Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Bicycles

That's a great quote Eric. Nice to see they got a good one in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rouge Valley Messenger wrote a little preview piece for this years Southern Oregon Custom Classic, an art opening that combines painting, tattoos and bikes.

Not Your Pop's Tattooed Bikers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out with the old-

In with the new-

Hammer time-

The car is packed, and I'm headed down to the SOCC (see above) in Grants Pass. Should be a fun time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just uploaded a series of photos for the "Wanderer" frame set. This 650b all roads bike was photographed by Mark Dawson at last years NAHBS. It also took home "Best Randonee/ Touring" at the last Bespoked in Bristol.

Gallery Link

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After taking some time to get the shop up and running I am finally back at work. The shop isn't "done", but its usable enough to help me catch up. Thanks to all of my clients for their patience during the move.

In addition to the projects on the board, I have a hankering to build a few Japanese styled classic lugged bikes, but with a Winter flair. If you are interested, hit me up and we can discuss some details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love your work and aesthetic, Eric. For the uninitiated (such as myself), what constitutes a japanese-style lugged bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this particular case I mean bikes with a similar lug cut to the Nagasawas, 3Renshos and Kalavinkas of the 80's/ 90's. I think of Japanese bikes from that time as Italian inspired, but where lug cuts started to have a more regional flavor.

Cinelli lugs (here on a Dazzan)

3Rensho lug

A Winter take based on the 3Rnsho

For these bikes I am specifically interested in building some sporty frames in classic tube dimensions with a Japanese inspired "feel". I'm pretty open to the "type" of bike (road/ rando, etc) based on what folks want to use them for. I really enjoy refining these lugs into something very clean, without being overly carved or ornate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    For these bikes I am specifically interested in building some sporty frames in classic tube dimensions with a Japanese inspired "feel". I'm pretty open to the "type" of bike (road/ rando, etc) based on what folks want to use them for. I really enjoy refining these lugs into something very clean, without being overly carved or ornate.
    Sounds like a really interesting project and I'm sure you'll nail it. I just spent some time in your gallery and I have to say your work is awesome. I must have gone back to the "Thin Iggy" photos 5 times. Amazing. I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just uploaded a series of photos for the "Wanderer" frame set. This 650b all roads bike was photographed by Mark Dawson at last years NAHBS. It also took home "Best Randonee/ Touring" at the last Bespoked in Bristol.

Gallery Link

Nice, nice bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few months ago I was contacted by a gentleman with a very sad CSI. It had a pretty mangled top tube, and a nice seat tube dent from clamping. It was his hope to bring it back, but also to have it reworked to fit longer reach brakes, take fenders, and while we were at it, allow for a disc brake upgrade.

Sad tube:

Getting to it:

New tube:

Brake and fender provisions:

New fork, with scallops to match the stay treatment on the frame:

Disc ready:

Fender check:

I was asked for a fun green- this seemed like a nice option:

Add some decals, and it's ready to roll!

The full repair set can be found here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

THAT turned out HOTT Eric. Nice work!
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the field:

I was just sent this photo and note- this stuff makes my day.

"I thought you might enjoy this photo of the guides on my present cyclo-vacation who are (now) fans of your work. You may recognize one of them!...I'm on the Cinghiale (Hampsten) tour in Tuscany... The bike has been sublime. Thank you. "

Thank you! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_4101.JPGI finally got your letter - I think it had an adventure.
    The check clogged the gizmo at the bank!
    Do you like the Prestige HT's?
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep- they landed. Sounds like they took a more direct trip! Considering the huge volume of in coming and outgoing post from the shop, I'm still constantly amazed. I got a shipment to my door from Taiwan in three days- including packing it and getting it through customs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hurt magnet:

So the other day I discovered I had cut my finger by rubbing flux in it.

Not one to leave well enough alone, I spent the day rubbing brass dust into it while working on some fillets.

Why stop there? Since I was on a roll I figured I might as well burn in a rack tab:

I'm a little scared to see what tomorrow escalates with...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little of topic...

Yesterday I met with Jaesy-Jay Anderson, Olympic Gold medalist, board builder, and overall nice guy. He was training and testing with his team up at Hood. I emailed him a bit before the trip tire kicking, and we got to talking about the boards. As luck would have it, I was heading north for some work when he had some time to kill after dropping team mates at the airport.

We met up in PDX and ended up talking for a little over 3 hours. We both build high end niche sporting equipment- it was really fun to geek out not only on the boards, but the business side of things. There are quite a few parallels with what we do- tailoring the specifics of the product to the rider and their uses, personality and tastes. Real nice guy, and very excited about what he's doing. It felt quite a bit like being on the other side of a conversation I have with my clients.

After about 2 hours we both though we were done, and I got in the truck. After another hour of chatting (I got out of the truck) with the lights on I ended up getting a WC winning jump start. What a goofball.

I picked up a very cool slalom board- check out his stuff if you are in the need for new race or freeride gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just updated a new web gallery for the . The "1918" is a modern reinterpretation of a classic Columbia Military Model as ordered by the US government during WWI.

I tried to keep it very close to the spirit of the original while updating the fit (much smaller) the brakes (two hand activated drum brakes from a single rear coaster) and the shifting (5 speed internal from the originals single speed). The internal cables and stem shifter help preserve the original profile. The front drum brake bracket is integrate into the fork to appear seamless, while the rear is a chrome strap- a detail you can see in the original catalog advert.

A fun detail are the inset pennies-one from 1914, and one from 1918. These were supplied by the client and bracket the war.

Many of my bikes are made with a nod to the past. Some, like the M1918R, are made with specific historic reference. I have recently added a subcategory on the web site where I will be adding bikes made in these Historic Patterns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just updated a new web gallery for the . The "1918" is a modern reinterpretation of a classic Columbia Military Model as ordered by the US government during WWI.

I tried to keep it very close to the spirit of the original while updating the fit (much smaller) the brakes (two hand activated drum brakes from a single rear coaster) and the shifting (5 speed internal from the originals single speed). The internal cables and stem shifter help preserve the original profile. The front drum brake bracket is integrate into the fork to appear seamless, while the rear is a chrome strap- a detail you can see in the original catalog advert.

A fun detail are the inset pennies-one from 1914, and one from 1918. These were supplied by the client and bracket the war.

Many of my bikes are made with a nod to the past. Some, like the M1918R, are made with specific historic reference. I have recently added a subcategory on the web site where I will be adding bikes made in these Historic Patterns.
    Nice! Love those pre 1918 pennies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! We have a 1914 and a 1918 on there, dates up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be a dumb question, but what was the original purpose of the double top tube?