Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guns

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guns

Your classic M-1 Garand - "correct rifle" dated Feb. 1945.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a clean piece.
    HAHAHAHAHA Doug, would it hurt your feelings if I told you that that when I was attending Tel Aviv University I was issued a POS M1 exactly like that and used to have to hammer the butt into the ground everytime it jammed which was often and it looked like a badly worn tree branch? I kept it clean none the less, afterall ;) Over 1 million slightly annoyed customers could not be wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a problem, Mr. Tall. The rifle that won WWII. There are a few of us here that have them, and these rifles are a ton of fun to shoot. Just gotta keep them greased and use decent (milspec) ammo (we buy ours from the CMP; 200 round spam cans with rounds in clips & bandoleers). If you're ever back our way again (i.e.: to visit Douglas or for the Ramble, if that should ever happen again) let me know, and I'll wisk you off to the range and you can relive the old days !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dougblue View Post
    Not a problem, Mr. Tall. The rifle that won WWII. There are a few of us here that have them, and these rifles are a ton of fun to shoot. Just gotta keep them greased and use decent (milspec) ammo (we buy ours from the CMP; 200 round spam cans with rounds in clips & bandoleers). If you're ever back our way again (i.e.: to visit Douglas or for the Ramble, if that should ever happen again) let me know, and I'll wisk you off to the range and you can relive the old days !
    Thank you kindly I will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two gun-related items currently in the mail to me:

1) A 16 gauge Remington Model 58 Sportsman ADL. Not handmade, but I hope it's fun anyway.

2) C.J. Chivers' book on the history of the Kalashnikov called "The Gun". I've heard it characterized as a history of how a mediocre tool managed to shape world events.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Military hardware for your perusal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

newb question. Every rifle I've ever shot (only ~2500ish lifetime rounds) has been way short on LOP for my ape arms. Is there magic formula for this?

Gonna pick up a 10/22 to build up sometime soon. Bottles/cans consider yourself warned...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    newb question. Every rifle I've ever shot (only ~2500ish lifetime rounds) has been way short on LOP for my ape arms. Is there magic formula for this?

Gonna pick up a 10/22 to build up sometime soon. Bottles/cans consider yourself warned...
    I did not know what LOP was until you said it. Thank you Google. Boss, I've shot alot of rifles and you adjust to the gun and shoot it. This is prob. not what you wanted to hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post

Here's a rough guide of how to determine proper LOP on a shotgun. I don't know the specifics with rifles, but I think they're usually a bit shorter than shotguns.

If you're average size (sleeve, shoulder, neck, head, etcetera), you'll probably want a LOP that's longer than factory since most guns come sized out of the box to accommodate smaller shooters (logic: a tall shooter can always shoot a gun that's too short, but a small shooter can't shoot a gun that's too long).

The nice thing about the 10/22 is that there are a million accessories for it. The inexpensive way to lengthen your LOP would be to buy this $9.99 1" stock extender:

Of course the other option is to buy an adjustable target stock:

You may also want to keep an eye out for a used one.

Would be fun, but way overkill for a 10/22 (or any auto). Unless you just want to burn some money on a toy, get the 1" extender I linked above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx a lot. I has a 79" wingspan. I will be using an aftermarket stock anyway - gotta have one to fit the Green Mountain barrel ;-)
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    2) C.J. Chivers' book on the history of the Kalashnikov called "The Gun". I've heard it characterized as a history of how a mediocre tool managed to shape world events.
    C.J. Chivers writes a great blog on the NYTimes about guns discovered in Afghanistan. Sort of a combination of history, anecdote, experience, and practical military tactics. He has a wide ranging readership too if the comments are any indication. Really interesting. His book should be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to go race USPSA Open again. [.38 super]

Attachment 39674

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I've only ever fired an open gun once but it felt like I could just reach out and push targets over with my hand.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit of an antique but I bought it for dollars on the penny. I'm sure it'll end up with a new barrel/comp, probably some slide work/lightning and a refinish on the upper.

Fun game though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    It's a bit of an antique but I bought it for dollars on the penny. I'm sure it'll end up with a new barrel/comp, probably some slide work/lightning and a refinish on the upper.

Fun game though.
    Nice pistol Alec, I ride by the factory once in a while. Springfield Armory, Les Baer, Rock River Arms and a couple others are local to me, nice weapons.

I sold a couple buildings to Brian Mallet, a 2 time national HP champ at Camp Perry he hits what he shoots at.

Have fun with it. Frank
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NovRugerShoot.jpg

WEAK HAND target folks, WEAK hand, unsupported...for a "postal" match.

the Pistol is a Hamilton Bowen Nimrod 5-shot 45 caliber.
    PacNor bbl, the oversized cylinder was bored in-frame, and the sights were made at BCA-for the ultimate in alignment and accuracy. Bowen Classic Arms is located in East TN. They allowed me to visit once. They are highly recommended for any SA Ruger tuning or custom gun making you might have. Smooth like glass action, no creep-no overtravel trigger, unparalleled accuracy and power, fit and finish...

imperfection to the pistolsmith yet good enough for me. + Bowen Classic Arms + Home

Dearly loved it, but had to let it go a while back. Sold it for as much as I paid for it (if you don't count the sacrificial Ruger).

It would handle as much 296/110 powder as you wanted to jam into the case. I chronographed 350-grain LBT's out of it at 1250fps once. (for the novices a 44mag launches _240_-grainers around 1600fps-iirc)

While it would safely do it, that level of power is not fun out of a 3# pistol. I backed down to 900-1000 fps with 300-325 grain LBT wide-meplat PB bullets, which is still plenty enough to turn over a truck. (the 45acp does ~850fps with 230ball)

sold my Kimber SS Target as well.

"replaced" with a "re-issue" Ruger Flattop in 44Special SS. It'll do all i need and packs easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a sawn off shotgun fella myself but since I ballsed up the last bank job n done my bird I stay clear of these pleasures in life.....pack it in boys you'll have me sucuming to me past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    NovRugerShoot.jpg

WEAK HAND target folks, WEAK hand, unsupported...for a "postal" match.

the Pistol is a Hamilton Bowen Nimrod 5-shot 45 caliber.
    PacNor bbl, the oversized cylinder was bored in-frame, and the sights were made at BCA-for the ultimate in alignment and accuracy. Bowen Classic Arms is located in East TN. They allowed me to visit once. They are highly recommended for any SA Ruger tuning or custom gun making you might have. Smooth like glass action, no creep-no overtravel trigger, unparalleled accuracy and power, fit and finish...

imperfection to the pistolsmith yet good enough for me. + Bowen Classic Arms + Home

Dearly loved it, but had to let it go a while back. Sold it for as much as I paid for it (if you don't count the sacrificial Ruger).

It would handle as much 296/110 powder as you wanted to jam into the case. I chronographed 350-grain LBT's out of it at 1250fps once. (for the novices a 44mag launches _240_-grainers around 1600fps-iirc)

While it would safely do it, that level of power is not fun out of a 3# pistol. I backed down to 900-1000 fps with 300-325 grain LBT wide-meplat PB bullets, which is still plenty enough to turn over a truck. (the 45acp does ~850fps with 230ball)

sold my Kimber SS Target as well.

"replaced" with a "re-issue" Ruger Flattop in 44Special SS. It'll do all i need and packs easy.
    One gap in my shootin' life; I have never even held a Bisley-style revolver. That's a nice looking piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    One gap in my shootin' life; I have never even held a Bisley-style revolver. That's a nice looking piece.
    as a take-your-time pistolero, i much love the bisley gripframe and hammer-Ruger has done some limited runs of them in SS. I shall collect them all eventually. Problem is they got "collected" up very quickly. of course, buying straight from Ruger is sort of "kit gun" buying atwo. You have to send it off or tune it up yourself in most cases to get a real shooter. one exception (and the trigger was worked after i got it) is my single six. it's an rough old cob but i can group with it just as well as any full-flaver target 22 out there-i tried.

in the dozens and dozens of rifles and handguns i've owned, i've only had two that quite exceeded expected accuracy for their price-point. that particular single six and an a-bolt. will never sell either.

pow pow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    as a take-your-time pistolero, i much love the bisley gripframe and hammer-Ruger has done some limited runs of them in SS. I shall collect them all eventually. Problem is they got "collected" up very quickly. of course, buying straight from Ruger is sort of "kit gun" buying atwo. You have to send it off or tune it up yourself in most cases to get a real shooter. one exception (and the trigger was worked after i got it) is my single six. it's an rough old cob but i can group with it just as well as any full-flaver target 22 out there-i tried.

in the dozens and dozens of rifles and handguns i've owned, i've only had two that quite exceeded expected accuracy for their price-point. that particular single six and an a-bolt. will never sell either.

pow pow
    Yeah, Bill Ruger always gave value for money, if not refinement. Plenty of Rugers in my family, ranging from the old Mark I that my dairy-farmer uncle kept in the toolbox on the truck, (and often used to poach a little extra Prennsylvania deer meat for the freezer...the How around how you nail a whitetail with a .22 rimfire pistol is another story altogether) to a nice Number 1 rifle that belonged to my old man, chambered for 30.06, to one of the first Red Labels, (now sold) in 20ga. Had an old model Single Six for awhile..it was a fun shooter. That Bowen fella has a really nice old model Vaquero on his website. Yum.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast