Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Quarterly Reviews the Love #3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bicycle Quarterly Reviews the Love #3

i think the name calling is warranted. he's far too intelligent not to know he's being an ass by commenting on the handling of a bike where the seat is buried on the tt and the bars are above the seat. it's like buying a set of his Grand Bois Cypres tires in size 30, mounting them on a set of Cosmics and then writing a derogatory article on how they underperformed in the Tuesday night crit. He seems to have a consistent axe to grind when it comes to more modern equipment.

The fact that he didn't insist on testing a bike where the hoods are in close proximity to personal ride tells me the test had no control and this is simply another one of his junk science experiments used to prove his long held bias.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I'm not much of a BQ reader, so I have to ask how often they feature racey bikes as opposed to touring and vintage bikes that I (possibly erroneously) associate with that mag.
    In the current issue, in addition to the Pegoretti, they reviewed a Trek Madone, which they didn't like much either.

Most of the bikes they review are rando-style bikes (mostly steel-framed bikes equipped with fenders and lights for all weather riding). They have also reviewed a fair number of bikes for commuters, like the Breezer line and the Cyvia Hyland. They have only reviewed two all-out touring bikes in the two or three years I've been a subscriber (the Tout Terrain Silkroad, which they hated, and the Surly Long Haul Trucker, which they liked). And, as you mention, they also review vintage bikes.

It might be interesting to note that one reason Jan and his co-reviewer didn't like the Pegoretti is because they felt it did not perform as well as a heavier Curt Goodrich they were riding for comparison purposes.

He also has a pretty lively "letters to the editor" column in his magazine, and in the past has not been shy about printing letters from readers who strongly disagree with what he's written. As a reader, I would be interested in reading a serious critique of his Pegoretti review in the next issue of BQ -- maybe somebody here will submit one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Ok, I get that Dario is somewhat sacred ground around these parts but really, is this kind of name calling really necessary? It's a bicycle review, in a cycling mag, c'mon.
    Jan's an experienced cyclist who loves bikes, like many of you here. He expresses his opinions and observations about the bikes that he rides. Is that really so bad?
    Ride a Pegoretti of your right size and set-up, and read his article again...you know his "opinions and observations" are simply not warranted as a professional cycling mag editor, especially the way he put it. He has no respect for other professional cyclists, a master builder and other Pegoretti owners.

My 6 year old starts playing baseball...he uses a 9" glove not 13". He does not ride my bike either.

If it doesn't fit, you must stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forming such a strong opinion in the review was wrong.
    He knew he wouldn't like it before he lifted a leg over it.
    The sad part is - people read his stuff and consider it gospel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan has reviewed 2 Terraferma bikes. The first was a lighweight steel that had a geometry very similar to the Pegoretti (and to most modern racing bikes) -but unlike the Peg the Terraferma fit him properly. He said the bike was faster then anything he rode, "planed" better as well but he didn't like the handling for the same reasons he didn't like the Pegoretti's handling.

The second Terraferma was a Rando that had fat tires and a trail around 30. It shared the speed and liveliness of the other Terraferma but he loved the handling on the fat tired, low trail bike. His review of a Crumpton Rando (which I think fit him as well) was similar - he loved everything about the bike but was not so happy with the handling as it had a higher trail geometry. Based on his reviews -on 700c bikes with skinny tires he has a preference for a lower range of trail (40-52) -that works better with tires 700x25c or fatter. So his opinion of the handling of the Peg was consistent with all the bikes he has reviewed in the past including bikes that did fit him and were set up as intended.

As for the comments on the unique chainstays effect on stiffness, the comfort factor of the aluminum Pegoretti, etc., those opinions were unique to this bike review.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I can tall you that words like "fucking lame", "out of his ass", "idiot", "ten pounds of shit", "no insight" etc. are really not warranted. .
    ok agreed - i was agreeing with michael's OP and my personal connection got in the way.
    fucking lame may have been impolite but i do feel based on what was posted here that the
    points of view on dario's brand are inane. yes, i know - i can write a letter and maybe see
    it in print 4-5 months later, but the internet is more immediate and i would rather discuss
    this in real time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this has been a vintage asshat week

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was "ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag" you gotta quote the whole thing for emphasis

and if this is an actual quote from the article:

"Overall, the appeal of the Pegoretti probably lies more in the name and the story behind the brand, rather than the actual bike."

then how warranted is that attack on a man's product and craft, Alistair?

He's in indefensible territory, and those here that know Dario and call him a friend are justifiably ripped- it used to be amusing, now it just seems reckless and obsessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoy BQ, look forward to every issue but I really couldn't understand why some of the things said in that article were said.
    Very judgemental without objectivity to back it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the review reminds me of mario andrettis review of the testarossa...

" for the test we put on a set of $29.95 apiece sears bias ply tires to see how it would perform. first wet spot on the road the car spun around 4 times.
    its clear to me that the ferrari would be better off if it was front wheel drive and had room in the back for 3 passengers. plus a small tv for the back seat would be good too.
    the chrysler new yorker is a better car."

when you write stupid shit to be controversial you need to be prepared to be treated disrespectfully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude seems slow witted, both on the bike and off. That's his only excuse...either he's kind of dumb, or ignorant, not much of a cyclist or something in that vein, or this is for some reason an attack on Pegoretti. There is no way that you could know what you're doing and talking about and publish that with a clear conscious. Unless you were just trying to borderline slander someone's product.

Did anyone else know that the bike would look like shit before they saw it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi guys,
    I just sent an invitation to Mr. Heine to join the discussion, may be an opportunity to try to understand his views and for him to understand the views of others.
    In public.
    Thank's
    Dario Pegoretti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    Dude seems slow witted, both on the bike and off. That's his only excuse...either he's kind of dumb, or ignorant, not much of a cyclist or something in that vein, or this is for some reason an attack on Pegoretti. There is no way that you could know what you're doing and talking about and publish that with a clear conscious. Unless you were just trying to borderline slander someone's product.

Did anyone else know that the bike would look like shit before they saw it?
    I would not characterize it as slow-witted. I haven't read the review, and don't intend to, and haven't read the journal in a while. But I know some other people--very bright people with passionate investment in particular views--who I feel share the same sort of myopic thinking. It's called "cognitive bias."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a certain talking points predictability to this review. My impression of it is simple enough: should we have expected anything else? Nothing like a rhetorical question to make the point.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's clear to me, having looked at the photo as the rest of you have, that the fit was not, shall I say, optimal. Two things trouble me: if Mr. Heine is so stupid as not to be taken seriously, why is everyone taking him so seriously?; if it is because Mr. Heine's opinions are damaging to the Pegoretti brand, I ask, "really?" The more people respond to bad rhetoric written badly, the more I question their own ideas and opinions. Jan was not writing about the bike he reviewed (I mean this figuratively). At least Mr. Kirk has a sense of humor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at the review the same way I do some of the stupid opinion pieces you read in the paper or hear on radio.

Guaranteed to drive a bunch of traffic his way and make him feel relevant, and read.

Same sort of phenomenon as the idiots on radio who yap about cyclists.

Still stupid, but the traffic hear and to his magazine will accomplish exactly what he must be looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, is the two-minute hate over yet?

If I were Dario, I'd be more concerned that one of my dealers was supplying the wrong-sized frames to customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Hey, is the two-minute hate over yet?

If I were Dario, I'd be more concerned that one of my dealers was supplying the wrong-sized frames to customers.
    This is a customer who "reviews" bicycles and writes about them.

This is a customer who is supposed to be some sort of "expert".

I greatly doubt he went to a dealer and asked for assistance or guidance in determining fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure that the bike reviewed was supplied by a reader, that is usually how it works with BQ.

vjp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fortunately for all, I don't think there's hardly any crossover in customers. Pegoretti customers probably aren't going to look at that and take it seriously, and anyone who takes Mr Jaine's opinions as the gospel, isn't in the market for a Peg anyway.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock