Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I make knives too

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    TT, you need something out of 1095.
    Done.

Pat? Talk to me man. What do you need? I do almost everything with a 10" chefs with exception of heavy bone splitting for that I'll save the Henckle or my cleaver. My go to sharpening tools in the kitchen include a steel (yeah yeah I know it's edge maintenence not sharpening) and a diamond rod. When I need to fix a nick or make it pretty I use Arkansas stones.
    Go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still puzzled by the large-scale agreement with edge maintenance using a steel: unless the steel is mirror polished, which most are not, I can only imaging the steel distressing or roughing up the edge rather than smoothing it. For a dull knife, a serrated or rough steel seems like it might rough up enough edge to give the blade some tooth and tearing ability, but for a real edge that's bent over and needs to be brought back into line (early stage dullness), I can't see it being a great idea. I like a mirror'd steel, and that seems to work pretty well a few times. It's used with a very light touch--almost no pressure. If the edge needs more than that, it's time to sharpen on a stone or strop depending on the edge you want.

I can get a knife done by early- to mid-january these days. We can work out the fine print.

...and, after much pondering, I'm guessing the knife you met was Steve W's, right? That was a good one...got some coaching in trade. These days, all I need is someone to tell me to go ride, at all, any distance, for any reason. There's not a glimmer of a race on my horizon--and many pounds and hours of training stand between me and the back of a cat 4 field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I'll contact you offline.

Regarding edge maintenance using a steel with high carbon knives. I officially know nothing however I'm old and in the way. We both know what that means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pm sent
    no

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12