Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chemical Tungsten Sharpening

Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    A diamond wheel and a cordless drill is forever.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point taken. I still use a diamond wheel, but I guess my question was more out of a circus act curiosity perspective..."are you serious...does that really work?"
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    I've never heard of it or used it but seems like for the price it would be worth trying.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    I've never heard of it or used it but seems like for the price it would be worth trying.
    I have used it. It sucks. Nothing better than a diamond wheel on a bench grinder and a scotch brite wheel on the other side (IMO). I have friends that are blacksmiths and other more rough and tough guys that just use the belt sander. I can not get use to that crappy point.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    I have used it. It sucks. Nothing better than a diamond wheel on a bench grinder and a scotch brite wheel on the other side (IMO). I have friends that are blacksmiths and other more rough and tough guys that just use the belt sander. I can not get use to that crappy point.

-Drew
    I'm not that picky myself. I'm one of those guys that uses a belt sander. How did the point look when you used chemical sharpener? What type of tungsten do you use?
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Judging from the 1/4" of dust caked on top of the last jar at the local weld shop last night I don't think it a heavy mover. Seems like its solving a problem that doesn't exist.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    I'm not that picky myself. I'm one of those guys that uses a belt sander. How did the point look when you used chemical sharpener? What type of tungsten do you use?
    2% thoriated in 1/16". The chemical kind of ate the tungsten. I think it is more for people that use super fat tungsten. It is a pain in the ass also. The tungsten needs to be red and glowing when you dip it in the chemical. Like I said it sucks. The only advantage if I could see one is you can sharpen it when at the welding station. But that would only be if it did not suck.

I can get a OK point on the belt sander but I really notice a difference in that point after I buff it on the de-burring wheel. I also prefer a sharp point and not the slightly flattened head like Miller says you should use.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tungsten needs to be red and glowing when you dip it in the chemical.
    -Drew
    If that's the case I don't see any advantage.

Have you ever tried ceriated tungsten. I just bought a box and it seems to work really well. Great starts and good stabitliy if it's clean. Seems to get more "jump" when it's dirty though.
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using 1/16" ceriated tungsten on bikes for about 14 years now. Switched over from thoriated because I figured any time you can get away from radioactivity (even a slight bit) you might as well. It works great for all of the metals I weld, you've just gotta keep it clean... but that really goes without saying. I also sharpen to a super pointy tip (about 30 degrees or so). That chemical stuff sounds like a joke but I would try it once just for the experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, ceriated is the only way to go these days for steel/ti. I use a fine grit, side face, diamond wheel and sharpen at the outer rim with the drill motor 90-degrees to the wheel and feather the trigger to keep revs low. Keeps the grinding lines on the sharpened tip straight and parallel with the shank. I always blunt the end of the tungsten per code. The reason you blunt the end is because with a sharp point the tungsten tip will overheat as the point can't carry the amperage and you get tungsten contamination in the weld. Tungsten contamination = crack.

I quit using a convolute wheel to finish because I noticed it's too easy to get smearing and that causes flares & arc wander. I also use a thicker tungsten (3/32") than a lot of guys for the amps we run. 1/16" tungsten just runs too hot for me & my welding style & hot tungsten = tungsten contamination = cracks. The downside to 3/32 is that you'll get arc wander if you pussyfoot it & dilly-dally around.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fantastic! finally something i can unnerstand--no pussyfooting or dillydally-ing around. (goes back to three-phase notebook)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    IMHO,<snippers>The downside to 3/32 is that you'll get arc wander if you pussyfoot it & dilly-dally around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started out with a linisher belt, tried a diamond-stone wheel thinking it would be better but threw it away once everything nearby became coated in a layer of green grit. Went back to the linisher belt, an Aussie Multitool. It's a real beauty!
    http://www.ausmultitool.com/
    Ewen Gellie
    Melbourne Australia
    full-time framebuilder, Mechanical Engineer, (Bach. of Eng., University of Melbourne)
    [url]www.gelliecustombikeframes.com.au[/url]
    [URL="http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes"]http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e.Gellie View Post
    I started out with a linisher belt, tried a diamond-stone wheel thinking it would be better but threw it away once everything nearby became coated in a layer of green grit. Went back to the linisher belt, an Aussie Multitool. It's a real beauty!
    http://www.ausmultitool.com/
    I have one of those! Fantastic upgrade to a bench grinder. Are you using an actual stone, Ewen? The diamond wheels I use (of course I'm only on my second one in 10 years) are electroplated and have a steel backing. The only dust you should be getting is from the tungsten itself.

Here's a link to wheels similar to what I use: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Here's a pic:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you buy it before November 30, use promo code PERCNV to save 10%.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I use. No extra dust. Nice big area for grinding. I also have a pair of Felco C7's at the grinder for knocking off the tip if it is contaminated.

link for purchasing info:
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000116014530
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    .....Are you using an actual stone, Ewen? The diamond wheels I use (of course I'm only on my second one in 10 years) are electroplated and have a steel backing. The only dust you should be getting is from the tungsten itself......[/IMG]
    Here is what I use. No extra dust. Nice big area for grinding. I also have a pair of Felco C7's at the grinder for knocking off the tip if it is contaminated.
    thanks Archibald and Drew....I wasn't aware of those, they look the goods! .....
    Ewen Gellie
    Melbourne Australia
    full-time framebuilder, Mechanical Engineer, (Bach. of Eng., University of Melbourne)
    [url]www.gelliecustombikeframes.com.au[/url]
    [URL="http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes"]http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes[/URL]