User Tag List

Page 86 of 176 FirstFirst ... 767778798081828384858687888990919293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 3514

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

I'm probably biased, but IMO if you're going to get an Omega you should get a Speedmaster or Seamaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'm probably biased, but IMO if you're going to get an Omega you should get a Speedmaster or Seamaster.
    I know but I was told no more steel sports watches and as you suggested finding a gold cased dress watch that will retain its value may be non-starter. And I assume that your underlying advice is also do not purchase a watch style from a brand if they are not known for making that type of watch (i.e. dress watch from Omega) because it will lose almost all value on the secondary market (unless it is something truly special and market forces support it).

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    ...you should stretch and get the Calatrava... [snip]...Sure, there are plenty of gold dress watches that cost less than a Calatrava (or an equivalent watch like an A. Lange or a Vacheron), but you'll pay a premium for the metal without market desirability to keep the value. Perhaps a JLC Reverso would be an option, but you're still getting into steep prices if going with gold. Another approach would be to tell her that you want a Patek 5204R with perpetual calendar and split-second chrono and when you then offer to "settle" for a 5196R manual wind Calatrava, she'll be relieved.
    I'll check out all of the ones you suggested as well as other people's suggestions and keep saving my shekels. I do have 356 more days to save if needed. The websites do not show the true beauty and feel of these timepieces. The Rolex Cellini (IMHO) looks terrible on the Rolex website but looks amazing in-person and felt great on the wrist; almost as-if I had owned it forever. The Calatrava looked dainty on the web but on the wrist it was thin, beautiful, and had a real presence; it was of a different world.'

I need to stop saying "Paaaah-Tick" because the associate in the store, who knows me, kept saying "Pa-Tek" several times as a means to subtly correct me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more and more thinking that I need to have a wristwatch. I HATE digging out the flip phone to check the time(don't get me started on smart phones and their addictive nature) and yet I don't want to go back to my old Timex quartz watch. Somewhere, deep in the bowels of my chest of drawers is a gold Citizen but it's too formal for daily wear.

Would people look at me in disgust if I didn't spend thousands on a wristwatch and instead got a Tissot or a Seiko SGXYZwhycan'ttheynametheirwatchessomecoolname?

I'm thinking no more than $300 should get me through to my next life; I know it would buy enough digital, battery-powered Casios to last twice that long.

Any guidance from the hive? please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I know but I was told no more steel sports watches and as you suggested finding a gold cased dress watch that will retain its value may be non-starter. And I assume that your underlying advice is also do not purchase a watch style from a brand if they are not known for making that type of watch (i.e. dress watch from Omega) because it will lose almost all value on the secondary market (unless it is something truly special and market forces support it).
    Generally speaking, each brand has the watches they're known for and that people want. Part of what makes Rolex such a juggernaut in the industry is that most of their watches fit that bill. With other brands, it's a smaller subset of the line. I try to stick with the watches the brands are known for. Take Zenith, for example. Their Elite is a very nice looking watch, but I wouldn't get a Zenith that isn't an El Primero chrono. Omegas are all excellent watches, but the Speedy and Seamaster are classics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I am more and more thinking that I need to have a wristwatch. I HATE digging out the flip phone to check the time(don't get me started on smart phones and their addictive nature) and yet I don't want to go back to my old Timex quartz watch. Somewhere, deep in the bowels of my chest of drawers is a gold Citizen but it's too formal for daily wear.

Would people look at me in disgust if I didn't spend thousands on a wristwatch and instead got a Tissot or a Seiko SGXYZwhycan'ttheynametheirwatchessomecoolname?

I'm thinking no more than $300 should get me through to my next life; I know it would buy enough digital, battery-powered Casios to last twice that long.

- Do not take recent posts as evidence for what one must spend on watches.
    - Much earlier in this thread (and in some places only a few pages back) there are some really good solid options for less than $500 for an automatic and under $300 for a quartz.
    - I have owned many expensive watches and some really inexpensive ones and like many things, cost does not always equate to quality.
    - Stay away from fashion watches as they are usually crap and expensive for what you get (even though they appear inexpensive).
    - I now own a Seiko SXK011 (SKX007 and SXK009 are the same with different dials) and can truly say IMHO it is a total piece of crap. So many better options out there at this price point. I know everyone loves the SKX but the design and materials used have not changed in so many years and you can find better options at the same price point from other brands.
    - Dustin showed some Citizen's a few pages back that are excellent value for money (go back and read Dustin's journey and posts).
    - Citizen, Orient, and others make some really good value for money watches under $500 and even under $300.
    - Look through some recent videos of a few Youtube-rs but take everything with a grain of salt as some get paid with dollars, ad sense views, or watches for free: Random Rob, Bruce Williams, Long Island Watch, Patrick Marlett, JustBlueFish Watch Reviews, Just One More Watch, and so many others...

My favorite automatic watch right now at the under $400 mark is the Sieko SARB033 black dial (035 for cream dial). Sieko is trying to move upscale by putting even crappier movements into their watches and charging the same price so each model appears more upper end unless you are into watches and really know what they are doing. The SARB033/035 was/is a Japan Domestic Model only but can be had here very easily. It is the end of the line for many under $500 watches from Sieko that are well built, have a good enough Sieko movement, are durable, look good, come on a decent bracelet, and in this case also look great on a strap. You can get them on Amazon for about $400 for either color. Get it fast because Seiko no longer makes them so supply is drying up.

Not my watches but look at how nice they are.

Another really great option is the Hamilton Khaki; looks good on a strap or a bracelet. Automatic for just under $500 and Quartz for less than that.

I have had good luck purchasing from Long Island Watch (authorized dealer for anything they sell), my brother has had good luck with JomaShop (most often gray market), and Amazon can be hit or miss (but better if you buy direct from Amazon and not third party sellers.

And, if you really want a Casio G-Shock Square, send me a PM as I am about to sell a like-new 35th Anniversary 5035 model for under $200 (pictures can be found several pages back in this thread).

Do not get caught up on price because like most things, you can find an amazing watch for $300 and a really crappy one for $3,000.

As an example, all of the watches below use the same automatic movement yet the pricing is all over the place because there are different grades of the same movement and there can be a great deal of variance in case construction, dial finish, crystal type, and build quality:

https://www.laco-watches.com/en/watc...watch-cuxhaven
    https://us.tissotshop.com/men/tissot...e-seconde.html
    https://www.archimede-watches.com/deckwatch-a.-si.lhb
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Arm...Watch/47772333
    https://www.terracielomare.com/products/milano-classic
    *** You can tell they all use the same movement because the seconds sub-dial is in the same place (and they all claim to use the same movement).

Good luck with your search and come back here to post some watches you are considering to get helpful real world feedback as someone might already own it (or have owned it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Steinhart Watches, they are a closer to $400 than $300 but well built with a tried and true movement (ETA2824). I own an Ocean Red that has been a Great Watch!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you wish to support an independent, check out Start-en. Similar vibe to the independent bike makers on here. Excellent personal customer service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Check out Steinhart Watches, they are a closer to $400 than $300 but well built with a tried and true movement (ETA2824). I own an Ocean Red that has been a Great Watch!
    While I am personally not into the "Rolex Submariner Homage" watches, Stienharts have a great reputation. They now come in a smaller 39mm size which is getting rave reviews. The ETA2824 is a good movement that also comes in many quality levels so keep that in mind when a brand states they use it because two watches can vary widely in price even though they both use an "ETA2824".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casio G-Shock. Good luck killing one of those.

I've also had an SKX from Seiko for a few years now, and it's the AK47 of watches. Cheap, unpretentious, and seems to continue to just work no matter what I throw at it. And its an ISO certified diver for well under $300.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Straps are so personal. I tried one of those but I could never get it to work because it was always way too tight or way to loose. I sent it to my younger brother to try and he thinks it is the best think ever and started swapping out the straps on all of his sports watches (he collects inexpensive timex/seiko/invicta/etc and has about 50 of them) with that strap.
    I've had the BOLDR on with the Watch Steward elastic strap for a few hours and so far so good. Comfortable so that you don't even notice it (the fact that the watch is pretty light helps) and the tension is just right.

My only long-term concern is that even though it's supposed to be good for a 6"-8" wrist, and my wrist is just over 7", I have the adjustment set about as tight as it can go, and if the elastic weakens over time I might not be able to take up much more slack.

Another detail - I haven't decided if I'm going to undo the hook to remove and replace the watch, or instead stretch the elastic, but that isn't a huge deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the "zone" which is 357 days away from a major milestone birthday. Asked/told my wife I was going to start looking for a watch to which she responded, "nothing steel, nothing with a metal bracelet, and no more Rolex watches because you have too many". Similar to bikes, anything more than 1 is too many for her. I then asked her what her idea of a watch might be and she responded with, "Gold case, leather strap, and not too big". And guess what I found, a Rolex Cellini. I tried it on but did not actually purchase it.

I need recommendations from other watch enthusiasts. I do not want to spend a fortune (not that I could) on something like an entry level Patek Calatrava or the Rolex Cellini shown below. I want something new (aka I will not purchase pre-owned). What options are available for a classic looking and sized gold case watch that would be my "adult dress watch" according to my wife and also not break the bank?

Attachment 111804

*** as you can see by the time I did some lunch hour trying-on
    Look at Blancpain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the "zone" which is 357 days away from a major milestone birthday. Asked/told my wife I was going to start looking for a watch to which she responded, "nothing steel, nothing with a metal bracelet, and no more Rolex watches because you have too many". Similar to bikes, anything more than 1 is too many for her. I then asked her what her idea of a watch might be and she responded with, "Gold case, leather strap, and not too big". And guess what I found, a Rolex Cellini. I tried it on but did not actually purchase it.

I need recommendations from other watch enthusiasts. I do not want to spend a fortune (not that I could) on something like an entry level Patek Calatrava or the Rolex Cellini shown below. I want something new (aka I will not purchase pre-owned). What options are available for a classic looking and sized gold case watch that would be my "adult dress watch" according to my wife and also not break the bank?

*** as you can see by the time I did some lunch hour trying-on
    I agree with everything Matt has said (Patek, A. Lange & Sohne, JLC), but also think you should take a look at Grand Seiko. There are some precious metal examples including platinum which look amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    I agree with everything Matt has said (Patek, A. Lange & Sohne, JLC), but also think you should take a look at Grand Seiko. There are some precious metal examples including platinum which look amazing.
    Grand Seiko are really nice but they lose value (on the secondary market) faster than anything I have seen; often as much as 50% immediately. They only keep value in Japan because they know the difference between "Seiko" and "Grand Seiko" but in the rest of the world unless you are a watch enthusiast and really know about Grand Seiko, most people just think it is an inexpensive watch.

Was considering this one at $4300 until I found out the "trade-in" price at several dealers who are Grand Seiko authorized dealers only offer about $2000 and this is very well liked piece (as well as the GMT version at $4600). I am not one to sell watches but an immediate 50% drop is concerning.

SBGR261 (SBGR061 is the previous version which had "Seiko" and "Grand Seiko" on the dial)

SBGM221 (SBGM021 is the previous version which had "Seiko" and "Grand Seiko" on the dial)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Seiko are really nice but they lose value (on the secondary market) faster than anything I have seen; often as much as 50% immediately. They only keep value in Japan because they know the difference between "Seiko" and "Grand Seiko" but in the rest of the world unless you are a watch enthusiast and really know about Grand Seiko, most people just think it is an inexpensive watch.

Was considering this one at $4300 until I found out the "trade-in" price at several dealers who are Grand Seiko authorized dealers only offer about $2000 and this is very well liked piece (as well as the GMT version at $4600). I am not one to sell watches but an immediate 50% drop is concerning.

SBGR261 (SBGR061 is the previous version which had "Seiko" and "Grand Seiko" on the dial)

SBGM221 (SBGM021 is the previous version which had "Seiko" and "Grand Seiko" on the dial)
    While true currently, I think Grand Seiko is about to come around in a big way; they have been releasing killer watches for a while and just like Japanese whiskey, I think shortly people are going to realize what great value and quality these really are.

That being said, I lust after both a Patek Calatrava or an A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the great information. My last watch was a Timex mechanical with a plastic case that I bought for $10. I haven't worn a watch in ages but keeping track of time is more important in my new job. I do appreciate quality, but want to understand what I'm paying for.

I really like the Seikos you pictured but not a fan of the bracelet. I'll keep looking for one with a leather band. I prefer simple bezels without phases of the moon, lap timers, day/date, etc. but a simple day of the month is okay. I see the Presage/Prospex line has the same movement (6R15) as the SARBxxx line; are they the same quality?

I did find this Alpinist SARB017. Seiko Green Dial Automatic Alpinist Field Watch with 38mm Case, and Sapphire Crystal #SARB17

The Hamiltons look great as well.

Does anyone know anything about Laco watches? I found this one: Navy Watches by Laco watches | model Valencia 39

I suspect that owning one nice watch leads to buying another. Does the N + 1 rule apply to watches as well as bicycles?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect that owning one nice watch leads to buying another. Does the N + 1 rule apply to watches as well as bicycles?
    It’s worse.

I’d also give another nod to Hamilton. The Khaki is a nice watch.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Hamiltons (esp) the Khaki as value mechanicals, but I haven't had good longevity - after 5 years or so, they stop. IIRC, they have ETA 2824 movements. I'm guessing that they're pretty 'raw' given that the same movement, with varying degrees of finish, can last forever and meet chronometer standards of accuracy. I bought a couple for my sons and both conked out after 4 - 5 years. Serviced and ran for a few more months, then crapped out again. Given that the cost of service can approach the price of the watch (a couple of hundred bucks), I won't be buying more of these. By contrast, 'cheap' mechanical Seiko divers run forever and are 90% of the quality of my Swiss divers for 5% of the cost. YMMV.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the great information. My last watch was a Timex mechanical with a plastic case that I bought for $10. I haven't worn a watch in ages but keeping track of time is more important in my new job. I do appreciate quality, but want to understand what I'm paying for.

I really like the Seikos you pictured but not a fan of the bracelet. I'll keep looking for one with a leather band. I prefer simple bezels without phases of the moon, lap timers, day/date, etc. but a simple day of the month is okay. I see the Presage/Prospex line has the same movement (6R15) as the SARBxxx line; are they the same quality?

I did find this Alpinist SARB017. Seiko Green Dial Automatic Alpinist Field Watch with 38mm Case, and Sapphire Crystal #SARB17

The Hamiltons look great as well. Does anyone know anything about Laco watches? I found this one: Navy Watches by Laco watches | model Valencia 39

I suspect that owning one nice watch leads to buying another. Does the N + 1 rule apply to watches as well as bicycles? Thanks again.

So many people remove the bracelet and add a 20mm leather strap to the SARB 033/035; the watch is that good making it worth it. Do a google image search and you will see some options.

Presage is the higher end dress line so you will get a nice watch but they will be more expensive than the now discontinued SARB.

Prospex is "Professional Spec" line and more sport oriented. Very few models have a sapphire crystal in this price range from Seiko so if scratches bother you avoid Seiko's non-sapphire "hardlex" crystal. The SARB and Alpinist both come with a sapphire crystal on front and "hardlex" on back if I remember correctly - no concerns about hardlex on the back.

Alpinist is very well liked and you can add a bracelet to that if you do not like the leather band - strapcode makes one.

A Hamilton is always a great choice and a step above similarly priced Seikos.

Laco's are very nice even though not as well known. They make some very good watches for the money (LI Watch stocks many of them - no I am not schilling for them - they already have a great reputation and are an authorized dealer). Less expensive ones will have less expensive movements and non-sapphire crystals but as you move up in the brand you will find better movements (like the trusty ETA2824) and sapphire crystals. My favorite Laco right now is 3x you price range but great value for what it has (see pic below).

As Matthew Strongin has shared with me in the past, having a manual wind watch can be wonderful. Less parts to break/service over time and there is something special and analog about giving it a wind in the morning before you start your day.

Only rule for watches is buy what you love and wear it but if you do not use it, get rid of it. Some say a three watch collection is perfect: 1 nice Dress, 1 nice Sport, and 1 beater.

LACO CUXHAVEN MANUAL WINDING NAVY WATCH WITH AR SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL #862104

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as the watch has a normal bracelet attachment, it's easy to remove the bracelet and replace it with a leather strap. The Presage and Prospex lines are a higher quality level than the standard Seiko watches.

Another place to look for watches is Gnonom. They are located in Singapore but have a very good reputation; I've ordered from them and received the watch in less than a week. They have that Alpinist in stock as well as a number of Seikos that you don't often find for sale in the US. Seiko Watches

Does anyone know anything about Laco watches? I found this one: Navy Watches by Laco watches | model Valencia 39
    That particular Laco uses a Citizen (Miyota) movement, which IMO is a lesser movement than an ETA. If you like that style Stowa makes something very similar that does have an ETA movement, but it is more money. Marine - STOWA GmbH+CO KG | Uhrenmanufaktur seit 1927

Very much so.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like NYCfixie mention, I just went down this same path myself.

While I think mechanical watches are really really neat, I have no desire to own one. They're just not as accurate as a quartz watch. A pretty nice mechanical watch will gain/lose as much time in one day as a decent quartz watch will in a month...that bothers me. And some quartz watches will sync with the atomic radio signal so they're always on the right time, and you don't ever have to fiddle with them. With quartz you also have the option of a perpetual calendar - meaning the watch knows what year/month it is, so it knows if it's a 28, 29, 30, or 31 day month. Most watches just count 1-31 every month and half a dozen times a year you have to adjust the date. I'm not sure if any mechanical watches have perpetual calendars or not...

If going quartz, go solar powered. No worries about replacing a battery every few years.

Get a sapphire crystal. I'm not hard on watches at all and still managed to scratch a mineral crystal pretty quickly.

Tool-less adjustment on the bracelet is a super nice feature. Half-links are also nice. Both will let you better fine-tune the fit, and the tool-less adjust means you can do it any time, which is very handy.

For me, that means either Citizen or Seiko. I know Casio has a lot of options too, but they're all cheaper, other than the gShocks, which I don't like the look of. The Oceanus is the exception - that's a beautiful watch with all the bells and whistles. The one drawback (for me) is the bracelet is proprietary, so you can't swap it out for a strap if you wanted. It's a bit spendy too at $500. Mr. Shabazz has a great review right here ::

You can browse Citizen/Seiko's sites to see what they offer, and keep in mind the price listed on their site is/can be considerably higher than the actual going rate. This Citizen for example has an MSRP of $495 but was available for as low as $200 last week on Amazon, but now seems to be around $250.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 05-06-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?