Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What tig welding machine

Alright all you tungsten contaminators!! Time to anti-up, as to what tig welding machine you use. Also, why did you buy it and what do you like\dislike about it. If there is some other machine you would like to have, include that too,(you know, that dream machine you want, but don't really need).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What tig welding machine

dynasty 200, although I would be just as happy with a good ol syncrowave. Every fab shop I've ever been in has one and they are pretty damn reliable. All that aside I have used a Lincoln precision tig 185 once and I thought it had wonderful low amperage control, better than any Miller machine I've ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynasty 200DX. There have been a few times when welding thick steel for tables that I wish it had more output, but I do so little work requiring that much heat that it's not a big deal. I wanted the AC capability should I decide to take up aluminum. You could save $$ by sticking with a DC machine. The price of the DX has gone up so much in the last six years that if I had to do it over again at current prices I might choose differently.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Syncrowave 250DX. If you've got the space. I can see the appeal of the smaller Dynasty's for confined working areas and transportability. Dynasty's work well too but cost a bit more.

Syncrowave's are great except for one thing: If you don't get one of the new ones WITH the pulser built in, you won't really be able to pulse very well just by adding the pulser. I've been trying to use an old PC-300 with one of the newer machines and I just don't get the response I'm after but then the old pulser may be dying...works better on the older, smaller syncrowave 250's. If you really need to weld anything heavy, just switch it to stick mode and burn up some 3/32" 7018. Even the little Dynasty's do some nice stick...multi pass 3/4" plate anyone?

You'll be kicking yourself if you buy a DC only machine.
    It's a lot of money to spend, might as well do it right the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ever tried pulsing with your foot? once you get used to it your machine pulser becomes irrelevant for almost everything

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    ever tried pulsing with your foot? once you get used to it your machine pulser becomes irrelevant for almost everything
    you cant be serious.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's serious, I do it sometimes. I've seen tons of other guys do it, too. As long as you don't need anything more than one or two a second, you're good. Any more than that and I flip on the pulse. It's also handy when you want a few pulses and then you go back to steady amperage.
    Fwiw, the pulse function is not actually there to control bead cosmetics. It's used to retard heat buildup when welding thin materials, due to a reduced heat input cycle.That keeps .020" aluminum sheet from turning into a Pringle. It's also useful because it improves gap bridging ability, modulation of the weld pool, and increases arc stability. Using it to make your weld look nice is just a crutch.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is true to a point.
    great for production welding and getting going fast.
    but it can get boring. the pulser challenges me to march in line and treat the material with a little more tlc.
    i like that. it's still important to temper the tlc with efficiency. and it's great for the thin stuff...which was already mentioned i'm sure.

it's good to have options.
    the little maxstar's do a great job! ...but you're limited to steel. not that that's a bad thing. (oops and ti too)

i've always wanted to mess with an aerowave. my understanding is that they're a bit more adjustable than the dynasty's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kpaynter View Post
    Syncrowave 250DX. If you've got the space. I can see the appeal of the smaller Dynasty's for confined working areas and transportability. Dynasty's work well too but cost a bit more.

Syncrowave's are great except for one thing: If you don't get one of the new ones WITH the pulser built in, you won't really be able to pulse very well just by adding the pulser. I've been trying to use an old PC-300 with one of the newer machines and I just don't get the response I'm after but then the old pulser may be dying...works better on the older, smaller syncrowave 250's. If you really need to weld anything heavy, just switch it to stick mode and burn up some 3/32" 7018. Even the little Dynasty's do some nice stick...multi pass 3/4" plate anyone?

You'll be kicking yourself if you buy a DC only machine.
    It's a lot of money to spend, might as well do it right the first time.
    I'm on the fence between the Syncrowave 250DX and the Dynasty 200DX at the moment. I was clicking around and realized that they end up costing about the same (new) but the Syncrowave gets me to thicker material and adds this new water cooler that only comes on when the torch comes on. I've read a lot about the inverter machines having expensive board issues (when they have them though it sounds rare) and that concerns me. The Syncrowaves seem to be hard to mess up.

One thing I don't like about the Dynasty that I've been borrowing for the past couple of years is that on the cart, cords come out both ends up the machine and the switches are on opposite ends (for the cooler and the welder) as well. It takes up a lot more space than it should because of that.

It's a tough conversation because I'm finding most of the folks that love the Dynasty series haven't owned a Syncrowave. I'm trying to look at this objectively.

So my question is, do you have anything else to add about what you like more about the Syncrowave over the Dynasty? I'd love as much detail as your willing to discuss.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    I'm on the fence between the Syncrowave 250DX and the Dynasty 200DX at the moment. I was clicking around and realized that they end up costing about the same (new) but the Syncrowave gets me to thicker material and adds this new water cooler that only comes on when the torch comes on. I've read a lot about the inverter machines having expensive board issues (when they have them though it sounds rare) and that concerns me. The Syncrowaves seem to be hard to mess up.

One thing I don't like about the Dynasty that I've been borrowing for the past couple of years is that on the cart, cords come out both ends up the machine and the switches are on opposite ends (for the cooler and the welder) as well. It takes up a lot more space than it should because of that.

It's a tough conversation because I'm finding most of the folks that love the Dynasty series haven't owned a Syncrowave. I'm trying to look at this objectively.

So my question is, do you have anything else to add about what you like more about the Syncrowave over the Dynasty? I'd love as much detail as your willing to discuss.

Thanks.
    Convert it to air cooled and ditch the water cooler. In either case.
    Last edited by Tyler Evans; 11-17-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm good like that.