Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Timepieces

Ready for next watch. I figure fine watches go hand-in-hand with fine bicycles...sooo...guide me, fellows.

Requirements:
    sapphire crystal
    durable

Want:
    Day/Date
    good visibility in the dark

I've been swapping between a Swiss Army watch that's about 4yrs old and an Oakley Minute Machine that I won.

The glass on the Swiss Army gets scratched too easily, and the Oakley watch is a little over-the-top for work and events, but the crystal is superb.

I keep going to back to the B and M series Lum-Tecs and a couple of the Christopher Ward pieces. I'd love to sport something that's pure class, but need something that is practical day-in, day-out - from the shop to a nice dinner.

Any recommendations?

RGM would be badass, but about 3x what I'm willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stowa?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Submariner Date. Job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Stowa

Or a Sinn. I like my 856.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Sinn. For me, it's a 656.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Or a Sinn. I like my 856.
    Victoria ???

]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seamaster is a way better deal than a submariner. huge fan of omega. btw, all nicer watches aside from the speedmaster moon watch will use a sapphire crystal. you won't have to worry about scratches. what is your budget and do you just want a simple quartz? hamilton makes nice watches. only problem with sinn is that you can't try it on at a store .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

So I went shopping with mi madre this past weekend. She knows that I am fascinated with watches, so I took her to Tourneau to show her some things...and because I want to start looking for some 24hr dial watches. Anywho, a Hamilton Aviation QNE catches my eye. I love my Hamilton Field Officer, so I asked how much it was and was told:

"$875........

......but it's 40% off......

.....and on top of that, we're having a Hamilton sale, so it's an additional 25% off."

Wow! First thing to come to mind is "WTF kind of margin is set on these?"

Then my mom asks if I want it. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. So, I got my b-day present early.

What I really dig is the phonetic alphabet on the back of the case. This watch is badass. Similar enough to not freak me out when I look down, but different enough to make me smile. Now to find a different strap for the Field Officer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oris " Dizzy Gilespie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Chase-Durer has been on my wrist the last several years. I am typically tough on equipment and my stuff gets a lot of exposure to chlorine and saltwater. I consider this time piece bomb-proof.
    I am not who I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a line on US-made NATO style straps?

I'm not a watch guy by any stretch and usually roll with an Ironman with a rubber band where the excess strap loop used to be. Very pro, I know. But in looking around for something I can ride to work in that also works with a suit, I ended up with one of these Nixons. I don't know if it's my Catholic school upbringing or the memories of taking the train to Penn Station everyday for 2 years, but I'm a big fan of institutional looking white clock faces. We have a few in our house and now one on my wrist.

Howevah, the band ain't going to cut it and I'm going to buy a replacement or two, NATO-style, like Musgrave's above. Most of the webfronts are Asia based, so if anyone has a line on an American made nylon strap company, I'd welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Anyone have a line on US-made NATO style straps?

I'm not a watch guy by any stretch and usually roll with an Ironman with a rubber band where the excess strap loop used to be. Very pro, I know. But in looking around for something I can ride to work in that also works with a suit, I ended up with one of these Nixons. I don't know if it's my Catholic school upbringing or the memories of taking the train to Penn Station everyday for 2 years, but I'm a big fan of institutional looking white clock faces. We have a few in our house and now one on my wrist.

Howevah, the band ain't going to cut it and I'm going to buy a replacement or two, NATO-style, like Musgrave's above. Most of the webfronts are Asia based, so if anyone has a line on an American made nylon strap company, I'd welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Have you tried here- http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm
    I know several people on some of the watch forums that have been very happy with them.

I'm also really liking Halios watches- they appear to be an excellent value. The first model that was made was the Holotype which was limited to 300 units total production and they sold for something like $300.00 each. Pretty sure every model since then has sold out really fast. http://halioswatches.com

This is the Bluering- pretty classy piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that Hamilton Dustin....congrats on your B-Day present.

Also, I read this thread quickly and so apologize if I missed something...but 5 pages and I didn't see a single mention of Jaeger-LeCoultre? Best watches out there. Still mfg their own movements in-house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moran View Post
    I like that Hamilton Dustin....congrats on your B-Day present.

Also, I read this thread quickly and so apologize if I missed something...but 5 pages and I didn't see a single mention of Jaeger-LeCoultre? Best watches out there. Still mfg their own movements in-house.
    I would say that JLC is one of the best watches out there. I've wanted a Master Compressor for my next watch for quite some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My titanium wedding band from one-off titanium (before cheap Ti bands became available and popular) and a watch are the only "bling" I ever wear.

I have a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic; it replaced a Khaki Quartz which started losing several minutes per day, and it would have cost more to fix than the watch was worth. I really like the Khaki King, but I bought it lightly used and it needs a service because it, too, was losing time on a daily basis. Not needing another thing to think about, and just wanting a basic, reliable , good-looking watch, I ended up buying a Citizen Eco-Drive and putting a different strap on it. I'm happy.

I follow this watch thread on another forum that I frequent.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pruckelshaus View Post
    My titanium wedding band from one-off titanium (before cheap Ti bands became available and popular) and a watch are the only "bling" I ever wear.

I have a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic; it replaced a Khaki Quartz which started losing several minutes per day, and it would have cost more to fix than the watch was worth. I really like the Khaki King, but I bought it lightly used and it needs a service because it, too, was losing time on a daily basis. Not needing another thing to think about, and just wanting a basic, reliable , good-looking watch, I ended up buying a Citizen Eco-Drive and putting a different strap on it. I'm happy.

I follow this watch thread on another forum that I frequent.

Pete
    I highly suggest the Time Zone forum for all your watch needs. A dated interface for sure, but good information. TimeZone: Public Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I highly suggest the Time Zone forum for all your watch needs. A dated interface for sure, but good information. TimeZone: Public Forum
    I would, but I've got to say that I fit more into the "appreciates a nice watch" camp more than the "addicted to nice watches" camp :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my hamilton khaki auto.

Came with a metal strap. Cool looking movement. Keeps time well. And I bought it used for well under 1k. Actually for half of that.

Loveee it!

Edit: I bought it used on the timezone forum mentioned and have since picked up a new seiko orange monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few movado's and a hamilton. But the watch I wear the most is the classic field watch.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My favorite watch is my Festina TDF edition. It is stainless with carbon inserts and a faux chain link over the stem. It weighs about a pound, thankfully the carbon inserts save a little weight.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast