Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kirk Frameworks

Quote Originally Posted by timdude View Post
    Here's what he came up with we decided to go with a H of C candy aztec yellow over silver metallic, he thought the black decals would show up better on the yellow, instead of the candy red. Also we decided against the lug linings we liked the paint contrast against the lugs , and my HJ decals had a yellow background.

One other note you received very high praise on a club ride last night with the Louisville Bicycle Club. You built #174 for Dave King the ride captain he went on and on about how great an experience it was.

Tim
    Very cool color - I'll bet it looks a foot deep in the sun and even better in the diffused light of late afternoon.

Cool you got to ride with Dave King. He's a good guy and one of a few Kirk owners in that area.

Enjoy the ride!

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dave,

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm considering my first custom bike, and for many reasons, including your extremely informative posts on this forum and others, a Kirk is at the top of my list. In particular, I'm considering a JKS X, both because I weigh 190 lbs and because OS tubing looks cool, dangit. To that end, I've got a few questions. Why did you choose Reynolds 953 over Columbus XCr? Why did you choose to carry over the stays from the JKS on the JKS X? And, finally, is it possible to fillet braze 953?

Thank you much,
    D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derailer View Post
    Hi Dave,

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm considering my first custom bike, and for many reasons, including your extremely informative posts on this forum and others, a Kirk is at the top of my list. In particular, I'm considering a JKS X, both because I weigh 190 lbs and because OS tubing looks cool, dangit. To that end, I've got a few questions. Why did you choose Reynolds 953 over Columbus XCr? Why did you choose to carry over the stays from the JKS on the JKS X? And, finally, is it possible to fillet braze 953?

Thank you much,
    D
    Thanks for the note and the interest in my work and for 'calling' for the first time.

Here are a few answers for you -

* I didn't so much choose 953 over XCr as I did choose reynolds s a company. I have a decades long relationship with the good folks at Reynolds and I like and trust them. I've been using 953 on the JKS variants for a number or years and like the way the material works and rides and seeing the specs of the XCr feel no compelling urge to change. When I decided to offer a bike with XL tubes I looked at the specs of 953 and they fit what I wanted and needed so it was the natural place to go.

* The chain and seat stays of the JKS are more than stiff and strong enough for even the largest and strongest riders so I feel that there is no need to go even stiffer. I did however want the main tubes to be stiffer than OS tubes to make the frame stiffer torsionally and to make a more stable platform to support the larger and more powerful rider.

* I hear that one can fillet 953 with special flux and rod but I have never played with this and am not tempted to go in that direction frankly. I love working with the Llewellyn lugs used on all the JKS variants and love the way they work and look. I feel confident that all JKS's will use Dazza's lugs for a very long time.

I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you'd like any more info and I'll get right back to you.

Thanks again,

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com