Thread: Jonathan Greene Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jonathan Greene Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by luigi View Post
    Jonathan, you built a bike for you Dad. How did you determine the size and geometry for that bike? As I recall, it was a surprise. Lou
    Ha ha ha , I snuck in his garage and measured the contact points on the old one. I'm pretty confident in my beliefs on how my bikes should ride so I just transferred his contact points to what I do. Who said " your fit, my bike" or something like that? Was it Dave Tesch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since updates are the order of the day here's mine. I've mostly taken the summer off due to the FL heat in my non AC shop and the kids are out of school which is a fun time of year for me too. Look for my 2010 cross frame at Deerfield and a Track frame in a few weeks. Summer will be breaking soon and I expect to have the assembly line rolling along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"will be a watchin the sky"

4th encounter,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    "will be a watchin the sky"

4th encounter,

ronnie
    two worlds collide
    Last edited by Jonathan; 08-14-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luigi View Post
    Jonathan, you built a bike for you Dad. How did you determine the size and geometry for that bike? As I recall, it was a surprise. Lou
    Lou....He tricked me. He also completely surprised me with that frame & fork on Fathers Day. I maybe shouldn't have been too surprised because he did sell a Waterford restored Paramount frame for me, and somehow I never got that money. Now I know where that money went. I had no idea it would be in ice blue either with custom painted lugs . It's gorgeous I think. I'm one of those who likes to look at a bike about as much as ride it. But I'm riding this one about every day, just sweating away on it. I imagine I can find someone to repaint it when necessary.

I don't know the "finer" points about building a frame, I just know this frame sure rides nice. Is extremely stable. And all my Campy 10 speed parts went on without any fuss. One nice thing I really like, and I know other frame builders do the same, is the adjustable derailleur stop bosses welded low on the head tube. I like to route my derailleur cables around the head tube, then cross them back under the down tube. Maybe they already were on the head tube, but Jonathan knew I would like that. I'm proud of my son's work. Actually....I'm ready to move with him to a cooler climate if he needs a helper. I would probably work cheap. LOL

Jonathan's Dad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    ...Actually....I'm ready to move with him to a cooler climate if he needs a helper. I would probably work cheap. LOL

Jonathan's Dad
    So get to work convincing your daughter-in-law and get ready to Make them in Massachusetts!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass might be a little cooler than I had in mind. But it's not my decision to make.

Jonathan's Dad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massachusetts is way cool. Ask Sachs, Zanconato, Maietta, Independent Fabrication, Seven, Alternative Needs Transportation, Spooky, Geekhouse...
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    I maybe shouldn't have been too surprised because he did sell a Waterford restored Paramount frame for me, and somehow I never got that money....

....I'm proud of my son's work.

Jonathan's Dad
    Some things about fathers & sons will never change! Having my father tell me he was proud of me were always my proudest moments. Funny how that works.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the string of posts guys. Mass is a beautiful state. I do love New England, it's people, food, summer/fall weather etc...I'd like to see what I'd do in the winter though. Cross country ski, snow shoe or just get fat bowling?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 08-31-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: you know what's on my mind

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks for the string of posts guys. Mass is a beautiful state. I do love New England, it's people, food, summer/fall weather etc...I'd like to see what I do in the winter though. Cross ****ry ski, snow shoe or just get fat bowling?
    hey spellcheck boy - drop and give me 50 atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a comment many posts up that I'd never seen another professional framebuilder build a frame or part of a frame. Apparently that's pretty common among one man shops. Preceding that comment Mike Zanconato had invited me up to Mass to spend shop time with him the week before d2r2. This is my quick report and observations about what i gleaned from 3 days with someone who is first a pal, and then the consumate professional. If I were not brazing these up myself Mike would be at the top of my very short list of bikes I'd want to own.

When you walk into mike's shop the first think I noticed was the light. You can see so well compared to my dimly lit space. Mike is also organized, he's got the space to place everything into stations and have the appropriate tools at that station. It's pro. Next thing you notice is the tools, fixtures and machines. Mikes shop is a reflection I think of how his frames turn out. Clean, organized, well thought out, no waste, perfect. I've got a lot of work to do to bring my shop up to my new standards. It really sticks out that a client can visit Mike with wife and family in tow and everyone leaves impressed.

I really enjoyed the time we spent building a frame. Mike is confident enough in what he does that I could ask questions without offending him. When you learn framebuilding like I did in a class you learn really just how to build the frame infront of you and a process that allows you to start down this road when you get home. Mike's way of doing things were different enough from the way I do them there were many questions and similar enough I knew how i could incorporate some of his methods or even stick to my way because of my tooling or process where it made sense. I was also able to walk away with many ideas for tools to make the small tasks easier.

Maybe the next big lesson of the week was time management. We talked a lot about how there are so many gremlins that can eat time. Balancing the marketing, client communication, designing,fittings, and what pays the bills, BUILDING, is no easy task. There is always the pal who needs a wrench mid ride who drops by, the building custodian who wants to chat or the part time framebuilder who hangs out for three days. We are time wasters, we don't bring in orders or make money. As a part timer I do this stuff late at night or in the morning. I expect to give up personal time to do it.To be pro at framebuilding it takes as much dedication to running the business smart as any other busness, maybe more as the margins aren't huge. To do it and have after work hours is no easy task.

Lastly Mike showed me I need continue to up my game and how I need to do it. Zank does not rest with what he did on the last frame and is always working on doing it better. He's driven. It was nice that a pal was willing to share his way of running his business.

If anyone has any questions about how my experience might change how I do things I'd be happy to respond. There are also a few flickr pics located here: zank trip - a set on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great report, J. You could do a lot worse than to model your framebuilding on Zanconato. I had the opportunity to study your new bike up close and it compares really well with what Mike is turning out. You're well on your way, and I'm impressed with your energy and commitment to improving your chops.

p.s. That photo of you and Zank by the lake - Spectacular!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks David, i should mention that you were the photographer. Smoked out is a place for me to sell myself, but I have no problems saying I admire Mike and appreciate that he'd share his knowledge freely. Anyone who is on his order list is going to get a great bike, as you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks for the string of posts guys. Mass is a beautiful state. I do love New England, it's people, food, summer/fall weather etc...I'd like to see what I'd do in the winter though. Cross country ski, snow shoe or just get fat bowling?
    in the wind and brrrrrr of northern mass --- ida be a pettin my buddy ...

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a blog now. It's still being worked out but check it out anyway.

Jonathan Greene Cycles | Just another WordPress.com site

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jon, just came back from winter haven, up coming bike race, board meeting --- money for the mutts & cats....
    your bike and frame on display at our 2 week back auction --- question came up tonight:

your building time and window.
    paint options.
    "can i enjoy a cx bike as my everyday roadie" ronnie sure does

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the question Ronnie,

a cross bike makes a great all rounder if your gonna use fattish tires most of the time. If 23-25c tires will be used there are better options.

I don't really have an options list that describes a price point structure. I am proud to say I build one bike, the best one I know how. If a client wants a paint scheme I'm comfortable with but not able to supply myself I'll use another painter as an option. That's about it.

As far as timeline for delivery goes you could have a bike in March-April or so if you ordered now. Since I constrict my own production because I'm part time I can give a firm delivery time. Upon receipt of deposit you're in line for a certain month's construction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the question Ronnie,

a cross bike makes a great all rounder if your gonna use fattish tires most of the time. If 23-25c tires will be used there are better options.

I don't really have an options list that describes a price point structure. I am proud to say I build one bike, the best one I know how. If a client wants a paint scheme I'm comfortable with but not able to supply myself I'll use another painter as an option. That's about it.

As far as timeline for delivery goes you could have a bike in March-April or so if you ordered now. Since I constrict my own production because I'm part time I can give a firm delivery time. Upon receipt of deposit you're in line for a certain month's construction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jon-

do you think you'll expand and learn other materials in the future?

if not - why?

thnx