Thread: Not done yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    I've been building this for a while.

Based on a schematic I found from the 50s that GEC published but I don't think ever made. It's a push pull design using KT88 valves that should make about 30 watts.

I added a choke input regulated power supply of my own design

Which should produce around 410v with 130mA of ripple for a 180mA draw (ie quiet enough).

I had the transformers custom wound for the application by a British firm and badly knocked together the chassis.

This is roughly how it looks now although everything other than the HT wiring is now complete.

I'll get on with finishing it at some stage and it's twin for Stereo operation.
    That is badass - nicely done!

KT88's can pack a wallop for sure.

conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    What is it with you Brits and 30 watts?....I sold my Vox AC30 about 2 years ago...there is something about a tube amp...(or valves)
    The AC 30 is much more than 30 watts. Me and tons of people I know would have one for sure if it really was. It is just to loud for me. Doesn't break up early enough and I hate distortion pedals most of the time. The AC 15 is too quiet and breaks up too early for most stages. Good for small rooms/stages. They need to make an AC 22.5 :)

A Danelectro 6 string bass or baritone guitar sounds killer through an AC30 by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelinpol View Post
    A Danelectro 6 string bass or baritone guitar sounds killer through an AC30 by the way.
    my buddy plays a jerry jones through his AC30....sounds great, but he recently got a PRS Starla and it sounds excellent (i'm employed by prs...full disclosure)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha. yeah. i like bonnie prince billy.

i have a grado sonata statement cartridge i got for super cheap with broken cantilever. sent to soundsmith. now it has their midlevel retip.
    gotta build a stepup tranny before i can listen though. probably do cinemag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Not done yet

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheEllipse View Post
    I spend at last a half hour every day right now researching a tube amp purchase for my klipsch speakers. Jealous!
    Still in budget mode so getting by with a Golden Tube SE-40 for my K-horns. You can use a 40w amp when the speakers get 105db+/w/m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Not done yet

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    Still in budget mode so getting by with a Golden Tube SE-40 for my K-horns. You can use a 40w amp when the speakers get 105db+/w/m
    105dbw and you can use < 1w

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12