Thread: Bicycle Quarterly Reviews the Love #3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bicycle Quarterly Reviews the Love #3

Unsurprisingly, Jan didn't like it. Some choice quotes:

"To my surprise, the bike and I could go significantly faster. The bike was not giving me feedback about how hard I was working. Unlike more flexible frames, it was not enticing me to try harder and go faster."

"the handlebars were about 40 mm higher than I would prefer. Even so, it did not seem to limit my performance."

"I was not prepared for the Pegoretti's lack of acceleration."

"I found the Pegoretti too unstable to inspire confidence."

"Overall, the appeal of the Pegoretti probably lies more in the name and the story behind the brand, rather than the actual bike."

And one bonus...

"This means that bike handling may be less important for professional racers than it is for enthusiast riders who like to explore the limits of tire adhesion as they enjoy their bikes."

Discuss.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bicycle Quarterly Reviews the Love #3

it has to be said -
    this is fucking lame atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was lame. is that how he rode it? 3 sizes too big?
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    that was lame. is that how he rode it? 3 sizes too big? WTF?
    French fit yo.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where can you even begin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly makes sense that bike handling would be less important to a professional bike racer than to a nonracer.
    ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is impossilble to have a serious discussion unless the subject matter is informative, qualified, logical, sensiblel and mature

Quote Originally Posted by mschol17 View Post

"To my surprise, the bike and I could go significantly faster. The bike was not giving me feedback about how hard I was working. Unlike more flexible frames, it was not enticing me to try harder and go faster."

Bikes do not tell you how hard you are working, your Mark One cranium computer tells you how hard your motor is going, if you need a frame to tell you how hard you are leaning on the pedals by bending like a fishing pole then one's circuitry in the top paddock is faulty.
    Hey Migual , go harder the frame Dario made is decieving you! Oh, you won 5 TDF anyhow....

"the handlebars were about 40 mm higher than I would prefer. Even so, it did not seem to limit my performance."
    Oh this is silly, if one so sensitive to frame's giving flex feed back cannot notice the measurable aero dynamic drag of 40mm and the resulting increase in frontal area then ...................
    How was this measured against the real wattage applied to the pedals compared to other flexy frames?
    sounds like wrong colour, and the tubes were bigger than his aesthetic desire, and the frame was not made to fit him
    "Overall, the appeal of the Pegoretti probably lies more in the name and the story behind the brand, rather than the actual bike."
    Jan, it is about time you got a good night's sleep, too much tackle taken on those long night's of PBP
    And one bonus...

"This means that bike handling may be less important for professional racers than it is for enthusiast riders who like to explore the limits of tire adhesion as they enjoy their bikes."
    hey Migual, that bunch of rando riders just dropped you on the decent off the Galibier in the pouring rain as "they explore the limits of tyre ashesion", you're a whimp on your 58mm trail bike

Discuss.
    This is a ridiculous and it is hard to believe one could write this stuff and expect to be taken seriously
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan's a strong rider with very definite opinions, but he often uses pseudo-science to back them up. It wasn't the right bike for him in the first place, nothing wrong with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWheel View Post
    ... but he often uses pseudo-science to back them up.
    gets it atmo.
    Barzini is dead, so is Phillip Tattaglia, Moe Green, Stracci, Cunio. Today
    I settled all family business so don't tell me you're innocent atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWheel View Post
    .... he often uses pseudo-science to back them up.....
    That's a polite way of saying that when he wants to back up some weird notion, he just grabs something out of his ass.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    French fit yo.

Dave
    i prefer french fries
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    i prefer french fries
    Do you mean 'Freedom Fries'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after i saw the saddle, i couldn't possibly take this idiot seriously

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And pretty much everything else. Check out the 15-year old Look MTB pedals...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he would have used some carbon paste on that seat post it wouldn't have slipped so low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this was indurain?
    or some ass writing a blog?

" i rode a bike 3cm too big for me and i didnt like it."
    brilliant analysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is impossible to have a serious discussion unless the subject matter is informative, qualified, logical, sensible and mature
    so I may be lacking in the above

Quote Originally Posted by mschol17 View Post

Bikes do not tell you how hard you are working, your Mark One cranium computer tells you how hard your motor is going, if you need a frame to tell you how hard you are leaning on the pedals by bending like a fishing pole then one's circuitry in the top paddock is faulty.
    Hey Migual , go harder the frame Dario made is decieving you! Oh, you won 5 TDF anyhow....

Oh this is silly, if one so sensitive to frame's giving flex feed back cannot notice the measurable aero dynamic drag of 40mm and the resulting increase in the rider's body frontal area then ...................
    How was this measured against the real wattage applied to the pedals compared to other flexy frames? Where did his pedal wattage disappear while on it's way to twisting the rear hub? How the heck can you grunt a standing start with the handle bars up around your ears?
    sounds like wrong colour, and the tubes were bigger than his aesthetic desire, and the frame was not made to fit him
    Jan, it is about time you got a good night's sleep, too much tackle taken on those long night's of PBP
    And one bonus...

hey Migual, that bunch of rando riders just dropped you on the decent off the Galibier in the pouring rain as "they explore the limits of tyre ashesion", you're a whimp on your 58mm trail bike

Discuss.
    It is hard to believe one could publish this material and expect to be taken seriously by any one with rational thought
    I will try to be a bit more serious,
    No one can test a bespoke builder's product with validity unless it was designed and built for that person doing the testing. It also has to be tested and used if the tester is capable of in the manner the machine was intended to be used. If the bike is a grunt bike and or made for big heavy, tall riders, and the rider has to be able to do the grunt. That Pegoretti is not intended for 24 hours of 80 watt puttering along pedaling.
    Other wise it would be like putting me into driver's seat of Dave's Lotus and do test laps instead of the STIG.
    To do a test in any other manner is irrational, hence invalid and maybe even discriminatory for an intended purpose.
    Just grabing a bike off the shelf, having a different position to your normal trained and hopefully proper biomechancial position, then commenting on lack of frame flex not enticing them to go harded while having the handle bars up 40mm higher is nonsensical if we are speaking about high performance cycling.
    If I rode a bike with a position like that in the photo I would be understandably be creeping * as I do my high performance test!
    Some people need positions like that to ride with comfort and enjoyment, this is cool, correct and rational however that does not mean they can do a detailed, valid high performance bike test and publish it with validity.

* Creeping = Australian cycling technical term for going slow, struggling, cannot scatch myself, get out of my own way..... etc
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    it is impossible to have a serious discussion unless the subject matter is informative, qualified, logical, sensible and mature
    so I may be lacking in the above

It is hard to believe one could publish this material and expect to be taken seriously by any one with rational thought
    I will try to be a bit more serious,
    No one can test a bespoke builder's product with validity unless it was designed and built for that person doing the testing. It also has to be tested and used if the tester is capable of in the manner the machine was intended to be used. If the bike is a grunt bike and or made for big heavy, tall riders, and the rider has to be able to do the grunt. That Pegoretti is not intended for 24 hours of 80 watt puttering along pedaling.
    Other wise it would be like putting me into driver's seat of Dave's Lotus and do test laps instead of the STIG.
    To do a test in any other manner is irrational, hence invalid and maybe even discriminatory for an intended purpose.
    Just grabing a bike off the shelf, having a different position to your normal trained and hopefully proper biomechancial position, then commenting on lack of frame flex not enticing them to go harded while having the handle bars up 40mm higher is nonsensical if we are speaking about high performance cycling.
    If I rode a bike with a position like that in the photo I would be understandably be creeping * as I do my high performance test!
    Some people need positions like that to ride with comfort and enjoyment, this is cool, correct and rational however that does not mean they can do a detailed, valid high performance bike test and publish it with validity.

* Creeping = Australian cycling technical term for going slow, struggling, cannot scatch myself, get out of my own way..... etc
    ink is cheap atmo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

complete lack of competence is wholly shone here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That poor bicycle in that photo.. It looks like it's a ransom photo- "It rubs the proofhide on its saddle"

The man needs a basic quantitative or qualitative research methods course, otherwise his informed opinion is ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast