Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Bicycles

Third shop in about as many years- I think I'm getting a hang for this moving thing. On the upside I have been developing better work flow and reducing my clutter each time.

Here is the basic layout for the moment:

By the low interior window I have tube and parts storage, my "office" and a desk that is on it's way to becoming a dedicated assembly and packing station. Out of frame I also have a shelving unit and storage for build kits. Along the windows are the tacking fixture and the heart of the establishment, my vise and pedestal. If I had to chuck it all and go back to square one I'd sneak this with me. Opposite the storage wall is my lathe- big enough to pretty well take up the whole side save my mitering center. The alignment table rounds out the set up.

New additions:
    Wheel rack.

The ceilings are about 20' with the cross beams at about 12'. This dropped rack allows me to hang two rows of wheels with some overhead for boxed rims and fenders without having to go "all the way" or use a hook.

And my current new toy- the rolling work station!

I hate horizontal work space, or at least my inate ability to make any flat surface a catch all. This tool cart has a small butcher block top , a peg board, and drawers for all of my most reached for tools. Facing the camera is the file rack, and oposite is an air manifold. I'll be able to have easy access to hand, air and power tools anywhere in the shop and will only have to worry about a single air hose and electrical cord on the floor.

I met with my first client in the new shop today, and wrapped up Mark's fork as the first project. I still need to run power to the lathe and add a few interior walls, but I'm up and running again, and that feels great.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 08-05-2011 at 12:30 AM.