Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shamrock Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shamrock Cycles

Tim, I look forward to stopping by in Austin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim:
    I think you just described the "soul" put into a handcrafted frame. Sure it's metaphysics but it works for me. Thanks............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome Tim. Thanks.

Jayme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was great
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work Tim! You almost make me want to move back to Indiana... almost... ;-)
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim. Thank you for doing all you do. That was awesome. Thanks for sharing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This goes without saying but I will say it anyway, if any of you are in Austin for the show please make it a point to stop by, say hi, and maybe share a beer. A face to face meeting is and always will be more meaningful than exchanging pleasantries on a message board.

Thank you to all and I am very excited for NAHBS. My stuff rolled out of the Mountains of Indiana about one hour ago. Everyone think positive thoughts to make sure it all arrives safe and sound.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work at the show and with your booth. And it was good to see some triple F drops in someone else's build.

Keep up the good work.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dave. The dropouts are nice to work with. I've used them on a couple frames. I like.
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My NAHBS Regret

So now that I have had a few days to look back on Sacramento and process the sights and sounds I am left with a really good vibe about the whole thing. NAHBS (this was my fourth) is unlike most gatherings. It has its own drummer and drum beat.

For the record, I am not typing this to complain about too many French-style bikes, or fenders and racks, or the lack of "real" bikes. I don't give a damn about any of that. I don't give a damn what another builds or brings to the show. It is none of my business and if they pay for the booth and hang their stuff out there for all the world to see and judge then goddammit they are OK in my book and I am honored to call them my peers. Those stones cast by others offend me and I won't be a part of it.

No, my regret is something else. Once a year I get the privilege of standing toe to toe with a room full of people who speak my language. For 362 days a year it seems I am the only person on the planet who is dealing with the successes and failures that find me on a daily basis. If this shit is consuming me how the hell is it that it is only happening to me? The answer is it isn't. NAHBS confirms that. I am part of a tribe and I am honored.

To the problem now. Recognizing that NAHBS is something of a catharsis for me and I get one shot a year at it, I wish there was more time for builder-to-builder interaction. The show is so successful and the hall is so jam packed with people that it is nigh on impossible to venture out and talk to other builders. Let alone quality discussions beyond the typical superficial chit-chat. I hate that I can't do that. I fucking hate it.

I made it a point to spend 30 minutes each day wandering around and looking at other booths. If that meant that for 30 minutes a day questions went unanswered in my own booth then so be it. A small price to pay. I am not selling chewing gum at the checkout aisle. This isn't an impulse buy and if they are serious then they will be back. But even then it was impossible to really talk. Perhaps this gets to Sach's point but I don't want to put words in the man's mouth. He is a grown up and can speak for his damn self. But perhaps my desire, nay need, to interact with my peers isn't all that important to other builders. Maybe other builders are perfectly content showing up with their friends and family and keeping the circle that tight. Every night I was looking to have dinner with other builders. Every night I walked through the hotel bar to see if anyone was having a drink. Would it be an opportunity for me to sit down and share 10 or 15 minutes of talk and a drink with a peer and then move on? I am not sure how many other builders did that. Last year by pure happenstance I found myself having breakfast with Drew Guldalian and Mike Zancanato. We all happened to be at the same place at the same time with our family having a quick bite. As silly as it sounds it was one of the more memorable events of the weekend because it was such a rare opportunity.

What is the answer? Don't know. The show has grown to the point where those peer-to-peer moments don't happen. Does it mean a Thursday night dinner/party for only builders (no entourage, no posse)? That is a good start but I'm not sure how many builders would care to show up.

I guess I just feel like I watched some good pitches go by and now I have to wait till Denver before I get back up to the plate.
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My NAHBS Regret

Those crêpes ruled. That time was a highlight of the weekend for me too, Tim.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks tim for saying what i think. i love the post nahbs glow....makes me think i'm kinda sorta doing something right or at least there are a bunch of other smart, good and awesome people i have the utmost respect for that are doing the same thing.

and the award for best shamrock goes to....

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post
    So now that I have had a few days to look back on Sacramento and process the sights and sounds I am left with a really good vibe about the whole thing. NAHBS (this was my fourth) is unlike most gatherings. It has its own drummer and drum beat.

For the record, I am not typing this to complain about too many French-style bikes, or fenders and racks, or the lack of "real" bikes. I don't give a damn about any of that. I don't give a damn what another builds or brings to the show. It is none of my business and if they pay for the booth and hang their stuff out there for all the world to see and judge then goddammit they are OK in my book and I am honored to call them my peers. Those stones cast by others offend me and I won't be a part of it.

No, my regret is something else. Once a year I get the privilege of standing toe to toe with a room full of people who speak my language. For 362 days a year it seems I am the only person on the planet who is dealing with the successes and failures that find me on a daily basis. If this shit is consuming me how the hell is it that it is only happening to me? The answer is it isn't. NAHBS confirms that. I am part of a tribe and I am honored.

To the problem now. Recognizing that NAHBS is something of a catharsis for me and I get one shot a year at it, I wish there was more time for builder-to-builder interaction. The show is so successful and the hall is so jam packed with people that it is nigh on impossible to venture out and talk to other builders. Let alone quality discussions beyond the typical superficial chit-chat. I hate that I can't do that. I fucking hate it.

I made it a point to spend 30 minutes each day wandering around and looking at other booths. If that meant that for 30 minutes a day questions went unanswered in my own booth then so be it. A small price to pay. I am not selling chewing gum at the checkout aisle. This isn't an impulse buy and if they are serious then they will be back. But even then it was impossible to really talk. Perhaps this gets to Sach's point but I don't want to put words in the man's mouth. He is a grown up and can speak for his damn self. But perhaps my desire, nay need, to interact with my peers isn't all that important to other builders. Maybe other builders are perfectly content showing up with their friends and family and keeping the circle that tight. Every night I was looking to have dinner with other builders. Every night I walked through the hotel bar to see if anyone was having a drink. Would it be an opportunity for me to sit down and share 10 or 15 minutes of talk and a drink with a peer and then move on? I am not sure how many other builders did that. Last year by pure happenstance I found myself having breakfast with Drew Guldalian and Mike Zancanato. We all happened to be at the same place at the same time with our family having a quick bite. As silly as it sounds it was one of the more memorable events of the weekend because it was such a rare opportunity.

What is the answer? Don't know. The show has grown to the point where those peer-to-peer moments don't happen. Does it mean a Thursday night dinner/party for only builders (no entourage, no posse)? That is a good start but I'm not sure how many builders would care to show up.

I guess I just feel like I watched some good pitches go by and now I have to wait till Denver before I get back up to the plate.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What aboput something like one day of "Trade Only", where only builders attend? I realize you'd have to work out the details of that. Then...2 days of public attendance? Start the show Friday at noon with the builders-only day, then Sat/Sun for the hoi polloi. Just mud on the wall, based on about a gazillion professional/public trade shows and seminar I have attended, participated in, or sponsored over the course of my working life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    What aboput something like one day of "Trade Only", where only builders attend? I realize you'd have to work out the details of that. Then...2 days of public attendance? Start the show Friday at noon with the builders-only day, then Sat/Sun for the hoi polloi. Just mud on the wall, based on about a gazillion professional/public trade shows and seminar I have attended, participated in, or sponsored over the course of my working life
    I am in zero position to answer those questions. I mean, I am going to go ahead and answer them anyway but don't interpret that to mean I know what the hell I am talking about. I'm just a mouth breather. The issue with making one day "builder only" is that it drastically cuts the gate fees for Don and the gang. Doubtful he would be for that. Option 2 is to make the event four days and have the first day "builder only" but then you have the additional expenses for the exhibitors (hotels, meals, time from the shop, etc). I would like maybe to have a full half day limited to only those with an Exhibitor badge. Give us time to wander around and really see some stuff. Again, not sure how well something like that would be received but it seems like a step in the right direction. The second half of the first day market it as "VIP Only" and charge double so that you can walk around with fewer crowds and maybe do some business. Offer reimbursement of entry fee if you buy a bike.
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've stated this to a few friends already privately, but one of my biggest regrets in not being at NAHBS this year was that I didn't get to hang with you for the third year in a row. I hope we can catch up soon, man. Until then I've got a Shamrock bottle opener hanging above my work bench.

PS Still trying to sell my old boss on a Shamrock. He's an ND alum and the bike he needs is just the type you make. It's a perfect match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim, it was awesome hanging out with you and Rody. Quite possibly my favorite part of the show. I would also like to thank you for your words of support. See you next year.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Tim, it was awesome hanging out with you and Rody. Quite possibly my favorite part of the show. I would also like to thank you for your words of support. See you next year.
    i resemble that remark.

NAHBS is the longest/shortest 5 days of my calendar each year. (it'd be closer to 10 days if i were an exhibitor i'm sure). absolutely depend on the before/after show time with those who share the love of the fabrication of the machine. without that, i'd stay home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post
    Tim, you said it best!
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got 20 minutes to kill? Give a listed to the Outspoken Cyclist. They must have been very hard up for guests because I was on the show last night.

http://www.wjcu.org/files/audio/show...2013-03-16.mp3
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not have sex with that man Tim O'Donnell (not that I can remember atmo).
    My recollection is that it was because I didn't have anything larger than a twenty.

PS Great interview, Tim.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast