User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What are the brands of hoops (rims) you are riding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are the brands of hoops (rims) you are riding?

Also curious about how heavy-duty those Nox+WI disc wheels are. Could up the spoke count for *cough* heftier riders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeef View Post
    Also curious about how heavy-duty those Nox+WI disc wheels are. Could up the spoke count for *cough* heftier riders?
    Yep, the rims come in a 28H drilling also, and since they have the offset spoke bed that helps keep all the spokes at a higher tension, which is good for everyone, but especially heavier riders. We can also use heavier gauge spokes if needed.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building Paul Word disc hubs with Velocity Blunt SS 29" for new Ti build.
    Riding White Eccentric disc single with Velocity Blunt SS 29" on Gunnar.
    White Eccentric Velocity A23 700C on scrappy single.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just built up 28 hole ambrosio montreal rims on miche rg2 hubs with competitions all round 2x. first time tubular user on a budget too. looking at affordable tubs to mount, sprinters or ompetitions, yet to decide.

my first set of wheels i built were archetypes on said hubs, replaced them with 08 ksyrium equipe so i could build the tubs. archetypes built up only 10 grams heavier than ksyriums but they ride better than the wider archetypes...... who woulda thunk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main bike has nothing fancy on it but that's the way I wanted it, I wanted durability so I got Shimano WH-R501-30 when I bought the bike (the silver series of this model has a slightly deeper profile than the black version so I got the silver ones). I have other bikes with all sorts of wheels like Torelli Master Series, Wolber Alpina, Wolber Aubisque, Weinmann 416, UKAI, Araya, a couple of others, all of which are nothing special but they work and hold up really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got a new real wheel with an Easton R90 SL rim. It replaced a Pacenti SL23 V1 that cracked. It has a 24mm width which gives a nice profile to a 25mm tire and is tubeless compatible. It also doesn't require any superhuman strength or special technique to get a tire mounted which is nice since most flats are on the rear.
    R9 SL & DISC - Easton Cycling
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite current set of wheels are my Boyd Altamont Lites that I've got laced to Onyx Racing hubs. I replaced a set of HED Belgiums to White Industries T11s with the Boyd/Onyx wheelset. I'm not sure I've found an aluminum wheelset I've been happier with. The width of the rim is great for giving tires a nice profile, they're a pleasant company to work with and the finish of the rim is top notch. I also do like the standard Altamonts that I've built with if you're looking for something a little deeper.

I've also got a couple of sets of HPlus Sons laced up. Archetypes to I9 on one bike, Archetypes to Phil track hubs on another. Tb14s to SP Dynamo & Sturmey Archer S3x on another bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, on my GT Grade I run a set of Velocity Ailerons that I have laced using Sapim Force (triple butted) spokes to White Industries CLD hubs which I've upgraded to their higher engagement ratchet ring. They're quite nice wheels. I've got them 36h 4x rear and 32h 3x front as I'm a bit of a lard arse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of Stans Alpha 340 hoops ready to lace to Ultegra 6800 hubs when I get some free time. I wanted to go wider, but it's tricky fitting to my Spooky Skeletor.

I've also been rolling Pacenti CL25 to White Industries M16 hubs for several years on my mountain bike and I really like them. I'm going to get thru axles for those and put them on my Specialized Sequoia for DK200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom made and not factory built I have a pair of Torelli Master Series wheels that was built by an LBS, and a pair of Velocity Dyad wheels built by Peter White. The rest of the wheels I have are either factory built or built by hand in a factory that were then put on factory bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a horizontal top tube and skinny gumwall world. I would ride only MA-40s if I could. Hard ano TB14s look really sharp. Unfortunately you need to order direct if you want hard ano tb14s in 36, and shipping from China is pricey. I have two Open Pro CDs on order for a 36h C-record hubset, and one Open Pro CD lying around that will get laced to a 7600 front hub eventually. The matching Open Pro CD / 7600 rear hub has been in service for a year now

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody try a build with the Zipp 30 Course rims?

Or how about either of these DT rims - R460 and the new, lighter RR411?

Just wondering if there's anything else other than the HED Belgiums to seriously consider. I am seriously interested in Campy Neutron Ultras but am always thinking about the end-of-rim-life question with factory wheels - what then, just throw out the hubs...?

And anyone have a 28H Shimano-splined rear hub lying around? I've got some orphaned front hubs looking for mates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post

Or how about either of these DT rims - R460 and the new, lighter RR411?

Just wondering if there's anything else other than the HED Belgiums to seriously consider. I am seriously interested in Campy Neutron Ultras but am always thinking about the end-of-rim-life question with factory wheels - what then, just throw out the hubs...?

And anyone have a 28H Shimano-splined rear hub lying around? I've got some orphaned front hubs looking for mates.
    I'm intrigued by the 411 rims. It looks like a wider but not really "wide" rim (22mm) that could be used on bikes with less clearance but still reap some benefits of a larger/wider tire. My bikes are older with more traditional clearance, the wider rims (23-24mm) make a 25mm tire tight on the rear.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm riding DT460s on my winter/commuting wheels and like them. They look good (minus decals), they hold up well, and they have brake wear indicators. They might be a bit easier for tire mounting than the Pacenti SL23s on my other wheels.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... I am seriously interested in Campy Neutron Ultras but am always thinking about the end-of-rim-life question with factory wheels - what then, just throw out the hubs...?
    I had a reasonably new rear wheel Neutron Ultra get smashed all up to where the rim was in two pieces (a car on the road) so I just cut the spokes that still remained and took the hub to a good local shop and asked them if they'd like to rebuild the wheel. They enthusiastically said yes, I think they really wanted to work on something other than the usual. It took forever for the parts to come in but I rode that wheel until the front wheel's rim was like foil. I still have it and use it in a pinch. I should get them both rebuilt again because the hubs still work fine. Building wheels is way beyond my skill level so I have to hire that one out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
    I have a pair of Stans Alpha 340 hoops ready to lace to Ultegra 6800 hubs when I get some free time. I wanted to go wider, but it's tricky fitting to my Spooky Skeletor.

I've also been rolling Pacenti CL25 to White Industries M16 hubs for several years on my mountain bike and I really like them. I'm going to get thru axles for those and put them on my Specialized Sequoia for DK200.
    FWIW I've been running wide wheels on my Spooky Skeletor pretty much exclusively and haven't had any fit issues. HED Belgium, Pacenti SL23, and HED Stingers all clear just fine. For tires I can run a 25 or 26 pretty easily. I got a little bit of rub on my derailleur clamp when I tried to run a gatorskin 28. either a different clamp or some time with the die grinder would likely fix that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any real-world experience with the AL33 yet?

AForce Al33 wheelset first ride review - BikeRadar USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know of people that have...I am not sure what the attraction is other than the name...they weigh almost as much as a Deep V....and are not cheap unless you are getting a discount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    Any real-world experience with the AL33 yet?

AForce Al33 wheelset first ride review - BikeRadar USA
    Those look really cool....but the rim weight at those dimensions is skirting the too good to be true line IMO. They're 4mm wider than the DT RR511 at the same depth and they weigh in ~50g less. I've rebuild enough SL23s to be weary, so I'm holding off on offering them until there's more real world use and abuse out there to see how they hold up over time.

RE: the RR411 - very nice rim, built my first set of them up last week.

In Depth :: DT Swiss RR411 Rims

White Industries T11's, 20/24 w/CX-Rays weighed in at 1474g.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Those look really cool....but the rim weight at those dimensions is skirting the too good to be true line IMO. They're 4mm wider than the DT RR511 at the same depth and they weigh in ~50g less. I've rebuild enough SL23s to be weary, so I'm holding off on offering them until there's more real world use and abuse out there to see how they hold up over time.

RE: the RR411 - very nice rim, built my first set of them up last week.

In Depth :: DT Swiss RR411 Rims

White Industries T11's, 20/24 w/CX-Rays weighed in at 1474g.

They're supposedly as good as a zipp 303 in the wind tunnel as well. I don't think I'm going to rush to be an early adopter though. light, aero, and cheap? there's got to be a catch. (hence why I'm asking for real world opinions).

What's the weak point on the SL23? I've run mine for on some beat to hell Ohio roads. they've gotten a little wobbly recently but they made it to the end of the braking surface with no real incident.