the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Golden Mean

Question for the gang.....

When laying out a series of holes with different sizes, such as in the point of a lug or the tang of a fork crown, do any of you try to apply the Golden Mean or Fibonacci numbers?

If so, can you explain your method?

Cheers,

Cycles Noir

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Golden Mean

Quote Originally Posted by CyclesNoir View Post
    Question for the gang.....

When laying out a series of holes with different sizes, such as in the point of a lug or the tang of a fork crown, do any of you try to apply the Golden Mean or Fibonacci numbers?

If so, can you explain your method?

Cheers,

Cycles Noir
    to be perfectly candid, i eyeball them atmo.
    no, really...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by bellman; 03-24-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: realized after re reading the question that my answer was not what you were after

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this recently as well, in relation to a grid.
    It would be interesting to pick a tubeset this way (Fibonacci)... If trees and every other strong design in nature are based on it, I don't see how I could go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put hearts and spades in there, you know, just to be unique.
    FRAMEBUILDING PARTS FOR SALE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as i took philosophy courses instead of art for electives in college, this thread launched me into a seek and discover and learn mode.

that's neat stuff. math and science and nature and all the interrelated goodness.

so thanks, now i know.

and as to other aspect of the question in the op--can't one (not saying me) have a great feel for balance and proportion w/o formal education in those areas, say just naturally? because of course one cannot be familiar with the "golden mean" or fibonacci w/o some level of training, but one could possibly have an "eye".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    as i took philosophy courses instead of art for electives in college, this thread launched me into a seek and discover and learn mode.

that's neat stuff. math and science and nature and all the interrelated goodness.

so thanks, now i know.

and as to other aspect of the question in the op--can't one (not saying me) have a great feel for balance and proportion w/o formal education in those areas, say just naturally? because of course one cannot be familiar with the "golden mean" or fibonacci w/o some level of training, but one could possibly have an "eye".
    As an art teacher of HS kids...
    Yes. Usually the ones that see it and get it don't have a clue what the mean is and it's historical context until they are shown. All of them can apply principles of composition with instruction. Everybody improves, some very little, some a lot. The good ones just get a lot better quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    If that kind of stuff interests you read Godel, Escher, Bach. I read it in HS 23 years ago and it broke my brain and affected my thinking ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey View Post
    If that kind of stuff interests you read Godel, Escher, Bach. I read it in HS 23 years ago and it broke my brain and affected my thinking ever since.
    have a copy somewhere. 'twas required reading* for one of the philosophy classes.

*doesn't mean i read it, just got "familiar" enough with it for discussion and testing...it's an add thing.

always fascinated by places where the mind** "crosses" such as here with higher math and art.

**our understanding of the mind and how these things fit into our mathematical explanations. (the problems of general relativity and hawkings' work on that and gravitational issues resolved by theorizing 9-11 dimensions. that sort of stuff

back to my comments on the op--my fascination here is the cross-over. we don't generally see artists as mathematical folks, nor do we see physicists/mathematician/scientists as artisans, but there are relationships 'twixt the two.

are we "imposing" math upon art, or is art naturally mathematical?

phfew, i should rest now.

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"always fascinated by places where the mind** "crosses" such as here with higher math and art.

**our understanding of the mind and how these things fit into our mathematical explanations. (the problems of general relativity and hawkings' work on that and gravitational issues resolved by theorizing 9-11 dimensions. that sort of stuff

back to my comments on the op--my fascination here is the cross-over. we don't generally see artists as mathematical folks, nor do we see physicists/mathematician/scientists as artisans, but there are relationships 'twixt the two. "

Been off the great cyber highway for a week. Interesting points. In a past career as a software development manager, it was pretty much accepted as fact that those who were good at music, were also good at programming and mathematics. I never saw a hire of a music major, or skilled musician, that didn't prove to be good at coding.

Anyhow, eyeballs are great, and I think mine are usually pretty good. But, I'm still playing with tools to make things work better/faster.

Someone asked about examples of Fibonacci numbers actually used in art. I'm not going to try to address that question except on a superficial level. The example I've heard, is that the taper of a classic column is defined using Fibonacci numbers. Which would be useful for achieving an effect consistently in different contexts (buildings).