0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Foresta Frames

From a friend of Foresta in Vermont.
    I sure love friends who know beer!

"Greetings, Craig.
    I took my maiden ride of the year.
    I used to ride year-round, whether outside or on a trainer, and decided that I like to switch things up completely and enjoy the winter opportunities when the days are short and cold; then haul the skis to the basement and pull out the two-wheeled machines for the warmer months.
    Anyhow, with our winter break this week and some mild weather, I couldn't resist any longer.
    With two "nice" bikes to choose from, I didn't hesitate much at all in pulling out my Foresta. And the ride was absolutely perfect.
    Frankly, I have no idea what factor or combination of factors make it ride so nicely for me, but I sure do enjoy it. I picked up a NOS Kestrel 1" carbon fork that I might play with. And I also picked up a different stem/handlebar combo to try this season along with the HandleBra. I was going to throw those things on this week but ended up getting into a few other to-dos with the time off.

Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks again. I'm enjoying your frame immensely. Having ridden Serottas, a custom Salsa from their Petaluma days, a beautiful Carl Strong, some carbon bikes, and now yours; I'm loving what you've done.

On a side-note, do you enjoy a nice microbrew? I've been putting together a VT sampler gift box for you and my brother was RAVING about a VT-only beer that he had the other day up in ski-country. Made me wonder if I should grab a few interesting local beers to send to you, too.

best,
    Mike"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    Today we took Julie to the airport. She'll spend the next 30 some hours in airports and the air making her way back to Namibia. As a Peace Corps Volunteer straight out of college she has spent the last 28 months teaching English to kids in the middle of nowhere. Living in a village of mud huts and elephants has taught her much about life; but she went in with a lot. Now, she was home for a few weeks before re-enlisting in a new position. This time she'll be helping other PCV's as a resource over a whole region of Northeastern Namibia. Being the age I am, and knowing the history since JFK set it in place, I can think of nothing else more noble for a recent college grad to pursue. She'll arrive back home again in about a year without grad school, or a plan; but she'll be prepared for life in a good way.

+1--Congratulations on her success and re-enlistment, only a small number of volunteers extend, only a few proven leaders get accepted.
    The best 3 years of my life were spent digging wells and erosion control structures in Peace Corps (Mali 90-93). 3rd year volunteers are super valuable as leaders and the steep part of the learning curve for language and culture is finally behind- you can finally dig in and get some projects humming and have some real insight into the local community and by extension, the world. Have her keep her eyes open for the street side bike repair guys- somewhere I have a few awesome photos of some local guys doing brilliant frame repair using charcoal braziers, scrap brass and termite powder (boric acid) for flux.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,
    I love what you did with red 359 in the FNL sets. You're really reaching out with fun ideas. Has you desire to paint or build frames changed over the last year. Do you enjoy one over the other?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Craig,
    I love what you did with red 359 in the FNL sets. You're really reaching out with fun ideas. Has you desire to paint or build frames changed over the last year. Do you enjoy one over the other?
    Thanks Jonathan, I found the challenge to that one a lot of fun. Ideas are great to come up with, and then to problem solve. That one was hard because I wanted to make sure I had basecoat coverage of the whole frame. I get a lot of ideas, but realize there are limits on what will work well when the entire bicycle is looked at. I'm sure you've thought the same thing. It's easy to paint widgets all over frame and think it'll be really cool, but in reality it would lose it's sense of unity. So I'm pretty conservative with my paint. The one area that keeps coming back to me, and I haven't quite gotten my head around yet, is a true tessellation scheme. It's hard to make that one work.

As far as what do I enjoy more, building or painting? That's a tossup according to how whatever I'm doing at the moment is going! My shop is better suited to building. I truly love building, if I couldn't paint I'd still build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig, if a raw cross frame arrives on your door step with a FL return address Please make it some shade of French racing blue with the nodoz effect.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 03-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Craig, if a raw cross frame arrives on your door step with a FL return address Please make it some shade of French racing blue with the nodoz effect.
    Bring it on! I'd love to do another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring it on! I'd love to do another.
    I'll try to make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some images and a short little movie I made of the "NoDoz" project bike I recently made. This was a one off paint job where I mimicked primer and a distressed surface with basecoat. The frame itself is through and through a 359 Signature. Columbus mix and Sachs lugs were the raw materials. I hope to be bringing this one to the Baller's ride with a few changes to gearing and tires etc.

The initial inspiration came from a visit to the Mid-America Truck Show a couple of years ago in Louisville.

Richard Sachs lugs with some carving and mods.

I like a full stainless housing for my rear brake lines.

Lugs are all I do.

Remember the "Finger Of God?"

I like the Richard Sachs crowns best as my starting point. This one is brushed stainless.

Masking early on in the painting process.

Ready for clear? I can't remember when I took this one. Everything you see is basecoat or Posca markers.

After the first clear.

Because I painted my logo I was able to distress it.

All done with the paint.

With some wheels and parts.

I did a little walkaround with my iPhone video and iMovie (which I don't really know much about).

Hope you all like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently made a frame using SaxMax, UOS, and Piccoli Gioielli front and rear drop-outs. It's in paint at the moment, and I've got the first clear on. I'll let it rest a day or so then get back to it. I've been putting photos up on my Picasa site in a UOS set. See it here, https://picasaweb.google.com/1000872...7311/SaxMaxUOS
    Inspiration comes loosely from RMO Liberia. It'll have black decals with white outline.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is rawesome atmo.
    It's the first-ever image I have seen with the parts assembled and colored.
    Thanks.
    PS The R is silent.

I recently made a frame using SaxMax, UOS, and Piccoli Gioielli front and rear drop-outs. It's in paint at the moment, and I've got the first clear on. I'll let it rest a day or so then get back to it. I've been putting photos up on my Picasa site in a UOS set. See it here, https://picasaweb.google.com/1000872...7311/SaxMaxUOS
    Inspiration comes loosely from RMO Liberia. It'll have black decals with white outline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UOS Fresh from paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CR- really nice work.

Can I ask a question about the smallest of details?
    How do you paint the "confetti" (that is what I think when I see it- really nice) on the head tube in other places? This is all done by hand correct? I hope that questions is approriate.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Sincerely,
    Georges

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    CR- really nice work.

Can I ask a question about the smallest of details?
    How do you paint the "confetti" (that is what I think when I see it- really nice) on the head tube in other places? This is all done by hand correct? I hope that questions is approriate.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Sincerely,
    Georges
    Thank you Georges,
    yes, I draw the decorations on my head tube, and the seat tube panel. I do some masking, paint a background, then make my marks. It's not fancy, in fact it's a balance between being effective and spending a prohibitive amount of time. For the other details on the frame I try to mask and spray with basecoat as much as possible. For lining and filling in small lug drillings I use a Fluidwriter with basecoat. I would do more work by hand, but there is a fine line between right and goofy.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting on a few parts for the build, but the paints on. More in FNL tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

This is really really nice. You really know how to show off to advantage (as said by my dictionnary) the tubesets, drop-outs, fork crown.. And add your own signature/touch.

Ain't surprised that Richard was the first to congratulate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Craig for the thoughtful response- I appreciate that.
    I love the hand painted lines- total style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

I notice that you put your rear brake cable housing entry and exit points closer to the lugs than most builders. Is there a routing advantage or are you just trying to stay within the thicker portion of the tubes?

I'm a big fan of your work. Can't wait to ride with you in Nellysford and get a closer look at the No-Dose special.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly Wayne, I stay as close to the ends of the top tube as possible. I feel it works well for my needs, but admit I am at the extreme end of the range in placement. I use a full length stainless tube, and take advantage of any metal I can, especially when it comes to making holes in the top tube. A feature of Spirit For Lugs (Columbus) is the long butt area, and the new UOS tubes are very similar. Many tubes are lighter, but they sacrifice butt length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received this pm, and I thought I'd share it since it addresses common questions.

"Craig,
    Are you going to start producing these now? Price? Will they be available with ss fork crown? Have you ridden it yet? Thoughts on ride? How do the size of these tubes compare with the old MXL tubes?
    Thanks for any help Craig."

I made this frame for me to test. It has brought new variables into the equation, and I thought it best to get personal experience with it. I haven't ridden it yet, but if all goes well today (Saturday 5-5-12) will be the day. As far as I know this is the first example of the new fork parts by Richard Sachs to hit the road. The UOS tubing has been used by a few before this time, I think the first example was a Curt Goodrich frame with a carbon fork. I know there were examples at NAHBS this year.

As it stands I will be offering this tubeset as a standard option, and as such it will be priced as all my other work. Meaning any frame I make is the same price with no add ons. One price is everything except shipping. The ss fork crown is an unknown, Richard may produce them. If they are available I will offer them. How these tubes compare to older MXL tubes is yet to be seen. I believe steel has steadily gotten better, not worse, and Columbus is at the top of the heap in my opinion. I hope this helps, stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the shade of green. Excellent work!