User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What's He building in there?? Completed projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's He building in there?? Completed projects.

a couple "side" projects - custom helicopter flight pedals for a guy 6' 7" with size 14 feet & my custom Nordic Sit-ski V 2.0. i learned allot about bending 90*'s with thin wall......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you bend these angles?

I read about a trumpet maker a long time ago - they bend the tubes by filling them with lead, letting it solidify--> bend and then melt the lead out.

Great gallery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post

I read about a trumpet maker a long time ago - they bend the tubes by filling them with lead, letting it solidify--> bend and then melt the lead out.

Great gallery.
    They have some great videos of that on YouTube. There's an easier method, too: fill the pipe with dish detergent and freeze it before bending. Pretty cool to watch.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    They have some great videos of that on YouTube. There's an easier method, too: fill the pipe with dish detergent and freeze it before bending. Pretty cool to watch.

Eric
    Of course ... sand. Duh!

the liquid detergent is smart!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bent cold, no filler or lube - the secret is to encapsulate the tube as much as possible, fully if you can. this is true for all my bending in shop. we started with commertial benders, broke those, used the broken parts to build new ones......most of the bends are .035", the "legs" are .049 & the straights are .028". 1/2" & 5/8". removable "bindings" and softgoods all Ho-Made too.......
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slabroller for a potter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an Austrian, I appreciate the Fischer skis :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do construction projects count for this type of thread? This is my wife's store. If so, cool (and if not--mods feel free to delete this).

After this project (30 days nonstop work into the wee hours almost every day) I learned a valuable lesson: numb hands really do hurt (contrary to the term "numb"), and if at all possible, hire a contractor....

Partial demo of interior (I love the feel of a 15lb. sledgehammer in the morning)....

Framing of display units. Four 12-inch lag bolts into concrete wall hold these suckers in good. Fun tool purchase to make the framing part quicker: Pasload cordless gas cartridge-powered nail gun. Fun! Drilling holes for the lag bolts, I burned through a cheapo Ryobi impact drill, then went & bought the right one: Old Milwaulkee...ahhhh goes thru concrete like a hot knife thru butter...

Drywall applied, sanded, prepped, etc...

Finally, the bare shell of the store. Note the glass shelves--I had 'em custom cut at an auto supply store in Jersey. It's safety laminate glass--if it breaks, it won't shatter (there's a thin vinyl layer embedded between the panes of glass). Do you know what it's like using a belt sander to hand-polish and sand the edges of hundreds of feet of laminate safety glass? Lemme tell ya, it sucks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great gallery.
    Sand, non-toxic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Motorcycle bits

Tasty carbon gas tank for a nearly 20 year old motorcycle. Pain full to lay up but satisfying to see completed. The molds belong to a friend of mine, all the work is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool moto tank! That looks terrific.

Did you bake it, or whatever it is that you do with carbon in a mold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wet lay up

This tank was done by wet lay up (no baking, just catalysed reaction - the inside is coated to prevent gasoline from attacking the epoxy). The mold is just fiber glass with a VERY good finish on it (female mold - top half, male mold - bottom half). The first step is to prep the mold surface with wax and a mold release, then coat with a thin layer of epoxy. The key to this fist layer is to keep the mold moving so that the epoxy does not pool too much. Once the epoxy becomes tacky; enough that a thumb print will just show it is time to lay in the first layer of carbon cloth. That first layer needs to be handled with extreme care - that will be what everyone sees. Once that first carbon layer is in then it is time to put in the next layer of epoxy. That layer is wet and runny, the carbon is immediately laid in and a stiff short bristled brush used to "draw" the epoxy through the cloth. Every layer after can just be laid in and for the most the brush can be used to "draw" the epoxy through. If you have a vaccuum pump you can lay in your carbon and kevlar then bag your part, saving a good deal of time. The time consuming part is that first layer - if that is short cut then there is a good chance that the part will have pin holes and voids.