Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vendetta Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
    Hi Conor,
    Getting here quite late and trying to catch up. I've always felt in a similar situation to you in building part time but one big difference seems that you have more remote customers and I'm more comfortable with locals.

How do you go about things like fitting or other options you offer on Vendettas? What do you do if someone isn't completely comfortable on their current rides?

Cheers,
    Greg
    Hey Greg,

Fitting folks remotely can be an interesting exercise and I approach it as a data gathering experience. I want body measurements, existing bike measurements, and pictures of the person standing and on their current bike. Video is also helpful. If the person is close enough (Seattle, Portland, Bend, etc., ) we'll make arrangements to meet up and that's really ideal, but not workable for everyone.

Sometimes people know what will work for them and they say "give me a 56" or something along those lines. Of course, those are the rare ones.

Normally most clients have a bike that generally works but they want something for a different purpose or like you mention they may not be completely comfortable on their current rides. That's when all of the data and phone conversations are really important.

Another thing that's really worked well is to find a known "fitter" in their area and work with them as an intermediary. It can take a lot of the pressure off but unfortunately not everyone has access to that type of situation, although I have tried actively looking for folks in certain cases.

Ultimately the more data I have the better the discussion and subsequently the better fit.

Thanks,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YiPsan View Post
    Conor,

I missed the chance to speak more with you and Garrett during SD. What is the future of Vendetta as you (and Garrett) see it?
    Renold,

Thanks for hanging out here. Nice to see you. I did stop by your booth in SD but missed chatting with you; hopefully we can have a live conversation sometime in the near future.

In terms of the future - that's a really difficult question. Garrett and I have discussed the topic and right now we're quite happy being where we are; a small, under-the-radar custom frame shop. I don't really see us trying to grow or get any bigger with Vendetta. We have a small and loyal clientèle and we develop personal relationships with each one of our clients. I like that and I believe it provides for a positive experience for the customer.

Still, if any of us could accurately predict the future then we should be using our powers for good. At least I know I would <cough>.

Conor

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor,

It's nice to see you smoked out. You've always been one of the friendlyist and open framebuilding folks on the interweb - spinning of positive energy where ever you go - so Props to You!.

In my opinion, you and Garrett demonstrated, from frame one, among the best defined senses of aesthetic of all the custom builders. When I say this, I mean not only lug designs, but logos, paint color and style, and build-kit choices. Your bikes always seem to visually pop, without going over the top. There is something cohesive about each of your designs, and I have a hard time imagining any of your work feeling especially dated several years from now.

That isn't necessarilly what I expect from a engineering perspective (with no disrespect intended). You've mentioned how the two of you work through designs elements jointly, but what do each of you draw from your backgrounds that you think is important to your aesthetic vision?

Cheers,

RG
    To old to know better

www.cyclesnoir.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CyclesNoir View Post
    Conor,

It's nice to see you smoked out. You've always been one of the friendlyist and open framebuilding folks on the interweb - spinning of positive energy where ever you go - so Props to You!.

In my opinion, you and Garrett demonstrated, from frame one, among the best defined senses of aesthetic of all the custom builders. When I say this, I mean not only lug designs, but logos, paint color and style, and build-kit choices. Your bikes always seem to visually pop, without going over the top. There is something cohesive about each of your designs, and I have a hard time imagining any of your work feeling especially dated several years from now.

That isn't necessarily what I expect from a engineering perspective (with no disrespect intended). You've mentioned how the two of you work through designs elements jointly, but what do each of you draw from your backgrounds that you think is important to your aesthetic vision?

Cheers,

RG
    Hey Rich,

Wow, thanks for the comments. Garrett has often told me that for being a software engineer that I'm fairly "high-functioning." I usually try to take it as a compliment.

I've always felt that a bike should "pop." Your assessment is really the word that I like to use as well. I've always liked adding a pearl topcoat to a paint job on my own bikes as a way of adding a bit of pizzazz and that practice starting carrying over into the bikes that we built.

I distinctly remember dropping off Garrett's frame to be painted (Vendetta #1) and telling the painter to put some gold pearl over the top of the orange. I always liked how a pearl acted outside in the sun while not really being seen under normal indoor lighting or even darkened skies. For the first few frames we weren't really that conscious of it but after a bit we discovered that we had our own style.

Garrett and I both have a common background in cars. Garrett has his own racecar and we both share a knowledge and love of sports cars in general. So it's easy for us to discuss Miura green or mid-sixties Ferrari light-blue metallic or Hugger Orange in that we both share the same vocabulary.

I do think that being engineers helps us with the idea of developing a package and integrating the design into the bike without as you say, "going over the top." Engineering mottos like Keep It Simple Stupid and form-follows-function are part of the training and in the subconscious. It also helps to have an eye for symmetry.

Personally I'm really drawn to - for lack of a better term - iconic designs. Items like the van der Rohe Barcelona chair or a Rolex Sea-Dweller or a Fender Stratocaster or a Porsche 911 all have that feel of timeless design that I find very inspiring.

Thanks again,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I'd like to say I enjoy your pics on FNL and you do wonderful work. My questions are how did you come up with the name Vendetta, and do you only build road type bikes? Have you or would you consider doing mountain or track frames? A mtb with polished stainless lugs would be really sweet.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    First, I'd like to say I enjoy your pics on FNL and you do wonderful work. My questions are how did you come up with the name Vendetta, and do you only build road type bikes? Have you or would you consider doing mountain or track frames? A mtb with polished stainless lugs would be really sweet.
    Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to write.

To answer your question regarding track bikes - I love track bikes, I absolutely adore track bikes. Yes we build track bikes.

As for mountain bike we would definitely do one and you're right a mountain bike with polished lugs would be really sweet. A hard-tail 29'er would be really cool as well. I'm sure a customer will ask for one someday.

Regarding the name Vendetta that's an interesting story. Well, I'll tell the story and then you can decide if it's interesting or not. Garrett and I had been working on the first frame, his frame, and we had been discussing various names. I had initially thought of calling it "Red Kite" which was a happy, fluffy bunny kind of name and also worked well in terms of having a slogan on the chainstay like "one kilometer to go" or some cheesy thing. We were kicking that idea around and after performing a couple of Internet searches we discovered that there was a bike shop already using that name so we decided to come up with something else.

I told Garrett that I had another idea, an idea completely opposite of fluffy-bunny friendly. He asked, “What?” I just simply said, “Vendetta.” He smiled and immediately said, “we’ll chase you down.” We both laughed hysterically and that was it.

Perhaps with there already being a Strawberry and a Vanilla we should have named our company Chocolate. I'm just picturing the Neapolitan styled shared booth display.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Conor, thanks for posting. You mentioned your day job - do you find it challenging to balance your career with your framebuilding? Do you plan to try and grow Vendetta enough to turn it into a full time job?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    Hi Conor, thanks for posting. You mentioned your day job - do you find it challenging to balance your career with your framebuilding? Do you plan to try and grow Vendetta enough to turn it into a full time job?
    Steve,

It can be somewhat challenging to balance work with framebuilding. I don't see what we do as a hobby and am careful to treat it as a real business which does take time and energy.

As of now we don't have any plans turn Vendetta into a full-time job. Currently the business isn't at a level where it would support that and Garrett and I are quite comfortable being small.

Thanks for the question.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Conor,

You're right on about Andy. I can't say enough about the guy. I think we've got a nice little framebuilder community going on here in Oregon, and I really appreciate how much expertise you guys have shared with me over the last few years. Conor's wife is also a very accomplished photographer, and I had the privilege one day of having her come to my shop and take some photos.

What's your favorite bike Vendetta has produced, and is there anything rattling around in your head that you'd like an excuse to build?

Thanks for all those hours I spend sanding stainless lugs attempting to match the clarity of yours. HA!

- Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bfarver View Post
    Hey Conor,

You're right on about Andy. I can't say enough about the guy. I think we've got a nice little framebuilder community going on here in Oregon, and I really appreciate how much expertise you guys have shared with me over the last few years. Conor's wife is also a very accomplished photographer, and I had the privilege one day of having her come to my shop and take some photos.

What's your favorite bike Vendetta has produced, and is there anything rattling around in your head that you'd like an excuse to build?

Thanks for all those hours I spend sanding stainless lugs attempting to match the clarity of yours. HA!

- Ben
    Hey Ben,

I'm definitely in the camp of people that would like to see Andy get more props for his 35+ year commitment to the craft.

As for a favorite bike there are several that I really, really like but one really stands out in that the customer gave us the freedom to do what we wanted and only expected it to be "special." In fact that's what he told us, "make it special and I don't like purple." I'm sure that Garrett would agree with me that the finished frame was both challenging and rewarding.

I always have something in my head that I'd like to build. A new track bike or a new single-speed commuter or something. I do think that for us the next evolution would probably be designing and building our own lugs either as one-off customs or something to be cast as a signature line. Hmm...

Take care,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Conor,

I think you two are on to something good and I'm a fan.

What is it about Vendetta that draws your customers in? Is that "Vendettaness" something that you set out to define or is it something that has evolved naturally and defined itself?
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Hi Conor,

What is it about Vendetta that draws your customers in? Is that "Vendettaness" something that you set out to define or is it something that has evolved naturally and defined itself?
    Sean,

That's an interesting question. Generally speaking I think what draws folks to our stuff is the same that would draw other folks to other stuff. Maybe that doesn’t really make very much sense but I’ve observed that people that our interested in our bikes seem to have shared interests with either Garrett or myself. Just as I’m sure your bikes and designs are a expression of what you like to do our bikes are reflections of what we like. Initially people see a bike or a frame and it creates some sort of response. Perhaps they see a bike in person at a show like NAHBS or SDCBS or they see a picture on-line. In most cases I would say that the initial exposure is visual. They could see a carved lug that they like or an entire bike that invokes that original reaction. I think our look - what Garrett and I call our Hot Rod Aesthetic is distinctive and very much part of Vendetta or "Vendettaness” as you put it.

Thinking about its evolution it was something that evolved naturally almost unconsciously as we started out. My original intention and still an underlying theme is that a bike should “pop” – the same word used by Rich – and that the bike should look like and integrated, finished piece. This idea carries through not just paint colors but to lugs, seatstay attachements, brake bridges and all the other decisions one makes while fabricating a bicycle.

Thanks for the question and I hope you and your family is doing well.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    Yo,

How do most of your customers find you? Do you do much local business or are the bulk of your customers from far and wide?

dave

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Hi Conor,

As a proud owner of a beautiful Vendetta bicycle, let me chime in as to how and why I chose Conor and Garrett to build a custom single speed/fixie for me.

I met Conor and Garrett at the NAHBS show in San Jose a few years ago. I was referred to them by Dave Thompson, a buddy from the Serotta Forum. On display in their booth in San Jose was, among others, Conor's beautiful black track bike with polished lugs. As anyone who has met them can attest, they are both very personable and friendly. We talked for a while and I liked the idea that Conor was an experienced cyclist with knowledge of metallurgy and Garrett was an engineer. At that time, I had ordered custom bikes from other builders with lengthy waiting lists and, in contrast, Vendetta had a very short waiting list, if any. I felt comfortable and confident with them as competent and qualified builders, even if they had only made a few bikes. I decided to order a bike from them. Conor and I walked over to Richard Sachs's booth to select lugs and we discussed tube choices.

Working with Conor during the design and build was great. We further discussed tube choices, polishing the lugs, paint color and the selection of components. There were lots of email communication and updates with photos. I was kept well apprised of the entire process.

In summary, it was a pleasure working with Conor and Garrett and I have recommended them to other potential buyers. I allowed them to display my bike at the Indianapolis NAHBS.

The end result: Vendetta Cycles Track/Single-speed Gallery/Who Want's Kandy? (Since the photos were taken, a custom, matching lugged stem has been added.)

Thank you for the special bike, Conor and Garrett.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Byrnes View Post
    As a proud owner of a beautiful Vendetta bicycle, let me chime in as to how and why I chose Conor and Garrett to build a custom single speed/fixie for me.

I met Conor and Garrett at the NAHBS show in San Jose a few years ago. I was referred to them by Dave Thompson, a buddy from the Serotta Forum. On display in their booth in San Jose was, among others, Conor's beautiful black track bike with polished lugs. As anyone who has met them can attest, they are both very personable and friendly. We talked for a while and I liked the idea that Conor was an experienced cyclist with knowledge of metallurgy and Garrett was an engineer. At that time, I had ordered custom bikes from other builders with lengthy waiting lists and, in contrast, Vendetta had a very short waiting list, if any. I felt comfortable and confident with them as competent and qualified builders, even if they had only made a few bikes. I decided to order a bike from them. Conor and I walked over to Richard Sachs's booth to select lugs and we discussed tube choices.

Working with Conor during the design and build was great. We further discussed tube choices, polishing the lugs, paint color and the selection of components. There were lots of email communication and updates with photos. I was kept well apprised of the entire process.

In summary, it was a pleasure working with Conor and Garrett and I have recommended them to other potential buyers. I allowed them to display my bike at the Indianapolis NAHBS.

The end result: Vendetta Cycles Track/Single-speed Gallery/Who Want's Kandy? (Since the photos were taken, a custom, matching lugged stem has been added.)

Thank you for the special bike, Conor and Garrett.

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. I especially appreciate that you liked our frequent communication during the build process. It's very important to us to keep our clients "in-the-loop" and we work hard to create a positive experience.

I'll have to update your gallery with a couple of pictures showing your new stem. A lugged stem works really well with a lugged bike and adds to overall package.

As an FYI this picture is featured in the Custom Bicycles, A Passionate Pursuit Book, by Christine Elliot and David Jablonka on page 223. Of course, it's not as big.

I'll send you a copy.

Thanks again,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi gentlemen,

Thanks for taking time to explain more about your frames and your work here at VS. I chatted with you briefly at the NAHBS show in Portland 2 years ago and again at the Oregon Framebuilders show last Fall. I really enjoyed the conversation, and have your site "bookmarked" so I can check for updates in your (well done) gallery.

I just wanted to add, for anyone who hasn't seen the bikes in person, that they really are stunning in person. The level of finish and detail on the bikes is terrific.

A guy can always dream about the next bike...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Hi gentlemen,

Thanks for taking time to explain more about your frames and your work here at VS. I chatted with you briefly at the NAHBS show in Portland 2 years ago and again at the Oregon Framebuilders show last Fall. I really enjoyed the conversation, and have your site "bookmarked" so I can check for updates in your (well done) gallery.

I just wanted to add, for anyone who hasn't seen the bikes in person, that they really are stunning in person. The level of finish and detail on the bikes is terrific.

A guy can always dream about the next bike...
    Thanks for the great comments. Please be sure to drop by the Oregon Bicycle Constructors show again this fall. I expect it will be in October again.

Additionally I'll be traveling to Austin for NAHBS next February.

Come by and we'll chat some more.

Thanks again,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something that came out pretty cool and I just had to share.

We've been making some fillet brazed stems now as a companion to go along with the stainless lugged stems. Hey, some folks like chocolate and others like vanilla.

Anyway Garrett and I were never really excited with the front brake cable routing options and thought it would be nice to do it through the stem. (Sure it's been done before.)

We decided to use some brass tubing and part of an internal cable stop (normally for top tubes/rear brakes) and some presto-chango we came out with this:

Needless to say I'm quite thrilled with result and I really think the customer will be as well.

I definitely see us doing more of this in the future.

I'm also pleased with the camera bokeh on the flowers in the background.

Thanks for checking it out.

Conor

p.s. Yes, we ran a cable through it and it all works as planned.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey conor - you're a (now) long-time ss lug user/polsher/seller...
    does the process and also the remuneration speak to you the same way it did when you first took this direction?
    is there a crossroad at which you tire of the labor for any reason at all and would rather focus on another aspect
    of assembly that is less time consuming? do you feel you "must" continue the ss thing for any specific reason, even
    if it's just because atmo? i'll cop to my reasons for asking way up front; the operation clearly gets folks to look at
    frames, but if the work involved increases to a point that it slows the rest of the units in the queue from being made,
    is it all worth the while? it's a serious question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    hey conor - you're a (now) long-time ss lug user/polsher/seller...
    does the process and also the remuneration speak to you the same way it did when you first took this direction?
    is there a crossroad at which you tire of the labor for any reason at all and would rather focus on another aspect
    of assembly that is less time consuming? do you feel you "must" continue the ss thing for any specific reason, even
    if it's just because atmo? i'll cop to my reasons for asking way up front; the operation clearly gets folks to look at
    frames, but if the work involved increases to a point that it slows the rest of the units in the queue from being made,
    is it all worth the while? it's a serious question.
    Great question, Richard. From a builder’s perspective, polishing adds a significant amount of time the framebuilding process, this time investment has a relatively low financial return, and sanding stainless lugs is, frankly, not very fun. From a customer perspective, the polishing adds a significant amount of cost to the frame without adding anything to its function. So what on earth would cause a builder or customer to “go down the stainless path?”

For us, the answer is at the core of why we build custom bicycles in the first place: Because that’s what our customers want, and we can do a good job of it. We’ve made essentially this same decision in other aspects of building frames. For example liquid paint is less durable than powder coating, as well as being more expensive, so why go liquid? The answer is simple: liquid paint provides a depth and variety of color that simply can’t be matched with powder, and it doesn’t bury our lug lines.

The simple fact that lugged steel bicycles are generally not economically viable for the mass producers provides custom builders with an opportunity to provide something more unique and special for our customers. And after waiting for many months and paying thousands of dollars for a bicycle, we believe we owe our customers something special. Polishing stainless is simply an extension of this philosophy—adding a labor-intensive process that makes a custom bicycle more special for the rider. This is the reason that about 2/3 of our customers commission some sort of polishing on their bicycles—lugs, stem, or logos.

Thanks,

Conor & Garrett

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post
    Great question, Richard. From a builder’s perspective, polishing adds a significant amount of time the framebuilding process, this time investment has a relatively low financial return, and sanding stainless lugs is, frankly, not very fun. From a customer perspective, the polishing adds a significant amount of cost to the frame without adding anything to its function. So what on earth would cause a builder or customer to “go down the stainless path?”

<cut>

cool atmo.
    as long as you are remunerated well.
    i wanna see you guys around for a while.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast