint process starts.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They all get paint except for one that is only getting a clear coat.
    TK,

Can you type a bit to this? What type of clear will adhere directly to Ti?

TM
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    TK,

Can you type a bit to this? What type of clear will adhere directly to Ti?

TM
    And why clearcoat Ti?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue:

Believe it or not, the bike isn't blue, it's purple. The camera and the lighting made it look blue. OK, so for those asking, that "blue" Ti bike in picfest #99 is in fact one of the "Seven" produced frames.

I'm talking about the steel frame that the customer had painted in his charity's colors; That is smurf blue, right? Don't worry about the royalty check, just send me a bag of TK coffee. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony:

I simply use Imron 8485S. That's the Imron 6000 clear. Of course, it's paint, so it can chip, but it works pretty well...

We have always offered clear on our Ti frames because it gets around the "dirt magnet" issues that natural Ti has and it protects the decals as well.

Hey blue; sorry again. That shade of blue in reality is quite a bit different. I had to mix it starting with a royal blue solid, added a bit of white, light teal and a few drops of black to come up with he shade to match the client's jersey.
    Last edited by Tom Kellogg; 02-07-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey blue; sorry again. That shade of blue in reality is quite a bit different. I had to mix it starting with a royal blue solid, added a bit of white, light teal and a few drops of black to come up with he shade to match the client's jersey.
    Well it sure is beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tom,
    I bought one of your merlin frames, in 1991, and I still ride it to this day. Also, a few years ago I bought a steel frame that was owned by a guy in georgetown ma, and he said it was a kellog frame that had been built for the US national team in 1984, and originally had the Murray paint job. Now it's bright blue with no decals, and he had it set up as a fixed gear. I took it for a ride, and I will say it rode as nice as my merlin, and there was no question the frame was built by a competent builder. He was selling the bike cheap, $500 without wheels. It was a good price just for the fact that the frame was obviously a quality build, and I still ride it to this day as well. Were you in fact building bikes for the US national team in the mid 80s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zen:

Congrats on scoring some really nice bikes. Yes, we did build a number of frames for the track team that year. If you can give me the serial number (bottom ob BB shell) I can give you much more information ... all the design parameters, materials, and the original owner. I don't remember exactly how many frames we made for the team that without digging up the old records, something like five or six track frames. Their original paint jobs that I did were plain white with Murray decals. Let me know what you find.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom, just wanted to follow up now that I've had the opportunity to break in my new randonneuse a bit (pictures at Friday Night Lights # 104). The bike rides like a dream -- very plush and comfortable on the Conti 700 x 28s, and seems to just glide along. But it's no lead sled -- it really moves. Having my load up front with the Berthoud handlebar bag (a first for me, as I've been using a Carradice saddlebag for years) does not kill handling, and makes it much easier to climb. Actually, I guess it's more accurate to say that you and Jeff designed the fork and front rack to optimize handling with the front bag. All in all, you and Jeff simply nailed it. Many thanks! -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanciat View Post
    Having my load up front with the Berthoud handlebar bag (a first for me, as I've been using a Carradice saddlebag for years) does not kill handling, and makes it much easier to climb. Actually, I guess it's more accurate to say that you and Jeff designed the fork and front rack to optimize handling with the front bag.
    Hey Joe:

We're glad that the new bike is working out for you. Actually, what we did to accomplish the climbing and handling that you have experienced is really not some sort of rocket science or magic even though I'd love to claim that we are indeed magic.

First, the climbing improvement; having your bag in the rear up high gives the bike a "tail wagging the dog" feel when you are out of the saddle. Even though your Berthoud bag is fairly high, it is between your handle bars and it is VERY fixed in place. ie, it can't sway back and forth. That is one of the purposes of the way that we have designed our front racks and decaleur. You may have noticed that we stiffened up the bag itself on the inside, again for the same reason.

The handling thing is just a result of forethought. It is no particular chore to get a bike with a loaded front bag handling in a similar way to an unloaded bike. We've just done it a lot before, so we know where to go with the geometry. Enjoy the heck out of your new ride! And the next one? Maybe not purple.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tom,
    RE: "Yes, we did build a number of frames for the track team that year. If you can give me the serial number (bottom ob BB shell) I can give you much more information ... all the design parameters, materials, and the original owner."

Thanks, I appreciate that. One thing though, it's a road bike, not a track bike. I did some research that showed Ben Serrota built a number of the '84 road team bikes, but not all of them. I think Grewal actually rode a Pinarello.

Anyways, The bike sure looks like one of yours based on the pictures of the retro bikes on your website. the seat stay cluster and bottom braket cable guides are identicle. However, the fork crown is a bit different, the gusset (re-enforcer?) is the same, but the crown itself has a bit more detail. The numbers on the BB shell are:

508 5715
    84 029

I've attached a picture with the numbers added via MSpaint to show the placement. I've also attached a picture of the inside of the fork crown.

I'd be interested if the bike was built for a team, as a 'stock' frame for sale in a shop, or a custom build for a private buyer. If it's the case where it was built for a private buyer (custom or not) there's no need to give me their personal information, just confirmation that it's one of your frames will be enough. However, if it was built for sale in a shop or for a team, any information you can legally give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

frame3a.jpgframe5.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's a Spectrum build, that's just my guess though; It looks nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zenxcycle View Post
    Hi Tom, snipped ...

I'd be interested if the bike was built for a team, as a 'stock' frame for sale in a shop, or a custom build for a private buyer. If it's the case where it was built for a private buyer (custom or not) there's no need to give me their personal information, just confirmation that it's one of your frames will be enough. However, if it was built for sale in a shop or for a team, any information you can legally give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

frame3a.jpgframe5.JPG
    OK, the photos show a Ross 508.That frame was built in the Signature shop after I left Ross. Jim Redcay was running the department at that time, but Jeff Duser would likely have been the actual builder. It was the 29th 508 built in '84. That crown is a Takahashi. They were actually pretty nice. We started using them the first year I was at Ross when we developed our fourth model which the 508 replaced. The reason that it looks pretty much like my own work is that production back in the Signature shop just kind of continued after I had left. Actually, the 508 was a really nice frame. Very standard geometry, no surprises, nothing crazy. Enjoy your "new" bike.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com