Thread: Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jonathan Greene Cycles

jon-

you have anything in the works for the ballers ride? new cross bike? the baby blue one last year was beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D,
    I'll have a new bike for Ballers. I've spent a lot of time in the last 6 months thinking about what direction I want the creative process to go. I've got some fun stuff to share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More blogging; some history behind my logo art.

Jonathan Greene Cycles | Just another WordPress.com site

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the goals this year was to opine more with not so deep thoughts. No more green, find out why.

Not so deep thoughts and what’s going on…. | Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from your blog post
    "I shared my thought with CSB that I feel like using a certain lugset from abc builder and dropouts from xyz, that I was just building another version of what somebody else has staked out a corner doing. Paint by numbers? Working these thoughts out with my pal, who is more connected to the art world than anyone I know, informed me that inspiration in the art sense doesn’t just come from what’s brought from the outside into the inside but also the movement you participate in that surrounds you. Ok, I can feel that. In that sense I feel less of a copycat but as these next 12 months come and go I’ll be releasing more of what I think will be uniquely me."

Jonathan, I know you know there is a long history of builders using commercially produced parts for their frames, just don't forget it. While it's nice to be unique, I say hold your line, it's a good one. Sachs lugsets are the new Nervex. Keep using the good stuff. Don't give in to the doodads. The problem with art, and builders these days, is everyone has to be "unique." I sat with Roland Della Santa and the best advise he gave me was to pick a lug set and use it, make it yours. Who cares if it's a Walter, Sachs, Llewellen, or off the shelf Long Shen you've modified. It will all add up to the whole. Those who will think less of you for having "Richard Sachs" vs. "Campagnolo" stamped in your 1010 drop-outs are clueless. Anyone who thinks it's paint by numbers are the level you are at is whacko! I don't think it's the color that matters, it's the trim. Anyway, that's what I think.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    Jonathan, I know you know there is a long history of builders using commercially produced parts for their frames, just don't forget it.<cut>
    ^
    this atmo.

ever since i can remember, all framebuilders tapped the same keg for materials. bocama, fisher, cinelli, guinticiclo, prugnat, dubois, haden, earl de roi, everest, davis components, gargette, eisho, or ohtusuya, etcetera. the players are different but the rules of engagement are still the same. the lug is not the frame. the frame is the frame atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from your blog post
    Jonathan, I know you know there is a long history of builders using commercially produced parts for their frames, just don't forget it. While it's nice to be unique, I say hold your line, it's a good one. Sachs lugsets are the new Nervex. Keep using the good stuff. Don't give in to the doodads. The problem with art, and builders these days, is everyone has to be "unique." I sat with Roland Della Santa and the best advise he gave me was to pick a lug set and use it, make it yours. Who cares if it's a Walter, Sachs, Llewellen, or off the shelf Long Shen you've modified. It will all add up to the whole. Those who will think less of you for having "Richard Sachs" vs. "Campagnolo" stamped in your 1010 drop-outs are clueless. Anyone who thinks it's paint by numbers are the level you are at is whacko! I don't think it's the color that matters, it's the trim. Anyway, that's what I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    ^
    this atmo.

ever since i can remember, all framebuilders tapped the same keg for materials. bocama, fisher, cinelli, guinticiclo, prugnat, dubois, haden, earl de roi, everest, davis components, gargette, eisho, or ohtusuya, etcetera. the players are different but the rules of engagement are still the same. the lug is not the frame. the frame is the frame atmo.
    Craig, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them. I think the advice is good that you got from Roland and I believe that too. My feelings aren't so much to be original or artistic, but to be me. I want to build solid performance bicycles that reflect who I am. I'm excited you'll be at the Ballers weekend, I'd like to spend some time talking about this stuff with you. I have a healthy envy for your bakground and how you have come at framebuilding.

Richard,
    Back in the early 2000's when we first spoke on the phone and discussing the frame you'd ultimately build for me you mentioned you had a new lugset (richieissimo) in develpment that represented the shapes, shorelines and details you took a career to perfect. That is what my missive was about. I'm not going to make my own lugset, and in today's era of cast parts the need for modification doesn't exist but the desire to develop my own version of "shapes, shorelines a details" is there. Not to be original, not to be Richard Sachs, but to be me. I'm obviously on what you call the left side, I'm embracing the change that moves us all right.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Richard,
    Back in the early 2000's when we first spoke on the phone and discussing the frame you'd ultimately build for me you mentioned you had a new lugset (richieissimo) in develpment that represented the shapes, shorelines and details you took a career to perfect. That is what my missive was about. I'm not going to make my own lugset, and in today's era of cast parts the need for modification doesn't exist but the desire to develop my own version of "shapes, shorelines a details" is there. Not to be original, not to be Richard Sachs, but to be me. I'm obviously on what you call the left side, I'm embracing the change that moves us all right.
    without evening researching this, foresta frames and signal cycles are but two new entities that 1) use materials from the mainstream,
    and 2) have created a "theirs and theirs alone" look. no slight intended to anyone else not named. i am replying in real time atmo.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 01-24-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: line breaks -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    without evening researching this, foresta frames and signal cycles are but two new entities that 1) use materials from the mainstream,
    and 2) have created a "theirs and theirs alone" look. no slight intended to anyone else not named. i am replying in real time atmo.
    ^this is what I'm talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sequel to what above. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Not so deep thoughts: What really happened on Mulberry St. | Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always enjoy reading your blog posts, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little trickle of non news from the shop.

Time to Honest Up | Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hang in there buddy. Let some time go by and get better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hang in there buddy. Let some time go by and get better.
    Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Jon,

I hope you feel better soon. See you at Ballers V2, right?

Oh yea, Stu Thompson was a hero of mine too. Did some crazy things on a bike because of him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Jon,

I hope you feel better soon. See you at Ballers V2, right?

Oh yea, Stu Thompson was a hero of mine too. Did some crazy things on a bike because of him.
    That is the plan Wayne. I see a surgeon tomorrow and he'll ultimately have say over whether I will be at ballers, but for now it's a go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little more that I offer, put into words.

Putting Full Service Into Service | Jonathan Greene Cycles