User Tag List

Page 152 of 175 FirstFirst ... 142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 3484

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

This past weekend I ordered a Seiko Astron SBXD003 (that's the JDM number, SSJ003 is the worldwide number). Stainless steel w/a hardened coating, sapphire w/AR, ceramic bezel, quick adjust clasp, solar GPS movement, and a very wearable size, 39mm case, 46ish lug to lug, and 11mm thick. By far the 'cleanest' GPS watch on the market, and one of the smallest. Most are big, thick and have a bunch of sub dials.

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-...stron/ssj003j1

Pics borrowed from here :: https://www.neel.co.jp/view/item/000000010700

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    By far the 'cleanest' GPS watch on the market, and one of the smallest. Most are big, thick and have a bunch of sub dials.
    +1

The vast majority of them are chronometers, and aesthetically a total mess.

The one you chose is IMO definitely preferable.. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thing is pretty sweet. Satellite sync is amazingly fast, about four seconds.

Case - 39.0mm
    Lug-to-lug - 45.7mm
    Thickness - 11.3mm

Long write up over on WatchUSeek https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/3...eview.5354595/

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure if this counts as a timepiece or not, but I am going to start here because… I can.

I like mechanical stuff. I like watches with exhibition casebacks. What’s a good “house clock” along these lines? Like a mantel clock, or a wall clock. But, you know, more “mechanized.” Can’t say I’d be real into a grandfather clock… and can’t say I’ve done a whole lot of research… but wanted to throw it out there…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bulova, Hamilton, and Elgin made mechanisms for lovely mantel clocks and can be found out in the world still running strong and looking stately on a shelf.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These would look good on the mantel.

Set_of_dashboard_clocks.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I am not sure if this counts as a timepiece or not, but I am going to start here because… I can.

I like mechanical stuff. I like watches with exhibition casebacks. What’s a good “house clock” along these lines? Like a mantel clock, or a wall clock. But, you know, more “mechanized.” Can’t say I’d be real into a grandfather clock… and can’t say I’ve done a whole lot of research… but wanted to throw it out there…
    Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos if money is absolutely no object.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    If you buy a used one you can find a deal. I have a 'baby' Atmos (model 526-5).

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm digging this...seems like almost perfect tool watch

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...s/m25707b-0001

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    If you buy a used one you can find a deal. I have a 'baby' Atmos (model 526-5).
    Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    YOLO for sure…

Atmos is a neat concept. Seems there are used ones out there for less than $1k. A perpetual motion machine! Kinda…

Thanks all for the nudges!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My newest watch purchase is this Junghans designed by Max Bill of the Bauhaus.

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 4.32.09 PM.jpg

34mm wide, only 9mm thick. manual wind. This design was originally released in 1961. plexiglass crystal, same as the original but there is a $200 option to have a sapphire crystal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

When it comes to buying antique mantle clocks you need to see the clocks and find one or more, that speak to you, they all have a different personality so it has to match yours. Etsy is a good place to go for a very large selection of them.
    https://www.etsy.com/market/antique_mantle_clock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brothers from another mother…

[IMG]Untitled by W L, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally got a Casioak. I refused to pay the stupid premium they were going for last year. Plenty of stock now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a used Casio G-shock coming in via mail, one of these days.

That CasiOak looks cool as far as G-Shocks go but I was never a fan of the 'murdered out' color scheme so many people want on their bicycles. It is like all the fashion designers with all their colorful outfits but when they walk the catwalk they are always dressed in black as though they had no sense of fashion for themselves and wanted to disappear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    My newest watch purchase is this Junghans designed by Max Bill of the Bauhaus.

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 4.32.09 PM.jpg

34mm wide, only 9mm thick. manual wind. This design was originally released in 1961. plexiglass crystal, same as the original but there is a $200 option to have a sapphire crystal.
    These are excellent. I've looked at the Max Bill watches for a long time. If I'm not wrong, the hand-winding model was the original? They make several models now, including some in the $2000 range. And they have an official "Bauhaus" version with a self-winding mechanism. I think they all look good, but the simplest versions are the best.

Last edited by j44ke; 12-16-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still really digging the Astron. Looks great, super comfy.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty basic and decent watch. It gets the job done for me:
    81o3020+ONL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 bike budget got turned into a year-end watch splurge since I've been rather limited thanks to a bum hammy.

Couldn't pass up this Zenith Revival chrono with the "first" auto chrono movement around, the El Primero. 37mm and is a total treat to wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    ALL watches are marked up considerably, get with the program. I had a Tissot Seastar I got back in 1967, if failed in 2020 in such a fashion that Tissot said it was unrepairable, so they offered me a loyalty exchange program, I got a $600 or so Tissot PR100 Powermate 80 for only $230, do you think for one moment they took a beating on that watch? NO, at the very least they broke even, but I have a feeling they still came out ahead.

I actually saw just last year the cost to make a standard $7,000 Rolex Submariner to be only $690!!! and speaking to a watchmaker he agreed that specing out the parts and labor would be around $700 for him to make. And it gets even more lopsided on the profit scale for the gold Submariners! While the cost of the manufacturing is only $690 you then have to add in marketing, merchandising, and sales commission, once that is all calculated Rolex makes $2,100 on every standard $7,000 watch sold. ALL Rolex watches are NOT handmade, they have an assembly plant that robotic machines put the parts together, the only time a human hand touches it is to place the the hands and the hour markers onto the face and then install the movement into the case, they put the bands on the watch, and they hand polish the watches after the machine has polished them; of course one could argue that the machines are human operated, but the reality is they are not handmade watches. The gold by the way used on some of their watches are made at a foundry on the Rolex factory site, so they don't import the gold they actually make it right there.

So since Tissot is a less expensive brand than Rolex and cheaper to build cost, I have a pretty good idea that Tissot made around $150 on my exchange, I haven't see the cost factors but judging by the Rolex paper I saw I think I'm pretty close. But the other thing that helped Tissot in my deal is that they got my old Seastar and can cannibalize most of the parts out of it except for the rotor bearings that failed and be able to fix other watches of my vintage and charge them an arm and leg to repair it. So they probably gained another $500 in potential profit from repairing other watches with my watch.

But that is why Rolex is a very profitable company, between Rolex and Tudor they're valued at $8.8 billion dollars the last time I checked, it may be more now. If you ever price a replacement stainless steel band for the Rolex they're around $375...what stainless band on this earth is worth $375? It probably cost them $10 to make since those are not handmade.

Rolex puts out over a million watches a year, but because of the process involved it takes a year to build one watch and have it ready for sale. So there is a bit of some of the reasons why Rolex has such a high profit margin, because most of the watch is assembled by machine.
    nothing in a rolex is handmade, nothing. but the mouvements are mostly hand assembled.
    all numbers regarding rolex production are guesses, they do not comunicate.
    for rolex,watches are the small business on the side...their main business is real state.
    Angel Jauregui