Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LBS appreciation thread - say something good about your LBS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: LBS appreciation thread - say something good about your LBS

My local shop is new. It just opened in November and is the first truly local shop since the 80's...despite a strong cycling population. I think the place is great, but of course I am biased. It's my Dad's shop and it's called Blue Moon Bicycles in Griffin, GA. It's not strictly a Pro Shop at all. He has everything from tricycles to race bikes in the shop and can get you whatever Cannondale, Orbea or Blue that you want. He also has GT's and Schwinns of all types. It turns out that BMX racing is actually quite popular, so he is trying to get the stuff that those guys want also. You might even happen upon a nice used bike occasionally. It's more of an old school family bike shop with no attitude and whatever you. And if for whatever reason he doesn't have it, he will order it for you and stock it, so it will be there waiting for you next time. My Dad opened this shop as sort of a dream come true "me and my wife are finally going to do what we want to do" sort of thing and it makes him happy to work on bikes. If you're ever in the area (middle of GA) stop by and hang out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conte's in Arlington, VA -- they sponsor our team, which might slant my perspective, but I think that the decent amount of bling in the store is exceeded by decent folks. They sponsor a fair bit of cycling activity in the community, including a nice Tuesday evening hill ride followed once a month by free food and drink. Several good wrenches, I think, and "the Greg" is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elliott Bay Cycles, downtown Seattle, home of:

- Davidson Handbuilt Cycles; fine custom bikes
    - Some great mechanics -- patient and knowledgeable about new bikes, classic restorations, and "just riding around" bikes
    - Bob Freeman's collection of classic bikes, hanging from the rafters
    - Interesting accessories
    - Great paint shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the times I need/ want something at the LBS...could be something not that IMPOTANT in the
    their day. But they make a space for me. Yes, I worked there, I know the guys. I am not an employee
    remotely...but I get perks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Velotech in Palo Alto, CA - great guys, lots of high-end bling. But at the end of the day, it's all about the great service and work they do a great job on my bikes. Always available for that little tweak, adjustment, or fixing what I screwed up.

2. Shaws' Lightweight Cycles in Santa Clara, CA - another two man shop. Pretty opinionated but incredibly knowledgeable. They do a great job of fitting people to the right bike and not overselling. They got my wife fit wonderfully on a production Bianchi when no other shop could even get her remotely comfortable.

3. Bicycle Outfitters in Los Altos, CA - sometimes hit or miss customer service when I drop in to browse, but I suspect they'll be our shop when we get a tandem. They seem to be the go-to place around here for tandems and everyone raves about them in that regard.

We're lucky to have a lot of great shops around here.
    Last edited by scrubadub; 03-17-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Bad spelling. Added one more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone wants to stop and see me at Lincoln and Belmont, I'll do my best to behave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racer's Edge in Boca Raton, Florida. Super nice guys, knowledgeable and helpful. John, Vince and Jamie do a great job. Jamie rebuilt my rear wheel for me on Monday afternoon on short notice so I would not miss my Tuesday morning ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Conte's in Arlington, VA
    The folks at the Conte's in Bethesda were very cool and helpful when I went to check it out. I was happy to spend money there.
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richardson Bike Mart

When Rock Racing dropped Pat McCarty Jim Hoyt stepped up, he supports the sport 100%
    They also help sponsor the Frisco Superdrome, again giving back to the community(sport).

The mechanics can handle just about anything I throw at them, from stuck bottom bracket fixed cup on
    a 1974 Zieleman Type Special to Campy 11 speed.

Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    The folks at the Conte's in Bethesda were very cool and helpful when I went to check it out. I was happy to spend money there.
    It's nostalgic when people mention Conte's...

I bought my first GT mountain bike from Conte's way back in '96, I don't think they even did franchises then... I think they just had the 3 stores in the Hampton Roads area (I bought my GT in the Norfolk store)...

I thought it was really cool they would let me put it on lay-a-way since I was a married E4 in the military, not making anything with a wife going to college full time...
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major, major props to College Park Bicycles (in College Park, MD).

Owned by Larry Black (campeon to most, not so much to some others but incredibly generous and always helpful to me, an amazing resource for all things bike), the staff could not be more informed and eager to repair almost anything that's thrown at them and will go to great lengths to help track down virtually anything I need, from serious vintage to the latest lightest plastic out there.

Charles (Capn Crunch, the manager), Phil (mechanico supremo who seriously can 'fix anything' and is happy to share his skills), Nate (the 'evolver') and Dave C (pretty good wrench his ownself), plus a motley assortment of hangers-on and college student part-timers, it is the perfect long-time broken-in independent LBS. A little grubby, crammed with new bikes, old bikes, odd bikes and more than 100 classic steel frames hanging from the ceiling plus their non-stop service area, they make sure that you're on the bike you want, a bike that fits perfectly, a bike that makes you smile. Their sister shop in Mt Airy can service all your 'bent, folders, trike and tandem needs (nobody here for that, right?).

Much like drbk's description of his local shop in upstate NY, these folks can do it all, have seen it all, and -maybe- own it all. They have a long history of selfless contribution to the local DC bike culture. Hard to imagine a more essential LBS anywhere (and oh yeah, and they let me hang quite a few of my bikes there gratis as well).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i'll give this a couple more days before it goes Wiki

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Three wonderful shops

Signature Cycle (Greenwich Conn)
    Cyclesport (Park Ridge NJ)
    Fitwerx (VT)

Great staff with the passion for the sport and for the customer!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mardax View Post
    Major, major props to College Park Bicycles (in College Park, MD).

Owned by Larry Black (campeon to most, not so much to some others but incredibly generous and always helpful to me, an amazing resource for all things bike), the staff could not be more informed and eager to repair almost anything that's thrown at them and will go to great lengths to help track down virtually anything I need, from serious vintage to the latest lightest plastic out there.

Charles (Capn Crunch, the manager), Phil (mechanico supremo who seriously can 'fix anything' and is happy to share his skills), Nate (the 'evolver') and Dave C (pretty good wrench his ownself), plus a motley assortment of hangers-on and college student part-timers, it is the perfect long-time broken-in independent LBS. A little grubby, crammed with new bikes, old bikes, odd bikes and more than 100 classic steel frames hanging from the ceiling plus their non-stop service area, they make sure that you're on the bike you want, a bike that fits perfectly, a bike that makes you smile. Their sister shop in Mt Airy can service all your 'bent, folders, trike and tandem needs (nobody here for that, right?).

Much like drbk's description of his local shop in upstate NY, these folks can do it all, have seen it all, and -maybe- own it all. They have a long history of selfless contribution to the local DC bike culture. Hard to imagine a more essential LBS anywhere (and oh yeah, and they let me hang quite a few of my bikes there gratis as well).
    +1 - If you are still jonesin for an Aerodyne, they have one.

They seem really great for the rando crowd too. Very knowledgeable about SON hubs, etc. Its like dealing with Peter White, without the Unibomber vibe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 pages and no bitching.

Keep on Rockin V-Salon!!!!
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another bump for Stamford Cycle Center in CT

owner Ken is a super super nice guy and Nate is pretty switft

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of all the mechanics that I've personally come in contact with, there are two that I trust to touch my bike when I'm not wrenching on it myself:

Jon at Bike Route in Gainesville, FL - a long-haired hippie, Sturmey Archer hub aficionado, and Civil War geek

Richie, formerly of Elite in Philly and soon to be opening his own shop near the Art Museum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Central Wheel, Farmington, CT. Best of all worlds. Friendly, knowledgeable, well-stocked shop. Good for the sport, I feel lucky to have them 2 miles away

More props to Mendon CycleSmith: Not my lbs, but Craig is a Cannondale Lefty guru and has helped me out several times

Bicycle Cellar, Simsbury, CT: Not a 'pro' shop in terms of bikes or accessories in stock, but second to none in terms of service and technical knowledge. A+ mechanics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234