Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Foresta Frames

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Foresta Frames

I got the UOS bike built up and out for a ride today. I had a great time and rode 65 miles. I know this is where I'm supposed to give an analytical account of how it all was, but I'm a bit short on what to say. I had a great ride, I liked the bike, it was totally awesome! The bike met all my expectations, and surprised me a little. The roads I chose are typical of this area; for the most part really nice. On a smooth road the feel was good and it solid. Out of the saddle for rollers are it's strong point. I got the chance to ride a couple of short hills, yes we have a few of those around here if you seek them out. Out of the saddle it was super stable and just went forward. Coming down a steep and rough hill I felt a greater degree of stability than I get from my OS bikes. Rough roads are where this bike excels. That is if you're tough enough. It is best going fast over bad roads. Take those same roads slow and it beats you to death. This bike wants to go fast. The fork is on the beefy side, but even with my bad hands I had no issues.

Visually the UOS tubes look right with modern components. While building this frame I was often thinking about how big it all was, but out on the road it just looks right. I've said some pretty nice things about this frame, but remember it's a bike. As such, one needs to remember this is a bike that is put together right, fits me, and is straight. Those three things overshadow any considerations of tubing choice. But if you like steel, and you like lugs, this one is hard to beat. Another consideration is I was rolling on Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheels with FMB 25's at 90lbs. The build is Chorus all the way around except for a Record crankset. Aluminum bars, stem, post, cages, and 105 pedals finish it off. You'll see in the photos I double wrap my bars, it's that hand thing again. It's hard to find fault with a ride dressed like this one! I'm not one to be into weight issues with bicycles, but I went ahead and weighed this one. With pedals and cages it came out to 19.8lbs. This was on my bathroom scale, so you be the judge if that's reliable. It's probable this one gives up a good solid pound+ to a likely built OS bike. Not sure I care about that, it rode great. I'm sure you'll see lots of UOS frames built up with carbon forks, but not from this builder. The bottom line is this will now be my main ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got an early Father's Day gift from David...
    I'm not sure what to think!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cute ;)

Hey, the UOS bike....let's talk more about that CRAIG. The materials that permit this are just starting to arrive as complete bikes so you are on the leading edge...no surprise there.

NO question this is what I want for my next steel bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

The bike is simply BEutiful. I know you can't really be considered new to this gig anymore, but I'll say it anyway. DON'T CHange a thing.

Ben (your brother thru Ballers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, that UOS bike... UOS tubes have been out there for some time now, but until now there hasn't been a fork option as nice as the one Richard offers with the SAXMAX lugs. The blades are themselves oversize, but don't carry any extra weight. the crown is great to work with and looks correct with the lugs. Right now, from what I've experienced, I'd say I LOVE this thing! I've had a few more chances to get out on it, and will again tomorrow. I originally thought it might be an ace in the hole for tall or heavy riders, but now I'm not so sure. I think it'll be great for about anyone, and a small powerful rider will love it. I weigh 165, and love the ride. There's nothing harsh or dead or goofy about this thing. OS is great, but UOS is better. It's pretty much the only bike I'll be on from here on out. I recommend UOS and SaxMax.

- I like the way the bike sits, and looks, and handles, with modern components and wheels.
    - I like being able to run an 1 1/8 steerer.
    - I like being able to offer UOS and not have to rely on a carbon fork.
    - I like the quality of the Columbus UOS tubes, and the butt profiles.
    - I like the designed to match Columbus fork blades, and the Sachs crown to go with them.
    - I like that there are seat posts to fit starting to appear on the market.
    - I like how the SaxMax lugs integrate with UOS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a bit of an update on what's been happening back home in Indiana. I've been off the bike and am recovering from double hernia surgery. It's better than I expected, so i hope to be back to normal in a few weeks. After attending Ballers v2 (at which I was riding with my hernias), I came home with a lot of great feedback from friends who know their shit. And since that time I've put into action some ideas which developed as a result. Most of it was little stuff, like my commitment to refine my offerings and control the process start to finish. Other ideas led to larger changes which took more work. On the building side, I now work only with Sachs lug sets, drop-outs, and Columbus tubes. Columbus Spirit For Lugs, UOS, and Zona tubesets offer all the customization needs I generally desire, and unless something really wanky pops up one needs to look no further. The Sachs lug line is a no brainer; they take modification to fit my vision well. The new Sachs drop-outs take skill to make right, but I like them.

The largest change I've made is visual. It all started with an offhand comment by Josh, but it was to a receptive ear. Josh's suggestion led to the development of a new logo, and after countless revisions with feedback I've settled on something I like. As I said above I like to control the entire process, so the new logo is 100% by me. It will help me carry out the changes I've been thinking about for some time now. I've wanted to downplay my identity on the frame, making it more subtle and with any color choice I might like. I wanted a bicycle with no decals at all, entirely paint. Markings on my frames will now be very limited. HT logo, DT logo, 359 accent logos on TT and DT, ST panel.

This is what my new logo looks like. I wanted a script which flowed, but was not fancydancy. I wanted it to have a little bit of an edge, but I didn't want it to start looking like a tribal tattoo. I used Illustrator.

I've applied it to two of my frames now. For the red one I wanted it to be very subtle, it's very close to the main frame color but with a ton of pearl. It will look snappy out in the sun. Doesn't photograph well though. The photo below is just basecoat.

The white frame I shot after the first clear, so it has more to go on it. I like this frame as it is, but hopefully it will go to NY for Chris Theibert of Choonimals to go wild on. I'll sand the clear, send it to him, then shoot the final clear upon it's return. This is a pearl white, and since the Choonimal art will be bright and wild I wanted my logo to stand up a bit more. The blue/green also has a ton of pearl in it.

Another change I've made is in my headtube badge. I now paint a "359" vertically in a redesigned font.

The main goal with all these changes was to make the "decal" or logo color match all the other trim. And I can use that same logo color all over the frame, even for the little bits if I choose.

I've settled on bridge reinforcers done as below.

I hope folks appreciate the look I am working toward. It won't stand out in a crowd, but the paint projects well with the metal work I use.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig, I've said before how much I like your work and the whole idea of less is more I can really feel. I'm likeing how your now painting your decor on the downtube though still not feeling your new typeface or head tube but hay your the guvnor so as long as your happy thats the main thing. Hope you get quickly on the mend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig-

I've followed your posts on the salon with great interest from the beginning. Love where you stand. Love your work even more and have always dug your aesthetic. You are on my very short list of where I'd send my money. The new typeface is certainly nice, but for whatever it may be worth to you, I really hope you continue to offer the old style too.

And WTF does Josh know? ;)
    "In the old days when people invented a new function they had something useful in mind."

~Henri Poincare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith, thank you!
    The old style won't go away for anyone who requests it, but I'm not pushing it. At least until the decals run out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes change is fast, sometimes change is slow. It's been several months since I started working toward a change in my logo and paint. I've still got far to go, but my visualization is working out as I'd planned. A lugged frame is inherently a noisy piece of art, and I've felt it was all just a bit too much. By taking the graphics down a notch, the lugs can speak as they'd like. No more decals, and each one will have it's unique colors. These are the first two to come out except for one which is out in the San Diego area, and another for my son which is a special project of it's own. I hope you enjoy the change. I'm not sure when I'll see one of these built up, but I think they'll look nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

A question arises when I read your story; I know you have a decent day job, but a business is a business. Do you make money, or is it still break even to pay for your "hobby"*?

*Note that I don't mean "hobby" as snarky, but I have some trouble wording this as English isn't my first language.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loknor View Post
    Craig,

A question arises when I read your story; I know you have a decent day job, but a business is a business. Do you make money, or is it still break even to pay for your "hobby"*?

*Note that I don't mean "hobby" as snarky, but I have some trouble wording this as English isn't my first language.

Loknor, this is a fair question. I make no bones about having a first career and day job, it's what pays the bills and brings a stable household around here. I'm proud of the career I've built in education, and it takes precedence over all decisions. If I can stay busy and have building pay it's way, it might be all I can hope for. At this point I have a system in place, and can roll along for very little. If I built for the money I'd have quit long ago. I build because I want to. Respect any builder who is trying to make it by building with no other income, it's a tough row to hoe.
    Thanks! Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Craig, It's certainly fantastic that you can be a builder and not loose any on this quite expensive hobby!

I wish we had more people like you on this side of the pond, as handbuilt cycles are a dying breed over here. I can think of three builders here in the Netherlands, which is a dearth for such a cycling centric country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been doing some painting of a different sort recently. Still working on it, 6' x 10'.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is beyond awesome atmo. I am glad to say our paths crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    I've been doing some painting of a different sort recently. Still working on it, 6' x 10'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

Always take note of what you are doing and fun to watch the maturation. Rarely comment but saved up a few:

1) The orange bike is awesome.

2) I've not warmed to the little panel on the seat tube but for some reason the head tube "359" using the same technique is very appealing.

3) The humongous painting is super. Turn that into a poster size print!!!!

4) In a thread somewhere on VSalon there was talk of vintage frames. To hang NOS parts on with DT shifters. That sort of thing. You mentioned something to the effect of, and I paraphrase: "I'd build a new frame with new materials with the right dimensions"? Wondered if you were thinking of doing that as a project or if it was just random interweb discussion?

Very best,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah this is good photography and have all the little thing in this thread i like this because the all the parts of cycle is shown in thjis thread by the photogrpahers and also the hand made painting at the end of this thread is very good which i like very much..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig - I really like your bikes. They are simple and very appealing to to the eye. Best of luck.