Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jonathan Greene Cycles

So I posted my write up in the gallery instead of here, and I'd move it if I could. The best I can do it post a pointer:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post650474

The fast guys really flew this year and finished at around 22 hours. There was a good bit more single track than years past, but the weather couldn't have been better. Bike rode great and we've learned a lot about what I need/want for these types of events. Can't wait to get my new frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A musings update with a picture snap: I'm two years in welding frames rather than brazing with lugs. When I go back and read the early smoked out posts of mine it really reminds me how much I've evolved and what skills now reside in the tool chest. I really enjoy the welding. Putting on a welding helmet is a further step away from the rest of life than just retreating to the shop. When the helmet is down all you have is the 15 or so square inches of vision through the lens. Welding has also allowed me to deliver bikes I couldn't before either. I'm entirely able to realize my vision of how the frames should look and ride. I've never been more in control or more creative with the output. I'm doing things I couldn't do with lugs.

I've posted about my health so I'll give an update about that. I appreciate the well wishes. I'm doing better. Treatments are working, or at least doing what they should. I made it through the kids going back to school without getting pnuemoia. First time for that in a few years. I do live within limits. It's like I have an hour glass AND a fuel gauge and when either runs out I'm done for the day. Not every day starts with the same level of fuel or sand. Baxter is paying me to speak to a room full of their people this week. They want to know my story and the experiences I've had and how their product makes a difference in my life. I'm looking forward to that.

The planning of the below frame started before I got sick. Its in the current FNL299. It's one of the ones that without the patience of the owner I'd have been even more stressed about getting things done than I was. It's nice to get it out and I really love what came out of it. I've been dialing this combination of tubes and parts for some time. I won't throw out sticky superlatives, but it will do the job and meet expectations. Every road or cross bike I'm making gets a version of this, designed around each rider.
    Until next time...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer welding at night. I prefer the light, quiet and solitude. I've had people ask how I find the time. The answer is that I have to find that time anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dewd. That's tight work. Dig it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've posted a few repaints. I don't advertize that I do them but they seem to find me on a regular basis. I'll usually take the job if it's interesting. A local chap tracked me down to paint this DeRosa. These frames weren't the high water mark for this classic brand even in their own era, but the guy was proud of him frame regardless. He gave me the latitude to reimagine what the frame could have originally been. We fixed ugly. Finished photographs to follow in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this turned it swell. We certainly made it better. It's how Ugo shold have sent it out the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another smiling frame delivery. Thanks for letting me make this for you Will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame building has introduced me to some of my favorite people in the world, and the dudes they are married to ain't bad either. We have a new brew pub up the street, good times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even as I've moved away from lugged frames, or more accurately diversified. I still think it's important to keep forks in the wheelhouse. This fork will handle a 32c knobby with a campy 40-50mm reach brake. You can't buy that at a bike shop iirc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guy's watch Rugby Union over there Jonathon? Chiefs jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Frame building has introduced me to some of my favorite people in the world, and the dudes they are married to ain't bad either. We have a new brew pub up the street, good times.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    Do you guy's watch Rugby Union over there Jonathon? Chiefs jersey.
    That's my Kiwi Mate. The Chiefs are his home team. As far as I'm concerned, American Football should die a quick death and we should get on with Rugby. Rugby is even better that the futbol the rest of the world plays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figures, those Kiwis love their rugby. IMHO, Rugby league is so much better to watch, not as orchestrated around the ruck and a lot faster. Both sports are pretty brutal with some heavy contact, I still have the pain from playing as a youngster because I didn't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's my Kiwi Mate. The Chiefs are his home team. As far as I'm concerned, American Football should die a quick death and we should get on with Rugby. Rugby is even better that the futbol the rest of the world plays.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    Figures, those Kiwis love their rugby. IMHO, Rugby league is so much better to watch, not as orchestrated around the ruck and a lot faster. Both sports are pretty brutal with some heavy contact, I still have the pain from playing as a youngster because I didn't know any better.
    I think rugby is the perfect mix of speed, agility and the need for Americans to watch a sport that scores often enough. But hey, as long as we have the NFL and MLb we will always be world champs at something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more welding #nightmoves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some regramming. The Gravelcyclist was at our local Claymont 100 last weekend and did a photo shoot of our own Guy Fazzio's bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the linky to the featured bike...

Featured Bike: Jonathan Greene Cycles Gravel / CX Rig |
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting more is not so much a New Years resolution as a commitment, so hear it goes.... 1st 29er of the year.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112