User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What are the brands of hoops (rims) you are riding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are the brands of hoops (rims) you are riding?

I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL tubulars incoming.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    What's the weak point on the SL23? I've run mine for on some beat to hell Ohio roads. they've gotten a little wobbly recently but they made it to the end of the braking surface with no real incident.
    They crack at the spoke holes...if yours have gotten a little wobbly check them for cracks. They don't always crack, but it happens often enough. I've built a lot of wheels the last 5yrs or so, and the only ones to ever crack were 5 (I think) SL23s (first and 2nd generation versions), and one SL25. There is a new rim that's replaced the SL23/25, it's called the Forza, and I suspect it'll be a much more durable rim. Even comes in an offset version. Not as light as the SL23/25, but if it doesn't crack it's worth the weight gain.

Pacenti Forza for Chris

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: DT Swiss RR411

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Those look really cool....but the rim weight at those dimensions is skirting the too good to be true line IMO. They're 4mm wider than the DT RR511 at the same depth and they weigh in ~50g less.
    I found this while digging around for info on them the other week:

"Suggested maximum system weight of 100 KG, those looking for a rim for heavier riders or for mixed terrain riding are advised to consider the suitably tough RR 511 DB’s."

DT Swiss RR411 | launch of new rim series | Strada Hand Built Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They crack at the spoke holes...if yours have gotten a little wobbly check them for cracks. They don't always crack, but it happens often enough. I've built a lot of wheels the last 5yrs or so, and the only ones to ever crack were 5 (I think) SL23s (first and 2nd generation versions), and one SL25. There is a new rim that's replaced the SL23/25, it's called the Forza, and I suspect it'll be a much more durable rim. Even comes in an offset version. Not as light as the SL23/25, but if it doesn't crack it's worth the weight gain.
    My rear Pacenti SL23 got wobbly and that's when I found the cracks on the DS spoke holes. Replaced it with an Easton R90 SL. Still have a Pacenti on the front. I like what Pacenti brings to the market, I hope they're past the cracking issues.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pacenti Forza for Chris

Thanks for the tip. I just did the inspection and found a big crack on the driveside of the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had a set of Boyd Altamont's built up around White Industries T11 hubs and so far I am super impressed. Running Challenge Gravel Grinder open tubulars for a hella smooth ride, will be upgrading to latex tubes in the near future.

I didn't (still don't) know much about Boyd but my wheelbuilder seems to prefer them to the Pacenti's or HED Belgiums. However, that could have more to do with availability than anything else since I know he's had trouble with Pacenti in the past and the HED's are quite expensive to get up in The Great White North. Either way, it's my first set of properly hand-built wheels and so far they track a lot straighter and stiffer than my $200 Velomine specials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Replaced it with an Easton R90 SL.
    Bill how are the Easton rims? I have read some good things but haven't seen a ton of real person feedback yet.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the Derby carbon rims for my 26" MTB wheel.

Clean
    2016-08-30 19.16.50 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

Dirty
    2017-03-11 10.42.59 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a road rim recommendation: what clincher alloy caliper brake rim to go with DA7900 hubs, 28f/32r drilling? Rider is 180# and rides in hills. What is out there now? Pacenti and DT440's are out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Looking for a road rim recommendation: what clincher alloy caliper brake rim to go with DA7900 hubs, 28f/32r drilling? Rider is 180# and rides in hills. What is out there now? Pacenti and DT440's are out.
    That only leaves about 100 other options...how much are you looking to spend and what is your desired aesthetic? What is your desired rim width? What's your reason for eliminating 440s and Pacenti?

Help us help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, let's see if I can provide more info. Price not really a concern, since alloy rims are not too pricey in general, and I already have the hubs. They're silver hubs, so will probably go with silver spokes and nipples and a black rim. Width, too, isn't too much of a concern, but probably not interested in 25mm wide rims, or the old narrow Open Pros either. Since hub drilling calls for a pretty high number of spokes, will probably consider Revolutions for front wheel and 15 straight gage or even Revos for the rear; 2x front and 3x rear. Could also be talked into CX Rays, but seems more people try to talk folks out of using them when you're running so many spokes. The new Mavic Exalith OPs are probably overkill - don't really need exalith. Have heard too many stories of Pacenti rims cracking, and I have had too many issues trying to get tires to seat on the DT440 rims when fixing flats on the road.
    Rim depth is a good question. I've been intrigued by Campy Neutron Ultras, which have super low profiles, but have also heard good things about taller profile Easton R90sl rims.
    How's that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying riding DT Swiss RR585 rims/32h Record hubs/ Sapim Race spokes/ Conti 4Season 28c under my petite 110 kilos for +/- 10k KM. Have a new set of Kinlin 31T OC rims/ 32h Record hubs /Sapim Race spokes/ Vittoria Cross XN Pro II 31c for a CX build just completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok, let's see if I can provide more info. Price not really a concern, since alloy rims are not too pricey in general, and I already have the hubs. They're silver hubs, so will probably go with silver spokes and nipples and a black rim. Width, too, isn't too much of a concern, but probably not interested in 25mm wide rims, or the old narrow Open Pros either. Since hub drilling calls for a pretty high number of spokes, will probably consider Revolutions for front wheel and 15 straight gage or even Revos for the rear; 2x front and 3x rear. Could also be talked into CX Rays, but seems more people try to talk folks out of using them when you're running so many spokes. The new Mavic Exalith OPs are probably overkill - don't really need exalith. Have heard too many stories of Pacenti rims cracking, and I have had too many issues trying to get tires to seat on the DT440 rims when fixing flats on the road.
    Rim depth is a good question. I've been intrigued by Campy Neutron Ultras, which have super low profiles, but have also heard good things about taller profile Easton R90sl rims.
    How's that?
    I've got a R90 SL rim on my back wheel that replaced a cracked Pacenti. It's 24mm wide versus 23mm for the Pacenti it replaced. A 25mm Michelin Pro4 measures 30mm on the Easton, 29mm on a Pacenti. It's kind of tight on my bike. The Easton is a very nice rim, just make sure you have clearance.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up some 36H NOS Mavic MACH2CD2 rims which I always loved...building them up with some Hope RS4 silver hubs (Campagnolo). I will be using these as everyday wheels with some nice wide tubulars...

Not sure on spokes at the moment as my wheel builder has informed me DT spokes are now being manufactured in Asia somewhere and the quality has dropped considerably so will decide when the rear hub arrives.
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a rear Pacenti SL23 crack and relaced to Easton R90 SL. Really nice rim: bombproof and stiff as expected, nice breaking surface, easy to mount.

I'm totally considering relacing the front to a R90 as well if I could find one in 20H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody build a set of wheels with DT Swiss rr511 rims (32mm deep, 18mm inner width, 530gr)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody build a set of wheels with DT Swiss rr511 rims (32mm deep, 18mm inner width, 530gr)?
    I've built a few now, one rear rim brake rim I laced to a used hub, one new disc brake dynamo wheelset. The disc brake rims are about 30g lighter.

Typical DT, good build quality, invisible seam. They require the use of those PHR washers.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet looking wheel there, Dustin. Any ride feedback from client?

That one is 24 hole, which is what I'll use up front. I know my 32 hole rear hub would be overkill for a rim like that, but it's a nice 7900 job, so want to use it. RR460 and Easton r90sl rims are still in contention, too. Doubt seriously I'd notice any difference between any of them, in all honesty.

Which is why I haven't got this project started yet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet looking wheel there, Dustin. Any ride feedback from client?

That one is 24 hole, which is what I'll use up front. I know my 32 hole rear hub would be overkill for a rim like that, but it's a nice 7900 job, so want to use it. RR460 and Easton r90sl rims are still in contention, too. Doubt seriously I'd notice any difference between any of them, in all honesty.

Which is why I haven't got this project started yet...
    Not really any feedback. This customer is a bigger (but not huge) guy who's spend some serious coin on several nice sets of custom wheels...but they were terrible wheels for him. Not enough spokes, too light / not stiff enough rims, like a 24 spoke rear wheel using the Stan's Alpha 340 rim. He had me rebuild that hub with something that'll hopefully last longer, and he also bought a new set of wheels better suited to him, more spokes, and a much stiffer rim.

Look at the HED Belgium Plus too. Good bit lighter, and it's wider. Not as deep obviously, and more expensive. The Boyd Altamont is nearly as deep (30mm), wider, and lighter, and equally well made. The graphics are not removable like with the DT though. The DT RR411 is nice too, lower profile lighter weight option, with an offset rear available.

I haven't built any of the Easton road rims yet but have heard good things.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i own a LOT of wheels, both tubular and clincher. while they are not ideal for every ride, sometimes i still like to go for longer rides on my old nemesis wheels. i havent found anything that rides quite like them yet. Not necessarily the "best" riding wheels, but definitely something unique about them.