Thread: Zanconato

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Zanconato

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    All the pictures I've seen suggest that you're building no-nonsense race bikes / fast trail bikes. Right up my alley.
    Agreed. Everytime I see a Zank MTB I think "yeah, I'd ride that"
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Hey Mike,

Good to hear on the site. I guess the existing one is "old" ;-)
    Yeah, very old. Flash based. I cringe now.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Agreed. Everytime I see a Zank MTB I think "yeah, I'd ride that"
    Thanks, Dustin. That means a ton!
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re "Cross bike handling with flat bar and flat tires". Just curious, do you try to achieve that mainly in the front end with a steeper HT angle, something with the front center, etc? Or do you work some magic with the chainstay length too? Seems like 29ers with uber short chainstays are all the rage (never tried one myself), but I'm wondering how that plays into your design philosophy.

Oh yeah, anyone ask you to build a 27.5er yet?

BTW, _love_ that green 29er. The paint is just perfect too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
    Don't....

tempt...

me....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic but AWESOME. Our local bicycle racing cx mavens created a survey to capture all the excellent cx goings on. One of the questions is "Dream Bike". Check out the list.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W6GYBK6
    6. Dream bike
    Dream bike Zanconato
    Stoemper "Diamond Dave"
    Alchemy
    Mosaic
    Anything Handmade / Custom
    Desalvo
    Specialized Enduro
    Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Speedvagen
    Caletti CX Custom
    Ibis Hakkalugi Disc

Also, check out question #35 "Best Regional Series" with Zancanato single speed at the top.

Mike, buddy you have quietly done some marvelous things for the sport. Makes me very proud to say I'm a pal.

35. Best regional series
    Best regional series
    Zancanato single speed
    GACX
    INWCX
    NCCX
    Verge NECX
    Chi Cross Cup
    Boulder Racing Series
    Shimano New England Pro
    MABRA Super 8
    BASP
    Cross Crusad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- zanconato, andretti & ferrari..
    righteous in their own league and my pleasure to have smiled with..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
    Re "Cross bike handling with flat bar and flat tires". Just curious, do you try to achieve that mainly in the front end with a steeper HT angle, something with the front center, etc? Or do you work some magic with the chainstay length too? Seems like 29ers with uber short chainstays are all the rage (never tried one myself), but I'm wondering how that plays into your design philosophy.

BTW, _love_ that green 29er. The paint is just perfect too!
    Hi Wayne,
    Nothing crazy. Back in 06, I built a few different SS frames with different front end geometries. Basically covered from 69 to 72 degree head angles, from 55 to 70 mm of BB drop, and also slightly different reaches and stem lengths. The rear of the bikes had sliders, so I could change chainstay length by about an inch. I gravitated to the steeper head angle, about 55-60 mm BB drop, a 9 cm stem, and 45 cm chainstays. I didn't like shorter chainstays, and I was constantly clipping pedals at 70 mm BB drop. Since then, the guys I've built frames for have been really happy with that style frame. Funny, but it's all pretty close to Niner specs.

I've had a few requests for 27.5. I'm totally game. The Reba 27.5 just came in stock, so I want to get some time on that myself. It'll be interesting to compare. I honestly don't really remember what it's like to ride a 26" wheel bike.

Thanks for the feedback on the green! The customer was pretty excited too.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh, thanks. We have some big plans for the SSCX series this fall. We are even hoping to have a single speed-only event with some killer race formats. The format we used at Baller's last year will have some influence. I love the idea of testing 4-5 minute pain fitness.

Ronnie, mi casa es su casa.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Josh, thanks. We have some big plans for the SSCX series this fall. We are even hoping to have a single speed-only event with some killer race formats. The format we used at Baller's last year will have some influence. I love the idea of testing 4-5 minute pain fitness.

Ronnie, mi casa es su casa.
    Not sure how game CXers would be for it, but consider something like the Short Track race at the GA SS Championships. Super fast, very technical, insanely fun. Not for the faint of heart. Race Report: Georgia Single Speed Championships | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The philosophy for the 29ers is "cross bike handling with flat bar and fat tires." Myette said that after his first ride on his. In other words, I want something that handles quickly, demands your attention, and rewards you with saving your butt with a little flick when that unexpected tree/turn/boulder/deer jumps out at you in the singletrack. And yeah, a bike that rails the berms at Stewart. 98 days until Singlespeedapalooza 2013!

We're working on the new site that will have a lot more information. I'll have a couple of options for paint (powder and wet) and dropouts (gear and SS), but there won't be too many other options beyond that. I'll have a pretty narrow focus.
    Hi,
    If I'm understanding correctly, will mountain bikes be offered in a few stock (or semi custom) sizes with some no-frills options? Keeping the full boat custom / brazed options for CX and Road? That sounds like a good balance to me. Despite owning a McClung, I tend to think of mountain bikes as a more basic and utilitarian tool. Will there be much (or any) pricing differential between the two formats? I'm not sure that last question belongs here, so feel free to ignore if it's a bit crass.

I love the sound of the handling traits you're aiming for. I use the analogy of a Track bike when people ask about the handling of my custom 29er. That bike's quick and intuitive handling is part of the reason I've gone through a succession of production 29ers: It tends to make other bikes feel like tractors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. The format we used at baller's last year will have some influence. I love the idea of testing 4-5 minute pain fitness.
    do this so that i can get motivated to race bikes please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    Hi,
    If I'm understanding correctly, will mountain bikes be offered in a few stock (or semi custom) sizes with some no-frills options? Keeping the full boat custom / brazed options for CX and Road? That sounds like a good balance to me. Despite owning a McClung, I tend to think of mountain bikes as a more basic and utilitarian tool. Will there be much (or any) pricing differential between the two formats? I'm not sure that last question belongs here, so feel free to ignore if it's a bit crass.

I love the sound of the handling traits you're aiming for. I use the analogy of a Track bike when people ask about the handling of my custom 29er. That bike's quick and intuitive handling is part of the reason I've gone through a succession of production 29ers: It tends to make other bikes feel like tractors.
    I wouldn't necessarily be only offering stock sizes, but you're spot-on in terms of no-frills. Basically two options: geared or single speed. I think your track bike analogy is a good one, though it might scare a few people. I'm shooting for the other side of the spectrum from a tractor.

Regarding the two formats or platforms, you are correct. The mountain bikes will only be welded, whereas the road and cross bikes will be either welded or lugged. The lugged bikes will be wet paint only. The welded bikes will have the option of either powder or wet paint; powder will be about $350 less expensive. The powder coated welded frames will be about half the cost of a lugged frameset.

Thanks for the questions!
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike,

Have admired your bikes since you and I had exchanged email about the green lugged mountain bike you built for yourself back on serotta forum days.

Question: what is your connection with Belgium color and theme bikes? I really love the light blue, red, and yellow accents on your new team scheme that you announce. The Belgium light blue team leading the cyclocross worlds also was cool to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone,
    A couple of quick announcements. I'm back to work after being out with mama, David, and Luke. Moving forward, I'll be in the shop Mon-Thur 7:30- 4:00. Friday will be an office day. I'm working on plowing through my email and PMs now. Over the next few days, I'll be in touch with everyone on the list as well with some updates.

In about two weeks, you'll see an overhaul of zanconato.com. Yes, the dinosaur website is being put out to pasture.

Thanks again for all of the well wishes with Luke! And thank you for being the best customers, supporters, and pals on the planet.
    Mike

Crushed by love by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling warm all over looking at the future of Z. bikes.

Mike is the epitome of a standup guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, Mike! Glad to hear everyone's doing well.

If I convince myself that I have enough motor to push a 29'er single speed around here, I'll be giving you another call! My beloved Zank still gets more comments than any other bike in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pic. Watch out for that sucker punch! Mike, You know what I'm talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome photo, Mike! Looking forward to the new site and all the other goodies from the Zank factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike,
    fantastic weld, congratulations for your frames! What kind of tig setting do you use? Do you use a steady movement and dabbing ?
    again congratulations.