Thread: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I'm curious how it will ride with a new latex tube. Continental tires are not usually known for their fine ride quality but that will probably help. They're tough as nails usually though. I wish the Competition were available with latex tubes.

Anyway, I've only successfully repaired one tubular but I'm glad I did. I'd feel more confident the second time around and I bet I got another 1000 miles on that tire before it finally died a natural death at an advanced state of wear.
    Your're right on the ride quality of Sprinters, hopefully the latex will improve on the thick butyl they spec'd. I need to flat one of my other wheels before I find out if it's a improvement. IMO , no point in riding tubulars if you are mounting Sprinters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dirty secret. When I send sprinters to tire alert, I have him install latex tubes. The result is a pretty decent tire.
    I can't seem to get Sprinters out of my life. A while back someone gave me an armload and I've found 3 or 4 new ones on local roads AND I keep ripping them off customer wheels who don't want them yet they make killer spares. My life is a living he!! ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, contis make good spares - they're always a tighter fit than veloflex or Vittoria so give a bit more confidence when you're fitting them at the roadside without adding a coat of fresh glue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    My dirty secret. When I send sprinters to tire alert, I have him install latex tubes...yet they make killer spares.
    Exactly what I have done...the spare tubular you saw tucked under my saddle on the Sachs at NAHBS...a sprinter with a latex tube installed by Tire Alert.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the Competition were available with latex tubes.
    They are. Continental Competition Pro Limited.
    The 27mm version if my favorite tire of all times.
    My small stash is gone now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    They are. Continental Competition Pro Limited.
    The 27mm version if my favorite tire of all times.
    My small stash is gone now.
    This was discussed last spring around Paris-Roubaix time. From what I've heard they're generally not available to the public.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was discussed last spring around Paris-Roubaix time. From what I've heard they're generally not available to the public.
    Yep, I tried to get a special order for the salon, but could not make it work.
    Ran out of them myself...

But next time I talk to my buddy who hooked me up I will give it another shot.

Sometimes these pop up on e-bay as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Yeah, contis make good spares - they're always a tighter fit than veloflex or Vittoria so give a bit more confidence when you're fitting them at the roadside without adding a coat of fresh glue.
    I so agreee...had a team mate flat yesterday on a veloflex carbon, it had been mounted with tufo tape which came up with the tubular...aughhh no glue on the rim at all. Luckily the spare was a conti sprinter with just a hint of glue on the base tape...i was sooo glad it was a conti for exactly this reason...made it another 20miles with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First flat last night. Inspected the tire this morning and found this

I think I dragged a piece of quarry stone across the sidewall. As I got set to remove the tire, I noticed this

These are my first tubulars, FMB P-Rs. It looks to me like the tire is separating from the base. I have two questions/concerns:

1. It looks as if I will destroy the tire while removing it from the rim; it looks like it will shred away from the base
    2. Is the original injury repairable, assuming I get the tire off the rim without shredding it?

FWIW, I'm assuming that this tire is going in the trash but I'd like to learn from the experience. If the original injury is repairable, I'd pull the tire off and do a practice repair for the hell of it.

Not sure what is going on in the second picture. Too much glue in the wrong place? Or is it normal?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's dead for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    It's dead for sure
    Understood. But what's up with the second picture; what causes that separation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a pretty typical issue, you can add some glue in there to get it back together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel is right, the sidewall is not repairable.

The basetape separation is something a bunch of us have seen with FMBs. Nobody knows exactly why and considering how insanely well they ride and wear the fix is worth it. My process is pretty simple, just dab liquid latex on both surfaces and let them dry. After both are dry inflate lightly than wrap with blue painters tape and inflate enough to hold shape not enough to cause the tire to turn inside out and done.

IIRC someone here said that FMB fixed the problem??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veloflex have the same issue with basetape separation btw. I actually had no pb with FMB but I used far less FMB than I used veloflex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, gentlemen.

The tire is from the spring of this year, so if it's a known problem I guess it isn't exactly fixed. Tires are consumable, so I'm not crying about it, but I like to learn as I go and hope I didn't do anything to contribute to the separation. Bike is stored in a garage, hanging from a hook, and I never let the tires completely deflate even if I'm not riding it.

Oh well. Time to mount the back up, which I bet will generate more questions. The ride is definitely worth the fuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another, "What's wrong here?" question:

This is my Conti spare. A new tire that I pre-glued late last season. Squeezed air out of it, folded as per the other thread and stuffed into Arundel bag.

I took it out today to freshen up the glue and saw this bleb on the base tape when I put some air into it.

1) Safe to use?
    2) Consequence of folding it up?

Not having seen this before, my intuition tells me this is where the tire was folded and it either exposed a defect by being folded for several months or the adhesive stuck to itself (other side of the fold) and pulled away the base tape.

What say yee tubular experts?

How can I avoid this in the future ? (and please don't say switch to tubeless!)
    If nothing else, it illustrates the importance of checking the spare every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are all the tubular experts at Ballers? I need to know whether this is salvageable or trash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B...what does it look like when you put a decent amount of air into the tire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    B...what does it look like when you put a decent amount of air into the tire?
    That's with about 35 lbs in. It gets more "raised" with more air but doesnt really separate. Haven't inflated all the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Another, "What's wrong here?" question:

This is my Conti spare. A new tire that I pre-glued late last season. Squeezed air out of it, folded as per the other thread and stuffed into Arundel bag.

I took it out today to freshen up the glue and saw this bleb on the base tape when I put some air into it.

1) Safe to use?
    2) Consequence of folding it up?

Not having seen this before, my intuition tells me this is where the tire was folded and it either exposed a defect by being folded for several months or the adhesive stuck to itself (other side of the fold) and pulled away the base tape.

What say yee tubular experts?

How can I avoid this in the future ? (and please don't say switch to tubeless!)
    If nothing else, it illustrates the importance of checking the spare every now and then.
    Not an "expert", but that wouldn't worry me a bit on a tire to be used as a spare. ON ANOTHER MATTER, I also had a couple new Contis around to use as spares. I stretched the crap out of them on spare rims, applied a couple layers of glue and put them in my bike bag. One year later I had my first occasion to use one. It was a total nightmare to get it on, and even worse trying to get it off once I got home. I think they shrink somewhat after stretching if not used. They are TIGHT. One was so bad (had another flat later that month) that I had to cut the damn thing off. MY ADVICE: do not use a new conti as a spare, use a used tubular of whatever brand that has some miles on it. Feel free to ignore this advice, but you have been warned.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast