Thread: LBS appreciation thread - say something good about your LBS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: LBS appreciation thread - say something good about your LBS

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    My LBS doesn't care that I am racing for someone else, they still give me stuff at cost, free labor. There are truly some great shop owners out there.
    Wow, that's a great grassroots shop right there! Hopefully you hook the mechs up with the libation of their choice often!
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas: Mad Duck Cyclery in Grapevine (DFW area): Great small shop although closed Sunday and Monday. Last night I had some noise that I thought was coming from my front hub. Took to the shop when they opened this morning and they tightened the hub and gave me the tool in case it happens in the future - typical no charge. Great people working there.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite shop and I go way back. I've changed more than they have, but they've treated me well since way before I was even a newbie.

1995-96: I bought a cheap rigid Fisher mtbk from them. They let me test ride one $300 bike after another until I was satisfied.

1998: When the gray Marlin disappeared from my back porch shed, I went right back and bought a rust-red Tassajara. Harold, the owner, recognized me even though I probably hadn't been in since I bought that last bike. That made an impression.

2001: For some bizarre reason I decide I want a mountain bike. More obsessive test rides follow before I settle on a vivid orange/yellow Klein Adept. The store manager gives me a strange look when I asked for the shock pump that was, according to the catalog, supposed to come with the bike. He gave me one. (I still use that pump.)

2002-03: Now I want a road bike. I start cruising Internet message boards and wandering in & out of all sorts of Boston-area shops. That same manager tries to convince me that some boring-looking frame made by some guy in the mountains of Italy is what I want. I smile and listen politely, and go buy a used Seven from eBay.

2004-05: I'm riding more & more and learning all sorts of interesting bike shit on the Internet. It dawns on me that one of the guys whose posts makes the most sense is here in Boston. And then I figure out that it's that same geek in the shop. Despite this, I go buy a Serotta from another shop, one with tons of trendy high-end bikes on the floor. The guy is really nice to me anyways.

2006-07: The dude contacts me and offers me a screaming deal on one of those frames from the Italian guy. I tell him all the reasons I can't buy it and he helps me resolve them. I buy the frame. Nine months later the shop builds it for me. I love it. I’m done with other shops.

Now: Three weeks ago in Richmond I drop the shop manager’s name to the Italian builder so he’ll take the time to fit me for a custom frame. Two weeks ago I go to the shop to see the first Pegoretti with the Venessian paint scheme, and to put down a deposit - for more than I paid for that first stupid Fisher - for my Responsorium.

If I buy anything from an LBS, it’s from here. I make my friends go to this shop. I tell them there is no reason to go anywhere else. We are lucky to have a shop this good, and a manager this knowledgeable and smart, in our city.

International Bike Center and Craig Gaulzetti rule.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice idea for a thread. There are a number of great shops in Austin. My favorite is Austin Bikes. It's a small shop run by racers, including owners Sol Frost and Eric Hess along with Scott Veggeberg and Sam Frost. These guys know their stuff and create a relaxed and positive environment. It's kind of like an old episode from Cheers when you walk in "Norm!" There's none of the high-zoot snark and just good, honest advice.

Also high on my list is Mellow Johnny's. I'm a little surprised to be shilling for Lance's shop, but the people who work there are really helpful, they sponsor the UT team, Team Hotel San Jose, and the all-women's Austin Flyers, and they do a bunch of community-oriented work. Plus, they stock a bunch of the latest bling and they have a nice hang out cafe in the store. You can't help but like a guy willing to make fun of himself, and "Juan Pelota" cafe made me snort my milk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a local shop here that isn't my LBS, but I like what they're doing. They are called Bike Religion, and they have at least one brick&mortar store in the area. But here on the university campus, they took over an abandoned parking lot kiosk, and turned it into a bike repair stand. Students and faculty who bike commute to work can have flats repaired, derailleurs adjusted, etc., while they're on campus, and pick the bikes up at the end of the day. They've also got tubes, some tools, and other small goodies for purchase, and an air compressor. At night, they pile it all back into the kiosk and go home. I think it is a cool idea, a good use of space, and makes life a little easier for the bike commuters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've got a pile of shops to throw a shout out too:

M.O.A.B. Bikes in Murfreesboro, TN. Always helped a newb out, and would cut a great deal when you needed it.

Gran Fondo in Nashville, TN. Definetly a PRO shop. VDB's worlds jersey on the wall is just the beginning. Always give great advice and know their products. They took the time to fit my brother correctly, even though he was just starting out. They figured out very quickly that he has super-long legs, and needed a larger bike than someone with average legs (obviously). That might not sound like much, but I've had too many friends that walk into a shop to test ride, and no advice is given, they just ask for your credit card and your licence and hand you something to ride. No input at all.

Iron City Bikes in Pittsburgh, PA. Not much in stock, but they'll help you out any way they can. If you have someone that thinking about getting into riding in PGH, I'd definitely send them here.

Conte's in Arlington, VA. Nice guys (and gals) lots of super high end stuff, and can answer any question you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shama Cycles is a newer shop here in Houston. Philip takes care of his customers and can get you anything you desire with a smile. He carries stuff that you will not see in any other shop here (custom bikes, bont shoes etc) Hanging out is expected, fridge always full of drinks, coffee bar and the best is CUPCAKE Friday.

Shout out to Lonestar Cycles for helping me in a pinch (broken spokes, tighten something). Josh has helped me more times than I can count and carries some really cool stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krthornton View Post
    There is a local shop here that isn't my LBS, but I like what they're doing. They are called Bike Religion, and they have at least one brick&mortar store in the area. But here on the university campus, they took over an abandoned parking lot kiosk, and turned it into a bike repair stand. Students and faculty who bike commute to work can have flats repaired, derailleurs adjusted, etc., while they're on campus, and pick the bikes up at the end of the day. They've also got tubes, some tools, and other small goodies for purchase, and an air compressor. At night, they pile it all back into the kiosk and go home. I think it is a cool idea, a good use of space, and makes life a little easier for the bike commuters.
    I've been to thier brick and mortar, very nice guys and they have a really great road and cross team as well...
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    My favorite shop and I go way back. I've changed more than they have, but they've treated me well since way before I was even a newbie.

1995-96: I bought a cheap rigid Fisher mtbk from them. They let me test ride one $300 bike after another until I was satisfied.

1998: When the gray Marlin disappeared from my back porch shed, I went right back and bought a rust-red Tassajara. Harold, the owner, recognized me even though I probably hadn't been in since I bought that last bike. That made an impression.

2001: For some bizarre reason I decide I want a mountain bike. More obsessive test rides follow before I settle on a vivid orange/yellow Klein Adept. The store manager gives me a strange look when I asked for the shock pump that was, according to the catalog, supposed to come with the bike. He gave me one. (I still use that pump.)

2002-03: Now I want a road bike. I start cruising Internet message boards and wandering in & out of all sorts of Boston-area shops. That same manager tries to convince me that some boring-looking frame made by some guy in the mountains of Italy is what I want. I smile and listen politely, and go buy a used Seven from eBay.

2004-05: I'm riding more & more and learning all sorts of interesting bike shit on the Internet. It dawns on me that one of the guys whose posts makes the most sense is here in Boston. And then I figure out that it's that same geek in the shop. Despite this, I go buy a Serotta from another shop, one with tons of trendy high-end bikes on the floor. The guy is really nice to me anyways.

2006-07: The dude contacts me and offers me a screaming deal on one of those frames from the Italian guy. I tell him all the reasons I can't buy it and he helps me resolve them. I buy the frame. Nine months later the shop builds it for me. I love it. I’m done with other shops.

Now: Three weeks ago in Richmond I drop the shop manager’s name to the Italian builder so he’ll take the time to fit me for a custom frame. Two weeks ago I go to the shop to see the first Pegoretti with the Venessian paint scheme, and to put down a deposit - for more than I paid for that first stupid Fisher - for my Responsorium.

If I buy anything from an LBS, it’s from here. I make my friends go to this shop. I tell them there is no reason to go anywhere else. We are lucky to have a shop this good, and a manager this knowledgeable and smart, in our city.

International Bike Center and Craig Gaulzetti rule.

That's a lot of bikes Davids. I only bought two bikes from International.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's why I love my shop, Reycled Cycles. Not much attitude, unless you want it. They service all types - local polo players to high flyin' national level track types, kids, and commuters. They are not afraid to send you somewhere for better expertise (for shock rebuilds, for example). They carry a lot of used stuff (which is a requirement for my regular patronage). They heavily support local racing other non-racing events - alley cats, trail advocacy, etc. And perhaps most importantly, the shop employees stick around a long time, because they pay a semi-living wage, provide health insurance, and as good a working environment as retailer can.

http://www.recycledcycles.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piney Flats Bike and Fitness in scenic Piney Flats, Tennessee. Brian and Daniel are good guys who do good work, and who are always down to shoot the bull or talk smack or whatever. No attitude other than a love for bikes and riding. When I went in last weekend looking for some 5-bolt MTB chainrings for a two-decade-old beater, they acted as interested in my stupid PITA nostalgia project as they would have if I'd asked about an SR11 Dogma. And they take the business - if not themselves - seriously. They're always trying to learn something new, whether it's fit or coaching or product. It's a positive joy to go there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High Gear Cyclery in Stirling, NJ

Belmont Wheelworks in Belmont, MA

Central Wheel in West Hartford, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Healthy Habits great mechanics, the owner races, supports the local racing team, sponsors some Cyclocross races and is my friend. All around good folks that also have a fridge in back with some tasty malt beverages. I like to take lunch over once in awhile on Sat when they get jammed up.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City Cycle here in SF has treated me great. I popped for a minor bit of adjustment that I just couldn't get right on my front triple, but they have consistently exceeded my expectations in their service.
    Lynskey R210 Ultegra | Miyata 1000

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tacoma Bike - Tacoma, WA.
    Mike Brown is the gosh-darn man. So is Tony Corke.
    And so are the other cats in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll plug the shop sponsors for our race teams ("our" being the wife and I):

Pure Energy Cycling + Java house in Lambertville NJ Stop in and have a coffee, cookie and if you hang out late enough, a beer or three. Team ride is Sunday at 10am if anyone is in town visiting.

Brielle Cyclery in Brielle NJ (large women's team) Many high end stock bikes, good tri / TT gear selection and some guys that have been turning wrenches a long time.

Drew probably won't plug it, but Wissahickon Cyclery in NW Philly has a nice vibe. The cool stuff is in the way back...

--Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My LBS is Freeze Thaw Cycles in State College, PA. I'm not sure it would make anyone happy if they are looking for high-end bling, but for solid customer service and wrenching I don't think you are going to find a better shop. And if you're looking for old parts, they probably have it because they started out recycling bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please wiki this for future travel planning.

Thanks much.

I thought I was alone. Usually it's bitch and moan. Good to hear the props for those doing it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll let the thread run a bit longer here before moving it

thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    i'll let the thread run a bit longer here before moving it

thx
    No problem. I meant to let it run its' course.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast