Thread: Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jonathan Greene Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm starting a quarterly newsletter for clients, pals, gawkers or anyone else that doesn't fit those descrriptions. Shop udates, bulding notes and general framebuilding musings will be on the agenda. If you're interested drop me a line at greene.jon@gmail.com and I'll put you in a BCC field for Issue number 1. And as always, referrals are appreciated.
    PM sent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    PM sent!
    PM 2 sent!

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been back from Nahbs for over 3 days now and wanted to share my impressions and give out some virtual awards based on my thoughts and biases.

Austin is a great city and this was the best of the three nahbs I've been to. The hall was easy to navigate and spacious, though I think a bottle of coke or water is even cheaper at Disney. I could make a case to make Austin the stationary location for a few years, the city was that good. I for one enjoyed the non framebuilder vendors. Aren't those Dromarti shoes fabulous? It was good meeting the people from KVA, Reynolds, Columbus, and Wade Barcosi from Cycle Design.

Here goes the awards....

Vsalonistas everyone should most want to meet goes to Alexis. She's awesome and with a great smile.

Best Aluminum bike goes to Gaulzetti. Was there ever any real competition?

Best ti bike goes to either of the two ti bikes in Hamsten's booth.

Best mountain bike was the Ellis bike with the shamrock and retrotec newsboy very close behind. I loved the mtb's this year.

Best Cross bike goes to Zank. He hits all of the little details that a handmade bike should.

Best Booth help goes to mrs Zank and mrs Strong. They are both great to talk to if you can peel the other guys away from them. Both of those dudes are lucky men.

Best lugged bike goes to Richard Sachs for his pista. The amount of work that went into those and the level of that work has only peers.

Bike I'd like most to steal was the red fendered Hampsten. Simple but perfect.

Best guitar goes to David Lee and the awsome Grestch he was rocking. That show at lamce's place was awesome.

Best useless bike feature that I loved anyway was the DellaSanta Swiss cheese chain stays. You can have your opinions, but when a guy who's bike has won a worlds pro road title says they make great shadows in the morning sun, well that's good enough for me.

The best booth goes to Don Ferris at anvil because he generally kicks ass and is making me a slick chainstay denting tool.

And last but not least, the final award for best in show goes to Dave Anderson for his stainless bikes. So clean, so nice, so perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn, JG -- worth the trip with ya --- forgot .... best back home bike --- JG green..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has hit the main board but I'm pretty excited to be involved in a "meet the makers" weekend sponsored by vsalon.

For details go here: Ballers Ride Index Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a few weeks since the last update and there's been a lot of stuff going on. On March 24, my investment business began operating as Jonathan Greene Wealth Management. I'm free of corporate strings and serving conflicted master. It also means 12 hours days for awhile which will coincide nicely with my normal summer slowdown of framebuilding. I'll be enjoying my limited shop time more than ever.

In my original smoked out post I mention a pal who handed me a book review in the journal about some professional guys who gave up the Corp world to be farmers, artists etc. I'm currently building a frame for that pal. There is more than a little satisfaction and gratitude in the transaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan did you ever get this bad boy built up? Impressions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when are we gona see another hand crafted JGG....

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timto View Post
    Jonathan did you ever get this bad boy built up? Impressions?

I did and I liked it.

The idea was to build a frame that was aesthetically pleasing and stiffer than what I usually ride. I do believe that in small frame a sloping top tube makes for a more balanced look. The tubes are a combination of Columbus and Deda and a max fork. Its stiff and reasonably light. I'll be building a cross bike with the oos tubes and Sax Max lugs to compliment it soon.

Thanks for asking and if there are any other questions please ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    when are we gona see another hand crafted JGG....

ronnie
    Ronnie, I've been rolling out one per month on avg this year but have not been posting. My April and May deliveries will happen in May due to my recent career direction change.

I've also decided that I'd change directions in how I market my frame biz. I decided about 2 months ago that instead of marketing myself to build up a body of work, I'd resign from being so public and work on actually building up a body of work to market. I'm feeling a stronger connection than ever to making the kinds of bikes that turn me on and hopefully down the road I'll be recognized for my craft, attention to detail, and style. If that doesn't happen I'll still be in the shop toiling away nights and weekends. And with that I'm headed out to work now.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jon atmo - i have been wondering about this a lot, especially lately...

with a full plate at the day job as well as having clients in the queue, how do you budget your time and/or transition from the work day to the, er - work day for filling orders? what does the routine look like for someone who makes frames at nights and on weekends? this must make free time very expensive. can you map out the routine so we have a better picture? others here also have careers that come before their frame making; i'll post to them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie,
    For sure I have to budget my time. I've eliminated many time gremlins but it's a struggle. My boys are 8,9,and 12 so we have sports practice and games, music lessons, sleepovers and birthday parties. How I make it work is several sided. The first is how I view the process. I've broken down the construction and paint process to one hour time blocks. The only step that takes longer is the main triangle fixturing, pinning, tacking alignment and brazing steps which take me bout 3 hours total. I can plan one or two of those one hour blocks per day and if I utilize a whole Saturday it doesnt take long to build a frame. I also have dialed back my marketing. I want just a few clients waiting and that keeps the hassle down and I don't take deposits. I think going forward the place ill be making time will be in getting better. Ive come a long way but some things take longer than i think they should. Lastly, it's therapuetic and I get many of my best ideas for my day career when I'm alone in the shop. I used to think I'd like to have another person in the shop but I'm starting to want to be alone while I'm out there. The solitude is nice.

There is one downside I'm struggling with. My riding has become a casualty. I've got to find and hour or so per day to go ride.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 05-23-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

come ride with this pal/bud..
    you musta had a hell of a "theraupuetic," when ya hand crafted the jgg pista from atmo tubes/lugs ... for ole ronnie.

luv'n every ride hour..,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    come ride with this pal/bud..
    you musta had a hell of a "theraupuetic," when ya hand crafted the jgg pista from atmo tubes/lugs ... for ole ronnie.

luv'n every ride hour..,

ronnie
    Ron, I took a lot of pride in making that frame. I actually built the front triangle twice because the original 4 tubes really wanted to be wall art rather than a frame. Im glad you're riding it all over god's creation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and a new blog post to go with it:

UCI Approved! | Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rawesome atmo.
    signed,
    a full time pal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely put,thanks!
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

knew there was something bout you that made me smile, first time our paths crossed ....

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been awol for far too long. I'm starting a photo essay on facebook of my very own commuter for transportation to the day career. I'll be building it as I build for others. Pictures will be of the steps I think mean something. Please follow along and like me on facebook if you have not already. Ask questions if you have any.

Jonathan Greene Cycles | Facebook

I'll post a few of these in the fnl section going forward.