User Tag List

Page 148 of 175 FirstFirst ... 138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Well this happened. Not sure if it fits the "everyday watch with blue dial" that I was looking for, but price was too good, and I really love the Pelagos...and it's blue. So BB Steel was swapped for it.

I read an article that listed a 4-watch collection:

Everyday
    Evening
    Weekend
    Splurge

Between the PO, Hamilton, and this Pelagos, pretty sure I've got 3/4 covered. "Evening" will be a toughie to figure out.
    I just got the plastic version haha. Going to swap out the clear bezel for a black one and the blue strap for a black combi bracelet. Maybe invert the digital display too....

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I just got the plastic version haha. Going to swap out the clear bezel for a black one and the blue strap for a black combi bracelet. Maybe invert the digital display too....

oh damn, i haven't seen this color yet. i like that a lot.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's the size of that case dustin?

that's definitely one of the more legible g's i've seen without too much clutter on the dial and a very good contrast hands/face. Not tough solar though, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not solar, no radio control or Bluetooth, so very simple module. I do hope they come out with a solar/radio controlled version. It's the 2nd thinnest G-Shock ever. Here's the dimensions I got off mine:

Case width :: 45.0mm
    Lug to lug :: 48.5mm
    Thickness :: 11.6mm

The case is a bit wider than a square, but it's thinner and the lug to lug is shorter.

The lug to lug measurement - the strap angles down almost immediately (see the side view photo on the GShock site here :: https://www.gshock.com/watches/limit...on/ga2100hc-2a ) so it wears well even on skinnier wrists like mine.

Looks like it's out of stock already. It just went 'live' on Friday. The green and orange version is still in stock, and it's one of the more legible variants as well. Has the same very plasticy feeling strap though.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/analo...al/ga2100hc-4a

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge improvement! Now just waiting on the bracelet to get here!

Definitely going to invert the digital display, it's really really terrible.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's looks a lot better. After seeing this, I'm contemplating picking up a black one. Couple or questions from someone who knows nothing about modding GShocks:

1.) How did you do this and where did you get the parts?
    2.) What do you mean by inverting the digital display?

Thanks.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    That's looks a lot better. After seeing this, I'm contemplating picking up a black one. Couple or questions from someone who knows nothing about modding GShocks:

1.) How did you do this and where did you get the parts?
    2.) What do you mean by inverting the digital display?

Thanks.
    usually the invert is going to light background with dark digits on the digital bits. Vs what is shown - dark background/light digits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing the bezel and strap swap is really easy, a little screw driver is all you need to take the bezel off, the strap has QR spring bars. Easy peasy. The display is a bitch and requires working with itsy bitsy teeny tiny parts that are easy to lose without even knowing you had them in the first place.

PacParts has some of the parts (the bezel was like $7), they also have straps. The combi bracelet tho I got from TikTox, based in the UK, it's the same bracelet used on the GW-B5600 watches, and it cost as much as the watch. Basically any strap that'll fit one of the thousands of Square G Shocks will also fit these GA-2100's, if you just want a plain black strap get the strap from the GW-5000 - it's a higher quality more supple and MUCH more comfortable resin than what is used on almost all other G Shocks. TikTox has those too. Don't forget to get a set of 16mm spring bars too.

Inverting the display means switching it from dark background/light colors to light background/dark colors. It's a PITA and involves opening up the module and changing the polarizing filter on the LCD. I did it to a GW-B5600 once before. The easy way is to change the filter on the front side of the LCD, but if you do that the display will black out when looked at with polarized sunglasses on. To prevent the blackout you have to change the filter on the back side of the LCD. It's a PITA getting into the modules, the backlight LED's are SHOCKINGLY tiny as are the springs used as connectors for them, they are super super easy to lose if you're not careful...I said I'd never do it again, but....it looks like I will haha. At least this time I have a better idea of what I'm getting into.

Pics from the first display invert I did. See the tiny tiny tiny springs? They're 1.1mm long and 0.7mm diameter.

And those little silver dots are the LEDs themselves.

Before.

After

Last edited by dgaddis; 06-03-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh damn, i haven't seen this color yet. i like that a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    what's the size of that case dustin?

that's definitely one of the more legible g's i've seen without too much clutter on the dial and a very good contrast hands/face. Not tough solar though, right?
    Huge improvement! Now just waiting on the bracelet to get here!

Definitely going to invert the digital display, it's really really terrible.
    Anybody try the CasiOak (aka Casio AP Royal Oak Offshore Homage) Gen3 mod yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Anybody try the CasiOak (aka Casio AP Royal Oak Offshore Homage) Gen3 mod yet?

Yup......

The case off Amazon is surprisingly well made. Hold for picture.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 06-04-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t imagine what an AP bracelet looks like in person. The way this one catches the sun is nuts. I dig it. I would dig it more if the indices were white.

AFDD116F-3938-4434-878B-902300A48537.jpeg

D00F762F-1CE9-4032-96C7-A4428A56EACF.jpeg

ECEDE02B-2AA8-47C5-83EC-AC2C1F3199D2.jpeg
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t imagine what an AP bracelet looks like in person. The way this one catches the sun is nuts. I dig it. I would dig it more if the indices were white.
    Wrist shot(s) please. I have heard it does not work well on small or larger wrists but I might be fine with my 7.25 wrist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really slick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I've heard, the lug-to-lug is really long, on some versions at least. I also don't like how the bracelet doesn't give you anything in the way of fine adjustment.

It does look cool though. Does it pull arm hair?

Wore mine Friday with the blue strap. Looks great, but the strap isn't comfortable, it feels so plasticy.

My Citizen is still my favorite piece though. Wore it all weekend visiting family and doing a pistol shooting class which was really fun. I've only shot handguns once before so it was a great learning experience. **** I gotta lose some weight!

Last edited by dgaddis; 06-07-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFDD116F-3938-4434-878B-902300A48537.jpeg

D00F762F-1CE9-4032-96C7-A4428A56EACF.jpeg

ECEDE02B-2AA8-47C5-83EC-AC2C1F3199D2.jpeg
    that looks pretty good...here's a real one for comparison...titanium after 16 years of abuse

[IMG]2021-06-08_10-05-18 by W L, on Flickr[/IMG]

obviously matte finish, but the way it catches the light because of all the different surfaces is pretty nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did it. Love it. Keeping it.
    IMG_9441.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked this up, sorta running, a while back. Finally sent it off for service this year, and I think I like it. The bracelet is not the best, so may go and replace it with one from Uncle Seiko. Yeah, it's as big as it looks on my smallish wrists...

IMG_9986_s.jpg
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Seiko Prospex watch that I wear everyday for my knockaround watch, it came with a rubber strap that I didn't like, it was hot and uncomfortable, so I swapped it out for a green one of these: https://www.geckota.com/phalanx-nato...ry-watch-strap As you can see they also have it in blue as you can see. This band is very comfortable and cooler to wear than a plastic, leather, rubber, or stainless steel band, it's also very durable, this particular brand is the best one made and they use a bit thicker nylon material vs other makers, and if by chance you break a strap pin the watch won't come off. About once a month in the hot season I wash it by first pouring some Biz stain remover into a cap then place the strap rolled up into the cap, wait about an hour, then put the strap into the wash with my cycling stuff, pour the Biz that was in the cap into the tub along with some detergent, wash on handwash cycle, and when it's all done it's nice a clean. I've had my band now for 5 years and there is no evidence of wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!
    New? Used? Grey Market?

Quote Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
    Did it. Love it. Keeping it.
    IMG_9441.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got it from Watchfinder & Co. which definitely qualifies as used/grey market. Mine is a 2008 edition, and was the cheapest GMT that they had at the time. I was looking for the all black GMT for its slightly more understated look. So far I'm loving it. I had thought of going the Rolex Forum or EBay route but it seemed more risky. Watchfinder & Co. had this one very competitively priced, and comes with a 2 year warranty which is nice, but I don't anticipate needing it (fingers crossed). The all black GMTs were discontinued in 2018, and the general feeling is that their value will rise over the years. That's a nice consideration, but I plan to make this my daily watch and use it like it was intended.