Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LBS appreciation thread - say something good about your LBS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: LBS appreciation thread - say something good about your LBS

Blue Sky Bicycles in Saratoga. If it's not worth me doing the work or I need to know it is done right the first time, the bikes go there. They have the deal figured out - you can have a lot of pretty shiny stuff on the floor but the best chance for success is to have the best mechanics around.

At the other end of the market spectrum is Plaine and Sons in the Dorptown. I have no experience with their work but I do know that Heather Rizzi puts a ton of energy into the local riding scene putting on mountain bike rides and races all the time. Schenectady isn't exactly a privileged town and their market can't be an easy go. Several times a year her idea of fun is to enlist her husband and a couple of friends and host century rides, babysitting a whole bunch of the locals up and around the back roads out of town here. They work we ride and from what I hear the post ride parties are a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shout out for AllisBike, so happy I found a small shop that can do everything I need.
    They listen and they really try to work with thier customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just popping in to say thank you to everybody posting, particularly the folks posting some of my professional friends. Many of us try very hard to do good work and be courteous to our customers only to be lumped in with the bad apples. If you like your LBS tell them so and tell them why they're better than the others as that helps quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Innovation Bike is the LBS down the street (on Manhattan's Upper West Side). I've been going to them for light mechanical help the past few months (getting a stubborn pedal off, pressing in new headset races). They're always quick and friendly.

I also go to Sid's Bike. They usually have the random part or tool I need and are active on the local race scene. They've got a beautiful store and a helpful staff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gearworks in Leominster, MA has always been really good to me. Having accounts with all the big distributors I don't rely on them for very much, but when I need to ship out a bike and I'm missing a seat tube collar or something else to finish a build THAT DAY, they always come through. The service dept is always super clean and the guys/gals are always friendly. I recommend them to anyone local who asks.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HUGE shout out to Baltimore Bicycle Works, located on Falls Way in Baltimore, couple blocks from Penn Station. These guys totally hooked me up pre-NAHBS.

Also, Penny Troutner, owner of Light Street Cycles down in Federal Hill (South Baltimore). She was a major force in helping keep the trails at Loch Raven open to mtn. bikers due to her personal connections with Baltimore city officials.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a traditional LBS, I go to Cycle Center of Stamford (CT). Ken, Julie, Nate and Greg are all great to deal with and Nate is an excellent mechanic and fitter. Though not a traditional LBS, Signature Cycles in Greenwich is first class. Paul, Lori and Soren are all awesome and, as a mechanic, Soren is meticulous. Count me as another big fan of Bicycle Depot in New Paltz — I go there whenever I'm in the area. On the Internet, CC is always great to deal with and Svelte has become my wheel connection...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WE Stedman in Wakefield, RI. It is a neighborhood shop that has been there literally 100 years.

Great service and prices but even better friends. Christmas eve all the regulars stop in to visit before going off to see family. I think that says a lot about these guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being Portland, we've got lots of great shops...

- CyclePath was previously mentioned, good dudes.

- River City, great group. These guys have free espresso drinks (cappuccino please) on weekends. This makes for a great flattish 25 mile from my house destination for me with a great pit stop.

- Bike Gallery, independent local chain, I've got a great relationship with one of the mgrs.

- Performance Bike, WHAT, that's right. Even though I may not buy their bikes, I once did (my Aluxxx Giant, still love it). No offense to the other shops, but the wrenches here are simply the best. One guy is probably retired from something and just loves bikes, he also builds. I think he lurks here, Hey Neil! The other mechanic is a walking encyclopedia. The sales guys come and go, but they have always been cool too.
    Last edited by lavi; 03-16-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Cycle Center in Stamford, CT. They always seem to stock what I'm looking for.This may seem unremarkable, but so many other shops never seem to stock shit. "we can order it for ya, it'll be here next week" doesn't go far with me. I can order it too, happyass. Also, the manager at Cycle Center, Nate, is a nice guy and very helpful whether you're buying a frameset or a bottlecage. The folks at Signature Cycles in Greenwich are also very nice. While the whole 'studio' thing isn't everyone's cup 'o tea (and does lack all feel of an LBS), Lori and Soren couldn't be more helpful. Soren is a very good mechanic and willing to take my calls and dole out free wrenching advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
    I appreciate Matthews Bicycles in Indianapolis. Honest, fair and knowledgeable. I wish that all businesses that I deal with were as good.
    I got my first road bike (Trek 1400) from them back in the early 90's... Good to hear they're still around!
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soren and Anthony at Signature (Greenwich and NYC, respectively). Hugely capable wrenches, hugely nice guys.

Mark Purdy at ifixbyx.com (also here in NYC)--he's been my go-to guy lately, mainly because of his pick-up & drop-off service as well as impeccable work. If you're in NYC, getting to a shop during biz hours can be a logistical nightmare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 3 I really like in SoCal...

The first is California Bikes in La Jolla- this is a father/son team that has been around for a LOT of years and they do great wrenching and seem to really take care of their customers (especially the military). This is where I'm getting my new Litespeed from...

The second is Cal Coast Bikes up in University Heights here in San Diego- These guys pretty much only sell Giant with some Masi/Surly/Ibis thrown in, but they are guys who really love to ride bikes and are always up for some good advice or just a good BS session...

The other shop I've really come to like is Banning's Bikes up in Fullerton (Orange Co.)- I don't get here much since I live in San Diego, but this is just a really cool shop owned by a former/current racer that deals in mostly high end stuff but are still really down to earth and, from what I hear, have a great shop ride. They are also the main sponsor for a road and cross team...
    Life is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a big fan of B+L Bikes in Solana Beach, CA. Cool group of guys, with alot of knowledge ranging from custom frames to track bike fit between them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrk View Post
    the mendon cyclesmith. mendon, new york. (that's greater rochester)
    one man shop. there's nothing i wouldn't trust with craig smith. and i've got the sort of stuff that very few shops have ever seen, let alone really understand. does your shop know how a cyclo 4 speed works or a campagnolo paris-roubaix? every possible mtn bike bit, ever. it doesn't matter what you're looking at, this guy gets it. but even better than his pro skills that cover everything from waaay before super record to new super record is his love of all bikes: craig wants people simply to enjoy riding, no matter what kind of bike or how they ride. hudson and jack, his two dogs, offer large love too. i just never go in shops that look like stores anymore. this one looks like a really busy, really competent guy works there. like i said, pretty much by himself.
    I want to back this up completely. Craig runs a pretty special little shop out there. I grew up in Mendon, and my folks still live there. I discovered Craig's shop maybe five or six years ago when I was back visiting. Now, I drop in whenever I'm in town, just for conversation and always to make some small purchase just for the sake of supporting him.

Great guy, great shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fourflys View Post
    I have 3 I really like in SoCal...

The first is California Bikes in La Jolla- this is a father/son team that has been around for a LOT of years and they do great wrenching and seem to really take care of their customers (especially the military). This is where I'm getting my new Litespeed from...

The second is Cal Coast Bikes up in University Heights here in San Diego- These guys pretty much only sell Giant with some Masi/Surly/Ibis thrown in, but they are guys who really love to ride bikes and are always up for some good advice or just a good BS session...

The other shop I've really come to like is Banning's Bikes up in Fullerton (Orange Co.)- I don't get here much since I live in San Diego, but this is just a really cool shop owned by a former/current racer that deals in mostly high end stuff but are still really down to earth and, from what I hear, have a great shop ride. They are also the main sponsor for a road and cross team...
    3500 miles away is hardly local, but I periodically visit the San diego area....I agree 100% that California Bicycle is a great shop....
    I have had good rental experiences with B&L in Solana Beach....

And Pista Palace is a great place as well....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep this up

enough strong references and this will become the VSalon LBS Wiki

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not local to me, 40 minute drive...but the only guys I'll let touch my bike is Cronometro in Madison, WI. Andy is the bees knees of mechanics. Truly good guy. One of their employees lives in the same town as me and will pick up my bike for service and drop it off at the end of the day. F'n awesome...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be racing if not for my LBS. It is a very small shop with very little to no inventory of stuff I use but like all of the they have QBP. When I moved on to a bigger team it's great except the sponsor shop is 1.5 hrs away. My LBS doesn't care that I am racing for someone else, they still give me stuff at cost, free labor. There are truly some great shop owners out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrk View Post
    the mendon cyclesmith. mendon, new york. (that's greater rochester)
    one man shop. there's nothing i wouldn't trust with craig smith. and i've got the sort of stuff that very few shops have ever seen, let alone really understand. does your shop know how a cyclo 4 speed works or a campagnolo paris-roubaix? every possible mtn bike bit, ever. it doesn't matter what you're looking at, this guy gets it. but even better than his pro skills that cover everything from waaay before super record to new super record is his love of all bikes: craig wants people simply to enjoy riding, no matter what kind of bike or how they ride. hudson and jack, his two dogs, offer large love too. i just never go in shops that look like stores anymore. this one looks like a really busy, really competent guy works there. like i said, pretty much by himself.
    The only LBS I trust and use. There is no nicer preson than Craig. He undercharges for his great skills and service.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast