User Tag List

Page 150 of 175 FirstFirst ... 140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3484

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

One could surmise that Rolex’s margin might be beyond 30% on the gold models, when you take into the price of gold, the actual weight of the gold in the watch, the price variance between the gold and the stainless models and the market demand. Also, I believe that Rolex is owned by a foundation, which is registered as a charity and pays no corporate income tax which certainly helps the margins. They must be doing something right as sales don’t seem to be sluggish.

In terms of offering a discounted replacement for the Tissot, good on them as not too many firms stay in business that long or recognize the need to help a customer. Take a 1967 Ford Galaxie (blown engine and transmission) back to your Ford dealer and see if they give you a Fusion at 60% off sticker.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've posted this before. Jason Musgrave's Seiko which he sold in support of the Fukishima Disaster relief fund.
    What I dig about this watch is first and foremost it is as tough as Jason Musgrave. I never take it off other than to work on electrics or to switch to my Omega.
    Jason had some tasteful work done which is lost on my foolish uneducated eyes HOWEVER the cool factor, to me, are the dual English and Kanji dates and the ridiculously accurate time.

This is the work Jason had done:
    Seiko 6306-7001
    Jack Alexyon at IWW did the work. This is the uber-rare and coveted Japan-only version. IWW did the custom work several years ago.
    Beadblasted case
    PVD Bezel
    Domed Sapphire
    Custom second hand

Thanks Jason, let me know if you ever want it back. Good luck, you'll have to trade me for something equally wonderful.
    I've become a big fan of the Seiko cushion case watches, my 'mini turtle' gets a ton of wrist time. I'll eventually swap the crystal for a sapphire piece, and get rid of the stupid cyclops (as demonstrated in the pic below, it's in the way more than it helps), but other than that I really, really dig this thing. 42mm case with a 43mm lug to lug means it's a reasonable size and fits my skinny wrist at the same time.

I'm also interested in the new 'land tortoise' models, more of a traditional turtle case (4:00 crown) but mini-turtle sized, and they're thin, under 12mm. Sapphire crystal, applied markers (not pressed from the back of the dial like most Seikos) and bi-directional non-clicking bezel. I'm not in love with any of the current colorways, but when they come out with one in a color I like I'll pick one up. I'm pretty sure the bezel insert can be swapped with any sloped SKX insert too, so you can get rid of the useless (to me) compass bezel and get a timing bezel instead.

Pic from Sakura - https://www.sakurawatches.com/seiko-...master-sbdy099
    Last edited by dgaddis; 07-20-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

v happy the conversation has moved away from the g shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I've become a big fan of the Seiko cushion case watches, my 'mini turtle' gets a ton of wrist time. I'll eventually swap the crystal for a sapphire piece, and get rid of the stupid cyclops (as demonstrated in the pic below, it's in the way more than it helps), but other than that I really, really dig this thing. 42mm case with a 43mm lug to lug means it's a reasonable size and fits my skinny wrist at the same time.

I've been eyeing up the Seiko mini-turtle watches for a long time. How big is your wrist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fmbp View Post
    I've been eyeing up the Seiko mini-turtle watches for a long time. How big is your wrist?
    ~6.75" wrist, and it fits GREAT.

So I caved...I've got an SRPG17 ordered and inbound. Turns out the bezel insert is the same size as the SKX *I think*, so if it is I'm gonna swap the insert for an all-black ceramic timing bezel insert.

Green mini turtle vs the new "gilded tortoise"
    Case - 42.3mm vs 42.4mm
    Lug to lug - 43.0mm vs 45.2mm
    Thickness - 12.8mm vs 11.7mm

That sub-12mm thickness is especially cool. Will report back whenever it shows up.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~6.75" wrist, and it fits GREAT.

So I caved...I've got an SRPG17 ordered and inbound. Turns out the bezel insert is the same size as the SKX *I think*, so if it is I'm gonna swap the insert for an all-black ceramic timing bezel insert.

Green mini turtle vs the new "gilded tortoise"
    Case - 42.3mm vs 42.4mm
    Lug to lug - 43.0mm vs 45.2mm
    Thickness - 12.8mm vs 11.7mm

That sub-12mm thickness is especially cool. Will report back whenever it shows up.

Nice! I also have a 6.75" wrist.

Hmm . . . now to broach the topic of a new watch with my wife. If I don't report back in a while, come looking for my buried body in my back yard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blaaaaah.......

Last edited by dashDustin; 08-04-2021 at 04:49 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insert snapped, think I'm missing some springs...not sure what else.

If I roll it naked, am I a little more like Marlon Brando?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The horror!
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, managed to get it back together.

- Case
    - 4 springs (I only found 3)
    - Spring at 2 has a metal piece with a nub sticking up…I believe that determines the one-way rotation. It’s easy to tell which way it goes…one side of the nub is ramped, allowing the bezel to rotate.
    - thin metal…shim? There’s a slot at 2 that aligns with the nub. This shows you that the nub can only be placed in 2 positions: correct or incorrect.
    - then you’ve got your clutch plate that sits on the underside of the bezel.
    - then you’ve got your bezel and bezel insert.
    - inside the bezel is a plastic-y white piece that serves as your friction fit piece between the case and bezel.

What I overlooked was how/ where the bezel was placed so that the hard catch was at 12. Mine’s off, at 11:58.

Regardless, it’s back together. Only my bezel insert is cracked and I’m missing a spring.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I can’t leave well enough alone….

I fixed the bezel so that the hard stop was properly aligned. Took some pictures along the way.

Here’s your hard stop on the clutch plate or whatever.

69B387D2-B554-4C42-A208-D6613674EDA2.jpg

Here’s the little nub piece that catches that hard stop and allows for the unidirectional bezel. You can see that mine is rather dirty.

EF5C51BC-60BA-4B14-B85E-0A52B2BD15DC.jpg

This thing is the alignment point for the bezel insert. This is where I went wrong initially. The clutch ring is keyed, so it’ll only fit in one position on the bottom of the bezel. Bezel insert is to be aligned with this pin.

E65928F1-FE4B-4AE8-B9F2-A7D225C91E47.jpg

And here is an example of the spring. Like 1/3 the size of a Mavic pawl spring. And equally as slippery.

E89CEDAA-07F5-4737-BA37-22102DB8248F.jpg
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey dustin - what happened that caused the bezel to pop off?

i think i would have rolled without it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was crossing the street when this little old lady stumbled. I dove to catch her eggs from crashing down.

Or…

I was making the bed and the cat thought my hand was a toy. Next thing I know, the cat’s got its claws on my arm. I yank my arm back, bad idea all around, and in the process, smack the hell out of the watch on my dresser edge. Not sure where or how, but bits went flying. I don’t even know how the insert would’ve popped out, as that thing was a pain in the ass to get in place, despite being cracked.

I kinda liked it without the bezel. The white ring that serves as the friction point is damaged, so I might end up taking it back off anyway, just so that I don’t lose more pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Hey dustin - what happened that caused the bezel to pop off?

i think i would have rolled without it for a while.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I was crossing the street when this little old lady stumbled. I dove to catch her eggs from crashing down.
    At least you saved the eggs.

Long live chivalry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent five days in FL on vacation. Wore the Tortoise on an Erika's strap the whole time, had the Native 5 Salt in my pocket as well the whole time. Had the G Shock in the bag just in case but never wore it. The little one wore it a few hours around the hotel room though haha.

The knife - it's great that LC200N doesn't rust regardless of what you do to it, but the edge retention definitely isn't anything to write home about. I'm spoiled by better steels for sure.

Back in the office today, so the flip flops are out and the Redwings are back. Wearing the Christopher Ward 'Sealander' today, really do like this watch a lot.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Native 5 Salt is great. I've got one for when I ride out in the Everglades. But for every day carry, even in Florida, there are so many better steels that won't rust unless you're really careless. My other Native 5 LW is the navy scaled S110V and other than the FRN scales not being fancy it's pretty perfect as tool.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree all around. Great ergos, light, solid lock, etc. I only carry mine when I'm gonna be in water, like a beach vacation, or out wading the local river to fish, etc.

If you haven't tried Vanax yet....do so. Rust proofness of LC200N with the edge retention on par with 20CV and the like. I've got a Quiet Carry Waypoint with Vanax and it's such a nice knife, if I could only have one, this would be it for sure. Fit and finish is absolutely top notch, it's light, the blade is thin (and hollow ground!), and it holds an edge. But for going to the beach or wading a river fishing I'd rather not risk losing a $300 knife haha.

Here's the waypoint getting some hard use action during a picnic with my toddler.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard good things about the Waypoint (and Drift). I haven't picked up anything in Vanax yet, though. I have way too many in the collection and enjoy trying different steels so it's just a matter of time. I'm also enjoying trying to put a patina on some non-stainless steels. It's actually harder than you'd think through regular use.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The little one wore it a few hours around the hotel room though haha.

Your picture of your daughter is the best picture out 150 pages of photos and counting!