Thread: Guns

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guns

Quote Originally Posted by parris View Post
    NOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't post photos of Parkers, Lefevers, Smiths, Foxs, Ithacas, Remingtons, Winchester model 21s, or any other great SxS.
    Please do. Steel shot requirements these days keep me from buying, but I always like to look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a V-Salon tweed ride to the Southern Side by Side Fall Classic down in Charleston, SC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the tweed thing years ago at Sandanona. I would put a vote in for going to Hausmanns in Northern PA for either the Northeastern or the Endless Mountains event. There are some really great courses close by. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
    I am a Parker collector and regularly exhibit some of the better Parkers at the NRA show and regional events. Several responses are in order:
    1. Smokeless powders began use in America about 1890. By 1893-5, Parker was patterning and proof testing all guns, regardless of barrel composition, with smokeless powder.
    2. We have Parker's service load and proof load data. They are the same or less in psi than most modern loads, and complied with SAAMI guidelines.
    3. Parker advertising promoted the guns, again regardless of barrel composition, as made for smokeless powder.
    4. Tests to rupture have shown approximately the same pressures regardless of barrel composition, about 30,000 psi in 12ga, when SAAMI maximum service loads are 11,000.
    5. Most damascus Parkers, and other fine guns, were made after smokeless powder took hold, and have never been used with black powder. Ruptures are caused by barrel obstructions, excessively thin barrels caused by repeated honing, or gross overloading caused by mistake or careless experimentation. Damascus barrels require extra attention to ensure that rust does not begin to seperate the laminae.
    6. D grades were mid grade guns.
    7. A non Parker fluid steel replacement barrel will seriously degrade value.....we value originality.

Not wanting to turn this into a gun debating forum, I suggest that these issues be on the Parker gun forum, or privately message me. I just returned from the Bike Across Kansas ( Kansas has hills , we had high winds, and is usually a mellow ride) and posted photos on that website. I can provide documentation for all points.

Bruce Day
    Hi Bruce..I just now found your posts about Parkers, Ragbrai, etc.. Great info and great to "know" you. Thanks for your responses/clarifications/edumacation on Parkers, Damascus Barrels, etc...

Best,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to House on the Rock in Wisconsin today and was totally blown away. The gun collection was unbelievable. Here's just a few of several hundred.

House on the Rock - a set on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been mildly obsessed with shooting this year. Unfortunately it has affected my saddle time, but not for much longer. I too am digging a Marlin 1895 in 45/70, and the op is freaking gorgeous. Other than that and a few others, it's mostly Russian and black stuff around here. And a target 10/22. Jason, did you pick one up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not yet...only a matter of time though ;-)
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael White View Post
    I had a Ruger no. 3 in 45-70 for a long time. That caliber is a lot of fun to shoot, but I guess I didn't find it all that practical in daily life, except for the Jeremiah Johnson fantasies.
    Under 250 yards it's a great North American large game caliber. The modern loadings for it are top-shelf. Lot to be said for a lever gun...rugged, simple, accurate enough. Lots of fancy rifles and exotic flat-shooting calibers around but I suspect more deer are still put on the table with a lever-action in 30/30 or .35 Remington the anything else except maybe slugs.

My favorite lever gun that my family has....one of the old rotary-magazine Savages chambered in .250 Savage. A great "working gun" for varmints and deer, and the .250 Savage is a pretty hot round for a lever gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite rifle right now is the Remington 5R milspec in .308. It's just a beast. I may be a 250yd shooter, but it's apparently a 1000yd gun in capable hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    My favorite rifle right now is the Remington 5R milspec in .308. It's just a beast. I may be a 250yd shooter, but it's apparently a 1000yd gun in capable hands.
    Well, yeah..isn't it a civilian version of the famed model 700 sniper rifle? That gun has put more bullets right thru the teeth of bad guys from a mile away then anything else out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    Geez brother - that thing...heavy hittin' tack-driver!

What's your 10/22 spec?

I'm thinkin' mine will be something like: Green Mountain barrel, B&C stock, reworked factory trigger group by "ttshooter," radiused bolt, etc, etc. Still haven't figured out glass yet...nor where I can keep it since I live on a school campus.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine was the stock maker/designer for the Remington custom shop for many years before he retired. He told me that during the time he was there the m-24 system was essentially hand built in the custom shop. The guys who built them took a great amount of justifiable pride in the work they did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J, my 10/22 is a factory stock target model (heavy barrel). The glass is the Nikon 22lr-specific P22, which is cool.

photo (1)_2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are ever in NYC or London, drop by the Holland & Holland Gun room. The original .700 nitro express double rifles are things of beauty. The original elephant gun

The National Firearms Museum: Holland & Holland Double Rifle - .700 Nitro Express cal.

The last time I looked, the bespoke model started at 99,000 pounds. (that's pounds boys, not dollars). All the cool kids get a matched set

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100_5069.jpgcolt 012.jpg

Heirlooms, posted here so as to not hijack the bike heirloom thread.

The shotgun is a Parker, barrels made in Paris by the cannonier to Napoleon Bonaparte , and produced a few years after Lt Col Custer aborted a crossing of Little Big Horn Creek. I shoot it regularly today.

The second are a couple Colts, both in .45 Colt, the oldest a 1904.

I have a passion for finely produced mechanical articles.....cars, watches, fly reels, bicycles.....don't get me started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruce the Parker looks to be in very nice shape. Has it been to a restoration smith? As far as age and grade late 1880's early 1890's and c or b? The barrels also appear to be "bernaird"(sp) pattern? Could you post a few more photos? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only the wood has been refinished. This is an 1883 C grade with Bernard barrels. I collect C grades and particularly Bernard barreled C's.

If you are a gun enthusiast, send me a private msg with your email and I'll send you photos. I'm cautious about too much gun involvement on a bike forum. I like a variety of fine mechanical, functional items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do Bruce and I understand where you're coming from. PM coming your way.

on a mountaintop in the middle of the ocean
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd sold my last hunting rifle 2 yr ago--a 30-06 Sako 75 Finnlight. In theory I still have a 1975 Colt-Sauer in the same caliber loaned old, but have decided to pass ownership on to the current holdee. That person is going to be VERY, VERY, VERY happy.

With the Colt-Sauer for 2 seasons I maxed all my tags (6, IIRC) on Mid-Texas White Tail, and also got my best Hawaii Mouflon.

In terms of bird hunting, I've grown up with Beretta doubles. Learned wing shooting on a 410 break-open singleshot Sears Ted Williams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    As it is, in an odd way, the "incorrect" barrels actually increase the gun's value to me, because they add another layer to the story, another tangible connection to my granddaddy.
    Well said. Someday I may inherit fly rods with "incorrect" reels and I'll feel the same way about them.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast