Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guns

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Guns

The 1st is a Marlin 1895 Cowboy that I restocked. Real nice shooting gun in 45/70. This was my 1st attempt at this kind of work. I started with a stock blank that was 90% inletted. I spent many hours behind the file and sandpaper. I removed much wood from the forend to give it a more classic appearance

The 2nd is a Ruger No 1 that was completely reworked by my brother. Originally a 45/70 also the new barrel is chambered in 30 wcf. The stock was refit and refinished. The action smoothed out and color case hardened. He made a new rib to fit the contour of the bigger barrel. He also did all the engraving and gold work.

Thanks for looking,

Mitch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love that color case hardening on long guns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guns

I'm crazy about the Marlin. Let me know if it needs a caretaker ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Ruger no. 3 in 45-70 for a long time. That caliber is a lot of fun to shoot, but I guess I didn't find it all that practical in daily life, except for the Jeremiah Johnson fantasies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To tell you the truth I've been slowing looking for a winchester 1906 (take down) for plinking. For many yrs. I shot .22 after school twice a week and in boy scouts had access to a 1906. What an awesome fun gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    To tell you the truth I've been slowing looking for a winchester 1906 (take down) for plinking. For many yrs. I shot .22 after school twice a week and in boy scouts had access to a 1906. What an awesome fun gun.
    A Winchester 62A is a fun plinker take-down rifle. I still have mine that was given to me on my twelfth birthday (about a 100 years ago!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also really like the case colors on the Ruger. Who did the restoration?

Last week I purchased a shotgun from a dealer in Texas; it should be to my gunsmith this Thursday.

While my hands didn't make it, lots of handwork went into it at a smallscale Italian production facility (Vincenzo Bernardelli). Here's a bad picture of the action to suffice until I can take a better one later this week.

pix402212093.jpgpix402212515.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I also really like the case colors on the Ruger. Who did the restoration?

Wyoming Armory

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    A Winchester 62A is a fun plinker take-down rifle. I still have mine that was given to me on my twelfth birthday (about a 100 years ago!)
    Neat. Think I'd be happy with that? I might change directions. I was raised by peaceniks, no guns allowed in the house!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    I have one of the Browning 22 semi-auto rifles. It has fancy scrollwork, it's tiny and accurate, and takes down small enough to pack in small panniers for plinking/training rides, ha ha, which I've actually been stupid enough to do a couple of times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Ruger is beautiful! I have a No. 1B in 7 mag that is my one and only for deer and elk. Takes a lot of love to keep it nice in the Oregon fall and winter. Heres a picture of an ad that hangs by my desk. Its from a 1967 magazine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of those Rifles are lovely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love case hardened guns, both the #1 Ruger and the SxS are really good looking.

I recently became caretaker of a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. A 405 grain bullet is a lot of how ya doin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat. Think I'd be happy with that? I might change directions. I was raised by peaceniks, no guns allowed in the house!
    I have a .22 waiting for me in Dad's gun case, and a wife that wants no guns in the house. Is "I just want to go to the range once in a while" going to work?
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, that prob. won't fly. When I was growing up there was a strict no tolerance policy in the house...no guns dot period. I had to borrow a rifle from whatever club I was competing at and if they had nothing to loan I had to arrange for an friend to meet me with a rifle. Some folks can't get comfortable with a gun in the house no matter what. I respect that and we both know there is no price to high to pay for peace in the house ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know what it was, so I look it up. I bet you would find it too small to hold comfortably.

I learned how to shoot with a Winchester 52, which is a single shot bolt action. Pretty big and heavy for a .22, but super accurate. Look for one of those if you want to shoot .22.

Winchester Model 52 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I learned how to shoot with a Winchester 52, which is a single shot bolt action. Pretty big and heavy for a .22, but super accurate. Look for one of those if you want to shoot .22.
    Drool........

Not mine but for sale on Guns America

GunsAmerica - WINCHESTER 52C HEAVY BULL OLYMPIC SIGHTS - Winchester Rifles - Modern Bolt/Auto/Single > Other Bolt Action - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I didn't know what it was, so I look it up. I bet you would find it too small to hold comfortably.

Winchester Model 52 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Good call. I was a sponsored shooter for the (gulp) NRA when I was a kid and the downtown DC club had a rack of those and ancient anschutz. I recall those monsters were alot to hold for a young spindly arm kid. We used a heavy leather strap and I'd wear my dads blue jeans jacket to beef up my skinny body!!! My arms would go numb regardless. hahaha that's a neat rifle but I really would get bored plinking one shot at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....but I really would get bored plinking one shot at a time.
    Then here you go....14 shot tubular mag in the stock. It was a "revolutionary" gun in the 60's and waaaay fun to shoot. A collectors gun today but enough shooters out there to play with.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/3220/995624072/pop_wm_2102856.jpg

I'm not a collector type and all my guns are battered 'working' types but I do own a new/unfired Nylon 666, black with chrome receiver and barrel like this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look into a Ruger 10/22 if you want to pull the loud switch a little more often. Relatively inexpensive and very customizable. You may have to experiment with ammo to get something that feeds consistently, though.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast