Thread: Winter Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Bicycles

Thanks!

I just wrote a follow up post to to some of these photos. In it I describe some of the non-bike happenings around a frame shop: Around the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a bit since I've blogged, so in addition to the above I thought I'd play a little catch up and describe the recent fork I've been working on.

K's fork- sculptural brazing describes some of the steps I took to dimensionally match his older crash damaged unicrown.

"Painted up the results were just as I wanted- seamless transitions with no hint of the process. It is as it should be- unnoticeable."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I do any sort of video my two primary goals are to stay articulate and not come off like a total ass. I think I pulled that off.

Steven Shand and I spoke about European and US frame building at Bespoked:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Schoeck stopped in to shoot some video and stills at Winter Bicycles. His NewsLab story and video are now online at the Register Guard (local paper):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anecdote of the day:
    -A very happy customer took a test ride on her new bike. She's quite tall and had never had a bike fit. From the moment she slung her leg over it was all smiles and giggles. She hit the electric shifting- more smiles and giggles. On the way home she let an even taller friend hop on for a test ride. Smiles and giggles. A few days later I heard from her husband that the effect had not yet worn off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While pursuing the magazine stand at the local grocery I picked up the July issue of Road Bike Action. To my pleasant surprise this issue has a feature on NAHBS. To my even more pleasant surprise I found a photo of my work and the delightful remark:

"Eric Estlund, the owner/operator of Winter Bicycles, obviously understands what the purest definition of beauty is."

Thanks to Zap and the RBA folks. Check it out on a newsstand near you.

(not their photo, but the same bike. This photo by David Rangel.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class Eric, well deserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Anecdote of the day:
    -A very happy customer took a test ride on her new bike. She's quite tall and had never had a bike fit. From the moment she slung her leg over it was all smiles and giggles. She hit the electric shifting- more smiles and giggles. On the way home she let an even taller friend hop on for a test ride. Smiles and giggles. A few days later I heard from her husband that the effect had not yet worn off.

Cool story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops- double post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to Luke's question- internal routing is fairly straight forward. Poke a hole and feed a line. Like anything, the devil is in the details.

Last edited by Eric Estlund; 06-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last week I met up with my friend Anthony Bareno of Velo Cult (formerly of San Diego, now up in Portland). Anthony was kind enough to shoot a bike for me:

Anthony took a series of photos for a new summer rig I dubbed the "Thin Iggy"- a sloping top tube frame made with modern alloys in classic diameters. I built this up as a summer all-arounder for the types of riding I normally find myself in. It will clear 25's and fenders, currently wears 28 Nomads, and if I really want some cush will take the 35mm Resist Nomads (32mm actual). It has Force mechanicals, Tektro stoppers and Cook Brothers "compact" cranks. The powder was a collaboration with my friend Bob over at Custom Powderworks in prep for some other projects i have cooking.

Prolly and CycleExif were kind enough to pick it up, and you can see the full photo set over in my web gallery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sky at Velo Cult said to bring my Winter by for photos after I clean it up. The only problem is cleaning it up... Every time I clean it, I just go right out and get it filthy again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen, brother.

Bring it in dirty! I like photos of real bikes, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next move...

I have been at my current location for just over a year. Originally I set up here as a temporary location, but had trouble finding things closer to home. It's been good, but I've been wanting to have my own place, and preferably one that was a little bit closer to home (and less at the whim of the outside weather).

Well, looks like I found all of those things.

The new space is HUGE, and the unfinished concrete box I've always wanted. Playing to my hermit-like tendencies there is one other tenant in the 8,000(+) sqft building. The above photo only shows about half the space- I couldn't back up enough to get it all in frame.

There are a few working updates I need to make, but the hope is to start trucking over stuff in the next few weeks. I'll post updates as I get there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats, Eric!
    I look forward to seeing what you do with the space. No more nuke-proof slab for a floor? :)

Sean Patrick Smith
    Lead Hobbyist
    Easkey Bikes
    Modesto, CA USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still thick, but not as thick. I do have my own roll up door now- good trade!

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Eric - NICE coverage of you in the current Rouleur atmo.
    It's Winter Time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool to see you movin' on up, Eric. You probably don't remember me, but we met long ago at Reed and talked bikes for an evening over at Tom and Sharon's.

Glad to see you doing so well!

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    The next move...

I have been at my current location for just over a year. Originally I set up here as a temporary location, but had trouble finding things closer to home. It's been good, but I've been wanting to have my own place, and preferably one that was a little bit closer to home (and less at the whim of the outside weather).

Well, looks like I found all of those things.

The new space is HUGE, and the unfinished concrete box I've always wanted. Playing to my hermit-like tendencies there is one other tenant in the 8,000(+) sqft building. The above photo only shows about half the space- I couldn't back up enough to get it all in frame.

There are a few working updates I need to make, but the hope is to start trucking over stuff in the next few weeks. I'll post updates as I get there!
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jim-

Did we do the big gesticulating thing in the small apartment? If you are ever in this neck of the woods give me a shout!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good words- several pages of Winter coverage in the current Rouleur. Thanks to Ian and Andy for the fun visit- I'm glad they enjoyed themselves and found it useful. I've really enjoyed my across-the-pond developing friendships from the past year or so.

They had some nice things to say, which is always very much appreciated. I hope to bump into them again this year in Bristol. Check them out.