User Tag List

Page 9 of 178 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 3551

Thread: Timepieces

  1. #161
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Hm...getting the hankering. Will be a few months until the money is collected, though.

    Digging on the Omega Planet Ocean, black face with orange redish numerals. Figure about $3k. Anything else in that range to consider?



    No pilots, no chronographs, no odd-sized lugs.

    Date, strong, lume...a watch that can do anything, be dressed up or down.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Hard to beat the Omega. Would you consider pre-owned? Rolex Explorer II meets your criteria.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    29,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    THAT Omega? Drool. Good taste.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Hard to beat the Omega. Would you consider pre-owned? Rolex Explorer II meets your criteria.
    I have both. Omega is a slightly better looking watch IMO, but the Explorer II is more durable (at least strap wise) and much easier to wind and adjust. Both great watches though, satisfied buyer either way!

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    For all you watch folks... I have a 2001 Breitling B-1 which needs a new battery. I don't know if I will get to the original retailer in ZŁrich this month or not so I am open to getting it done here in the US.

    I needed this done about 5 years ago and looked at Lenkersdorfer at Tysons Corner in DC. I was shocked and dismayed. They wanted hundreds for a new battery and the sales guy and the demeanor of a cell phone store salesman.

    I took it to Zurich shortly thereafter where a battery and cleaning set me back about $75 from the original retailer (Les Ambassadeurs) and they even looked for the original bill of sale and called me by name,etc. Not bad for a mere $2000 watch at a store which sells watches costing 10-20 times this on a regular basis. I would go back there in a flash if I knew I were going this month but that is uncertain.

    My question is this: where can I get this done reliably here in the US? It should just be a regular battery. Right? Can I even do it myself? I'm happy to pay a watch maker a proper price for this but I am not interested in the mockery I received at a supposedly high level store in DC.

    Recommendations from the experts, please!

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    If this dude can't do it, he can probably tell you who can.

    Britton's Antique and Modern Watch Repair
    3340 Poplar Ave
    Memphis, TN 38111
    (901) 323-3700
    https://www.facebook.com/watchmaker79

    Tell him I sent you.

    -Chase
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Paul's Watch and Clock Repair

    It's a leap of faith to ship your favorite watch (not particularly valuable dollar-wise but I've been wearing it for 45 years) to a stranger 3000 miles away but he was recommended by the vintage Zodiac forum. I've been using him for a couple of years - charges less than half of what my local Zodiac guy raped me for, did stuff that the local guy wouldn't do at any price, guarantees his work, and honors the guarantee. Ships the watch back before he even bothers to bill me. Sent me a refund for my shipping charge once when I had to return it to him shortly after getting it back from him, can you imagine? Tell him (Raimond, Paul's son) that Evan Marks reco'd you and he'll probably kick in free return shipping.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    I wear this cool Smiths military-style watch a lot, I think it has perfect legibility, timeless style, and is a superb value, the quality is really fantastic for the price ($400 for the small one, $500 I think for the larger one w/ sapphire crystal).

    Time Factors Quality Watches On The Net Since 1996

    If you want something more substantial, with a rugged sapphire crystal, this is similar to a $3K IWC pilot for about $600.

    Time Factors Quality Watches On The Net Since 1996

    I have a lot of watches, and I love watches from more well known brands, like Omega, etc., but these timefactors.com watches are top notch quality for insane prices, because of the direct model w/ no adspend.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    That Omega is awesome. Check out the Sinn line as well at watchbuys.com

  10. #170
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    29,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    For all you watch folks... I have a 2001 Breitling B-1 which needs a new battery. I don't know if I will get to the original retailer in ZŁrich this month or not so I am open to getting it done here in the US.

    I needed this done about 5 years ago and looked at Lenkersdorfer at Tysons Corner in DC. I was shocked and dismayed. They wanted hundreds for a new battery and the sales guy and the demeanor of a cell phone store salesman.

    I took it to Zurich shortly thereafter where a battery and cleaning set me back about $75 from the original retailer (Les Ambassadeurs) and they even looked for the original bill of sale and called me by name,etc. Not bad for a mere $2000 watch at a store which sells watches costing 10-20 times this on a regular basis. I would go back there in a flash if I knew I were going this month but that is uncertain.

    My question is this: where can I get this done reliably here in the US? It should just be a regular battery. Right? Can I even do it myself? I'm happy to pay a watch maker a proper price for this but I am not interested in the mockery I received at a supposedly high level store in DC.

    Recommendations from the experts, please!
    I'm no expert but I do know clever Russian watchmakers when I see them!!! There is an old old crusty watch shop located in old town kensington, MD. They never fail me with replacing batteries and service. They did not blink when I asked them to replace batteries in athletes Polar HR monitors and pretty much laughed at paying beau coup bucks for pressure testing. Might give them a call. I do not have an # for them sorry.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Thanks for the suggestions! I will investigate each of them!

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Just added a Bathys Bentic Ti to the mix and love it
    Bathys Hawaii

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Woodstock NY
    Posts
    1,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    How about a NYC Watch shop that can be trusted with something special. I have a 1958 Patek Philipe that belonged to my grandfather. It has been about 11 years since it was cleaned and though it works perfectly, I figure it is time.

    I always feel a bit nervous when I drop this off somewhere. I also dont want to pay more than is necessary. Any ideas?

    -d
    [email protected]



    Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    How about a NYC Watch shop that can be trusted with something special. I have a 1958 Patek Philipe that belonged to my grandfather. It has been about 11 years since it was cleaned and though it works perfectly, I figure it is time.

    I always feel a bit nervous when I drop this off somewhere. I also dont want to pay more than is necessary. Any ideas?

    -d
    I'm working for a private concierge firm now. I have a huge database of services we suggest at work. We only give out names of people/ companies we've used before; people we know are reputable and do good work. Let you know something Tuesday?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West of Portland Oregon
    Posts
    2,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Hm...getting the hankering. Will be a few months until the money is collected, though.

    Digging on the Omega Planet Ocean, black face with orange redish numerals. Figure about $3k. Anything else in that range to consider?



    No pilots, no chronographs, no odd-sized lugs.

    Date, strong, lume...a watch that can do anything, be dressed up or down.
    I really, really wish that I hadn't seen that.

    That is exactly what I shop for in a watch.

    Thanks.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Woodstock NY
    Posts
    1,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Thanks Chasea, I look forward to hearing from you.
    [email protected]



    Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    4,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Don't call it a comeback. Okay, call it a comeback.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/fa...tion.html?_r=1
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  18. #178
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    29,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Don't call it a comeback. Okay, call it a comeback.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/fa...tion.html?_r=1
    I was reading that at lunchtime over an Verona with 2% thinking "these guys must get their facts from VSalon" ;)

    Cr@p, now it will be even harder for me to find the speedmaster I've been looking for.

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

    Cr@p, now it will be even harder for me to find the speedmaster I've been looking for.
    Toots, you thought about eBaying one? This guy in Japan always has legit stuff apparently (though his auctions end up higher because of his good reputation).

    If you end up pawnshopping and seeing some nifty Seamasters, feel free to ping me with the deets.

  20. #180
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larkspur, CA
    Posts
    7,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
    Didn't realize that there were so many Omega fans on velocipede. I opened the first Omega boutique in the US in 2006 - Rodeo Drive, and enjoyed the watches. I didn't have to buy one since I had my choice of watch to wear, but after leaving the company, I've since purchased 5 of them. I truly believe they are the best bang for buck in the industry. The finish is truly up to standards with watches 2-3x the price.

    For $1k, you can get a ton of used watches, you really can't go wrong with fine time pieces. A used co-axial aqua terra will set you back about $1k, they are great because they are pretty versatile and come in 3 sizes.

    My only critque with Omegas or should I say the Sea Master, I own a mid size Sea Master (blue wave face) is that it is heavy compared to the Rolex date adjust I just got as a present. I found it hard the seamaster hard to wear because of the weight where the date adjust i dont even know its on my wrist.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •