User Tag List

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What are the brands of hoops (rims) you are riding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are the brands of hoops (rims) you are riding?

According to STRAVA it turns out I sprint fast on flat roads.. Should I get Bora 50's or Bora 35's? I want to go faster!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    According to STRAVA it turns out I sprint fast on flat roads.. Should I get Bora 50's or Bora 35's? I want to go faster!
    50's, and some elk steaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please supply an Elk steak. Intervals are making me hungry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are always welcome at casa ryce. The freezer is populated with wild elk, venison and at the moment springer salmon, to say nothing of the wine cellar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone see the new open pro's? I guess they are $200 each but pretty tricked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gltapley View Post
    This thread is mostly aimed at the folks who are still riding custom wheels, but others feel free to chime in.

These days with the old school rim makers having died out. I am thinking Super Champion, Fiamme, Martano (that one takes us back...don't it?), Araya, Nisi and Rigida. Just seems that there are fewer and fewer nice alloy rim choices out there.

Mavic and Ambrosio still make some great rims but I mostly would like to hear some input form people who are on Alex, Velocity and Kinlin. A couple of riding buddies are on Kinlin rims and have great things to say about them. Just curious to what the rest of you all are doing..

As for myself. I am still riding on some old Mavic Open 4's. When it comes to prebuilt wheels over the years I have liked Mavic but now am leaning a bit towards Easton.

Mountiain bikers please feel free to chime in too. I know Stan's makes some great porducts...

Gtapley
    I have some polished Kinlin TB25s, 20/24 laced to silver polished WI T11 hubs and Sapim silver spokes, silver QRs and Veloflex carbon tubies :)
    These I haven't even ridden yet, still waiting for my steel frame to be painted and shipped_ can't wait!

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a new set of 28H Easton R90SL rims built up recently. Laced with CX-Rays to DA 7900 hubs, 2x front, 3x rear. Have to say, these are really nice. Smooth, comfy, roll like crazy, look good, tires mount easy. Stickers came off with no issues for the stealth look. Quite happy with them. Pricey, yes, but wheels for me seem to last decades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearly every Weds of 2016 I took my Zukas gravel bike mountain biking. I only wanted to take one bike with me to Augusta each week, and it was versatile enough to ride gravel on Monday, group road ride on Tues, and the weekly MTB ride on Weds. The trail wasn't super demanding, and with the right tires I could hang with most of the MTBers. Not the fast ones, and I was certainly working harder than the folks I could hang with, but it was pretty fun.

The trail that takes you to the loop from the road goes under a bridge and across a short little rock garden. I always walked it with the gravel bike...there's a few sharp edges, small tires, not a great combo. One day I decided, nah I can ride this. So I did. Bottomed out both of my Nox A36D rims, hard. Made a terrible noise. Stopped, looked everything over, didn't see any damage, wheels were still perfectly true. No worries I guess.

A few weeks later when putting the bike onto the rack on my car I noticed a few of the rear wheel spoke holes had some very faint cracks showing. Pretty sure that's where that terrible noise came from while riding the rocks. I kept an eye on the wheels for a while, making sure they didn't go out of true, cracks didn't grow, but I kept riding them. That was about 7 or 8 months ago. The cracks never grew, wheel was still true.

It's a 24 spoke wheel, I'm about 175lbs. I've sold and built a lot of Nox rims over the years, these are only the 2nd pair I've built that cracked. The other was a MTB rim that was cracked at Megavlanch or whatever that crazy French enduro is called - the guy found the crack when he got home and was unpacking the bike. So, the cracks on these, I'm taking the blame for that. They're road rims, I was MTBing with them, riding a rock garden where I've bottomed out honest-to-God MTB wheels/tires before. I shoulda known better.

So even though the cracks weren't growing, I decided to rebuild the wheels with the new Citico rims. They're wider, lighter, and more gravel-oriented whereas the A36D was really a road oriented rim. Since I've got a 'real' road bike now I didn't need deep(ish) wheels for the gravel bike.

So, here it is with the new Citico rims. Lasers front and rear NDS, Race on the DS. Turquoise/aqua-blue alloy nips. White Industries CLD hubs. 1445g. Gonna break them in tomorrow at a charity road ride, and race on 'em next weekend at the Red Clay Ramble. After Red Clay I'll put the tougher Gravel King tires on these - the roads at the Red Clay Ramble are doable with the lighter faster rolling Compass tires, and I'm hoping to average 20mph or better at Red Clay, so I need all the help I can get haha.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody have building experience with the Kinlin XR-26?

Kinlin XR-26T Tubeless Road Rim - Fair Wheel Bikes
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are Mavic Open Pro tubulars, 32h laced to Curtis Odom hubs. Nobody else has anything like this which suits me just fine :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a wheel back from the shop: dt swiss 411 laced to a king R45. I'm really impressed so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone recommend a lightweight alloy disc rim? I've actually had really good luck with the DT EX331, and like the squorx nipples it comes with, but wondering if I should try something else. Needs to be tubeless, and play nice with 28-35mm tires. For a light rider, 135 lbs, who is also light on gear.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By EX331 you mean XR331 right ? It doesn't have the hype of some other rims but it's the best price/weight/quality ratio I have found

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a really wide pair of carbon tubular tubular rim brake rims that were kind of a pain to set up, so I just bought a set of HED Belgium C2 rims. HED had the tubular versions on closeout at $75 a piece. Pretty stoked! Also, can't wait to not have to futz with my canti's this year during cross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kansukee View Post
    These are Mavic Open Pro tubulars, 32h laced to Curtis Odom hubs. Nobody else has anything like this which suits me just fine :)
    well, not nobody else... i mean somebody else always has something right...
    [IMG]Berty lookin fly by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gouachito View Post
    By EX331 you mean XR331 right ? It doesn't have the hype of some other rims but it's the best price/weight/quality ratio I have found
    Yeah, my bad. I built a set for her MTB last year, and shes uses them for everything. I even raced at gloucester tubeless CX with them because I was frustrated flatting tubulars. They were 28 spoke with sapim lasers, and I weigh 200 lbs. They shouldnt have worked but they did. I ordered 2 more of them for her, and 361's for myself. I dont like that they dont have any sort of bead lock shelf (like the American Classics did) but I heard questionable things about how reliable those were anyways.

I do wonder what industry nine uses, I think they are in house, but their alloy lightweight rim seems to match up very well. If I didnt have a bunch of hubs around I'd be looking at them.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    well, not nobody else... i mean somebody else always has something right...
    [IMG]Berty lookin fly by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Close, but you have different rims :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just received some WTB Kom 27.5", will lace them soon and see what happens with an older 26" frame that may have room for them...!

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always like the KOM rims. WTB originally marketed them as an enduro-rated "carbon replacement" which I knew was BS based on the weight - they're just too light to take major abuse. Some people did buy into that marketing and promptly destroyed them riding lift-assist trails.

But - for most riders doing general trail riding they're plenty stout enough at a reasonable weight. I built a bunch of them and never had any complaints.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been riding Martindale 50mm clinchers with White Industry hubs for 2 years and absolutely love them for cross and the road. I'm pretty bummed that Phil retired from wheel building this year, but I did snag one more set before he cleaned out the shop...

I also picked up a set of HED Ardennes LT plus which I'm digging so far.