User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nash Cycles - Baltimore Bicycle Works

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nash Cycles - Baltimore Bicycle Works

yo tommy atmo i am late to your thread and assume this wasn't covered -

how far back in time do you travel when looking for muses? at your young age you obviously missed the eras
    when framebuilding, as a niche, was at the top of the industry food chain. that all changed by the mid 80s
    atmo. so, when you look around, or even look at your own work, both real as well as what's dreamed about,
    which marques resonate? and what details? do you channel anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy,

What's been the hardest thing for you to wrap your head around? Customers, tubing choices, what tools to get, what tools to not worry about, brass or silver? Boxers or briefs?

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    yo tommy atmo i am late to your thread and assume this wasn't covered -

how far back in time do you travel when looking for muses? at your young age you obviously missed the eras
    when framebuilding, as a niche, was at the top of the industry food chain. that all changed by the mid 80s
    atmo. so, when you look around, or even look at your own work, both real as well as what's dreamed about,
    which marques resonate? and what details? do you channel anyone?
    This might get long...

It's kinda interesting because my knowledge of this particular history (framebuilding) is incomplete at best, which allows me to look at certain aspects with fresh eyes. I remember carving up a set of lugs and realizing after it came back from paint that they quite strikingly resembled a Prugnat set. I was certainly trying to emulate a "classic style" but unknowingly quoted a classic standard. There's a bike collector down here named Sam Fitzsimmons who has quite the stable of classic track bikes and I love pouring over the details of the Frejus', the old Paramounts, and all of the other gems he will have at any given time... I think it was a Singer last time.

I'm inspired by builders like J.P. Weigle who have such a mastery of their own language that it's a joy to look at the raw and polished and see the same confidence and attention to detail in both. I'm also inspired by places like Indy Fab, Moots, and Brew in terms of productivity and the fact that we can bring production back to America if we can get the public behind it.

At first I was drawn in by fancy lugs and crazy asymmetrical designs; form over function. Now I'm more interested in builds where the painstakingly well thought out details blend so seamlessly that it could almost go overlooked... but doesn't.
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Natty Boh and Lonestar Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so rawesome right now atmo -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Nash View Post

At first I was drawn in by fancy lugs and crazy asymmetrical designs; form over function. Now I'm more interested in builds where the painstakingly well thought out details blend so seamlessly that it could almost go overlooked... but doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post
    Tommy,

What's been the hardest thing for you to wrap your head around? Customers, tubing choices, what tools to get, what tools to not worry about, brass or silver? Boxers or briefs?

Conor
    On the business side of things it's customers, and not really the customers themselves, but how to handle things like wait times, when to steer them away from something, when to flat out say no, and just how to communicate more effectively.

On the building side of things it's constantly doing something new. On one hand it's exciting to try new lugs and different techniques etc. but it definitely adds to the total time it takes to finish a project or at the least requires some pre-build R&D. I think I understand why so many pros have a product they use in almost every build or at least a small amount of options. Or why you see many builders choose a construction method and stick to it. The way I see it this creates a more consistent end result and a more predictable process.

Cheers,
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the business side of things it's customers, and not really the customers themselves, but how to handle things like wait times, when to steer them away from something, when to flat out say no, and just how to communicate more effectively.

On the building side of things it's constantly doing something new. On one hand it's exciting to try new lugs and different techniques etc. but it definitely adds to the total time it takes to finish a project or at the least requires some pre-build R&D. I think I understand why so many pros have a product they use in almost every build or at least a small amount of options. Or why you see many builders choose a construction method and stick to it. The way I see it this creates a more consistent end result and a more predictable process.

Cheers,
    I know exactly where you're coming from on that!

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yo tommy atmo -

it's been a while since we heard from you.
    so, what are you working on, and more importantly, how has being Smoked Out changed your life?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    yo tommy atmo -

it's been a while since we heard from you.
    so, what are you working on, and more importantly, how has being Smoked Out changed your life?
    Whew, who knew summer would be a busy time for a bike shop?!

I've been busy putting together material for Artscape here in Bmore (July 16 - 18) where we will be displaying work by local bicycle builders, being myself, Tom Palermo, Chris Bishop, and John Hollands. It was a big hit last year, lots of fun, and this year will be even better. Anyone in the area should swing by!

We're also in the midst of expansion. Recently we started renting the garage space connected to our retail floor, and are in the process of turning it into a fit studio / higher end product showcase on one side and the frame shop on the other. The idea being you can come in, get fitted for a bike and see frames being produced all in the same space. There will be a nice juxtaposition between a clean fully built out finished space, and the gritty industrial feel of a machine shop. See my FNL post for the beginnings...

Then there's designing my Ti Commuter/Light Tourer for December, and planning out the production line...I can elaborate if folks are interested...

And at the top of this Totem Pole it's helping our customers and their bikes and building the frames in queue.

For me the Smoked Out section of VS is a great way to "meet" my peers and hopefully share my thoughts and experiences in a way that doesn't seem overly self indulgent. I wanted from the beginning to stay away from straight up marketing on this forum including Smoked Out because I want the dialogue to be as relaxed and real as possible. It's a place for me to say, "Starting and owning a small business is the hardest and most rewarding experience of my life." and hopefully it helps somebody out there reading. I know reading through everyone's threads has given me insight into the diverse world of our industry which is truly inspiring, and I plan on updating my thread as things progress in our shop. So stay tuned!

Cheers,
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there's designing my Ti Commuter/Light Tourer for December, and planning out the production line...I can elaborate if folks are interested...
    By all means, please do. I'll be looking for just such a beastie in 2012 or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    By all means, please do. I'll be looking for just such a beastie in 2012 or so.
    Hi Bruce,

On production: In an effort to provide a range of made-in-house frame sets we have decided to develop products that have much less customizable options and features. Some will have stock sizes/colors/build kits/etc., some will have custom geo but limited other options, and of course we'll still have the full custom Nash brand. Our goal is to have models in every riding discipline and style but that's very much big picture.

On the Ti Commuter/Tourer: My fellow worker Laura and I will be making prototypes for this style of bike at UBI this December. Whether or not they will initially be offered in Ti is going to depend a lot on the tool budget after we get back but stainless steel might be a good compromise in the mean time. We'll be blogging on our site and I'll be updating this thread as things unfold, so stay tuned... feel free to email me with any more specific questions. nashcycles(at)gmail.com

Cheers,
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy,

Congrats!

Goods and Services - Best Of Baltimore - Baltimore City Paper

Best Bike Shop
    Baltimore Bicycle Works
    1813 Falls Road, (410) 605-0705, baltimorebicycleworks.com
    Yes, Baltimore Bicycle Works again. And it’s not that new shops haven’t opened and they aren’t great: Hampden’s Twenty20 and Joe’s new Fells Point location are both excellent, welcome, and needed. Still, there’s something special about BBW (har), and it has to do with how the shop, now over a year old and currently expanding, seems like a perfectly organic, natural outgrowth of Baltimore’s tough-as-nails bike community. In other words, it’s a handful of local cyclists/mechanics that saw an opening and need, formed a collective, and opened a shop. That aside, BBW’s still perfectly located and reasonably priced, and maintains as a solid place to get both a fancy new carbon fiber something-or-other and a bargain used kick-around city bike.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom I came here to post this! Thanks brother, it's definitely encouraging. It was especially nice to win both the "Reader's Choice" and the "Editor's Choice" really warms the heart.

More updates to follow I promise...
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I saw Laura and Lindsey at the BOB party. Laura told me about the Reader's Choice part. Very cool. You guys deserve it. You've put in a lot of hard work.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Baltimore Bicycle Works is in the title, I'd like to share a cool project that just came through the shop. A customer brought in a Hollands road bike that had been somewhat neglected and was in need of a repaint. We suggested Circle A Cycles and acted as the go between, striping the bike down to frame, holding on to the parts, shipping the frame, and building it up once the paint was done.

After stripping the paint off the workers at CAC found major corrosion issues in the top tube, which they expertly replaced. The paint scheme was derived from a number of Kirk frames, but the red and white accents really match the Hollands decals. Interesting factoid: John told me once that the red white image is the naval flag code for "H".

The frame shows up and the eyes go wide. This frame looks killer. The masking lines are crispy and the lug lining is top notch. The customer then starts looking at the box of original parts and then back at the frame gleaming in the mid day sunlight. "That would look really good with the new Athena group," a little voice mutters and the order is made. QBP shows up and have the pleasure of building up this elegant frame set with this elegant group. Good day to work at a bike shop. Enjoy Steve!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (108.9 KB, 151 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (147.1 KB, 145 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (112.8 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (56.2 KB, 2 views)
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy!

I just wanted to check in and say hello after the PA Bike Expo. It was cool chilling. We'll have to assemble with Chris and Brian next year and tour the town!

Best,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes abound at Baltimore Bicycle Work! We have recently expanded our retail space and moved the frame shop downstairs. Although I'm losing those great big windows the move is allowing us to build two more repair stations, which we desperately need, and to separate the frame work so the two aspects of the business have their own flow.

We also are providing the bicycles for the 4K for Cancer benefit ride this year, which means ordering, storing, and assembling at last count 73 bicycles that will be ridden across the country. Check out the shop's blog for more info...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy! No NAHBS! You were missed buddy. If I don't get arrested driving through Jersey, I'll see you in October!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah wasn't in the cards for us this year. Just let me know when you're coming through brother!
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice thread. I live outside of Baltimore and nice to see the love.

Cheers,

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12