User Tag List

Page 79 of 175 FirstFirst ... 697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First automatic

I saw that too...sadly (luckily) my wrists are too small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit I have a hopeless addiction for Seiko divers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which ones is it?

Looks like a SBDC061 or a SBDC063.

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I have to admit I have a hopeless addiction for Seiko divers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sbdc065.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Sbdc065.
    Well done. I like that the SBDC065 has the blue dial, steel bracelet, and the blue strap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

You didn't say how much you want to spend. Omega's are good watches, I have one, but they're overpriced in my opinion as are the Rolexes and other such watches.

I happen to like automatic movements over quartz, I haven't had a quartz watch last for more than 5 years before it breaks, yes I replace the battery; but with autos I don't have to worry about battery replacement and they last a lot longer...at least that's been my experience. Some argue accuracy, I had some quartz movements that lost or gain 5 minutes a month, and I have autos that may gain or lose a second a month! so really I don't think one should look too closely as the accuracy issue.

If having a Swiss movement is your thing you can find watches like the Tissot Le Locle or the Ballade for under $1,000, in fact on Amazon there is a sale on these for $414 BUT you need to make sure the seller is a authorized Tissot dealer or you won't have a warranty! I own an older 1968 Tissot that needs a new movement, someday I'll get that done I hope. Another good watch if you want a diver sport looking watch is the Seiko Prospex which also cost less than $1,000, at around $728 on Amazon, but again check that authorized dealer thing, I have that exact watch and it runs extremely well, it gains about 4 to 5 seconds a month which is darn close to my Omega that gains a second a month, but I had the Omega timed, I never had the Seiko timed, so when I take the Seiko in someday for a cleaning I'll get it timed then, but still 4 to 5 seconds is incredibly good for a lower costing auto. On the note of Seiko they have a really cool looking watch now out called the Seiko Alpinist SARB017, again a sport type of watch, probably has a movement that is one step down from mine because the cost is about $250 less, but it looks really cool. Hamilton Khaki Field auto watch is an excellent watch that cost under $500 and has that old style military look to it.

Now the Swiss movements found in the Tissots, and the Hamiltons have longer run time reserve power when not worn then the Japanese movements found in the Seiko will have, not a big deal if you wear it a lot though.

I would stay away from Invicta type of watches, they will never become a Seiko! I have a couple of friends who have those Invicta's and one guy had his for about 9 years and the auto movement broke which he never got fixed because the repair was as much as the watch cost new! the other guy had his for 5 years and he had to have it repaired 4 times while it was under warranty, he threw his away after it broke outside the warranty like the other guy did. Chinese auto movements just haven't progressed to the degree of durability and accuracy that the Japanese movements have. I've heard, though I have no proof if this is really true, but the Citizen watches are not as good as the Seiko, maybe someone here with more knowledge of those two can dispute that. But I think you can find a really nice auto watch that will look expensive but isn't yet run as good as an expensive watch and probably last just as long.

Obviously I haven't covered the whole gambit of watches, but the ones I mentioned if you want to spend under a $1,000 are extremely good options, even those that cost under $500 is a very good option to consider. Right now is a good time to buy watches because of the huge after Christmas sales going on in attempt to sell watches that didn't sell during Christmas. But if you buy on Amazon, this is true of ANY product purchased on Amazon, you need to ask the community if the seller is a authorized seller of that product brand, if not find another source that is, or you could run into issues if a warranty issue popped up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BALTIC_AQUASCAPHE_BlueGilt-tropic.jpg

Digging this one. Have a Seamaster (1995) and Tudor Sub (1982). I prefer the Tudor Sub, but both really don't have any lum left. Thinking about picking up a less expensive watch that has better lum. I like the retro look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently a breitling navitimer has caught my eye... please talk me out of this......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have long admired the Chopard L.U.C. Sport 2000 and the combination of some extra money and one for sale at a great price meant that this came to me a week or so ago. The L.U.C. Sport was produced in the early 2000s with a run of 2000 units. It has a diameter of 40mm and a thickness of just 10mm. Different straps can really change the character of the watch, it can dress up or down IMO and I also have the bracelet.

As nice as the dial is, the real gem is the movement. The Chopard 4.96 is COSC certified, has dual barrels giving it a 65 hour power reserve and most notably it has a micro-rotor. There are very few micro-rotor movements around at this price point and I don't think any are as finely finished as this one. Chopard also make a couple of other micro-rotor movements which have even better finishing - the 4.96 is the 'entry level' version.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arcadian View Post
    BALTIC_AQUASCAPHE_BlueGilt-tropic.jpg

Digging this one. Have a Seamaster (1995) and Tudor Sub (1982). I prefer the Tudor Sub, but both really don't have any lum left. Thinking about picking up a less expensive watch that has better lum. I like the retro look.
    Hard to beat the Seiko lume if you are looking at lower price points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a sucker for living finishes.

Bronze on copper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you wish to support an independent from Europe, have a look at Habring in Austria. Richard was at IWC and came up with some of their most innovative ideas, then he set up on his own with his wife Maria . They only make a small run of each model and they cost a few quid more than most of the stuff on this thread, but if you like the idea of checking your wrist, and have a moment to think, wow, I have an amazing piece of personally made engineering there and very few people in the world have it, it might give you some tiny pleasure hundreds of times a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the weekend, and since it hadn't seen much wrist time lately, today and Sunday I'm wearing my Luch one-hander. It originally came with a pretty low end leather strap, which I replaced with the strap that came with my Alpinist (which, if you're familiar with those, is no great shakes either, which is why it was replaced on the Alpinist by a Hirsch Liberty). Given that I only wear it on the weekend, I'm going to root through the various NATO straps I have to see what goes best with the Luch and is a bit sportier-looking.

(Image isn't mine.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing the theme of time-keeping devices from old Eastern Bloc countries, a few days ago I ordered (off Etsy) a Nixie tube clock from a guy who makes them in Ukraine (presumably using old surplus Soviet Nixie tubes). They're driven by modern electronics (like nearly all Nixie tube clocks made these days) but the display tubes are the real thing. It's been shipped - we'll see how long it takes to get here. Hopefully there won't be any issues at US Customs, with the ongoing "shutdown" mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Continuing the theme of time-keeping devices from old Eastern Bloc countries, a few days ago I ordered (off Etsy) a Nixie tube clock from a guy who makes them in Ukraine
    I did NOT need to see that. Dang that is cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright watch nerds. Sapphire crystals...worth the upgrade? And exactly how much more do you need to spend?

I'm looking to get a quartz (preferably solar powered) watch with a simple aestetic, and not a lot of money. Currently this is my top pic, but I'll swap out the band for something grey or black. This is about ~$120 (give or take) watch...how much are you looking at to get into sapphire?

Last edited by dgaddis; 01-24-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Alright watch nerds. Sapphire crystals...worth the upgrade? And exactly how much more do you need to spend?

I'm looking to get a quartz (preferably solar powered) watch with a simple aestetic, and not a lot of money. Currently this is my top pic, but I'll swap out the band for something grey or black. This is about ~$120 (give or take) watch...how much are you looking at to get into sapphire?
    Sapphire crystals are considerably harder than plexi and therefore won't scratch as easily. I have two pieces from the same manufacturer, one with plexi and the other sapphire. If you want to truly geek out, you can see some nuance between the two different materials, but for overall durability in an everyday watch, sapphire will look better, for longer.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Sapphire crystals are considerably harder than plexi and therefore won't scratch as easily. I have two pieces from the same manufacturer, one with plexi and the other sapphire. If you want to truly geek out, you can see some nuance between the two different materials, but for overall durability in an everyday watch, sapphire will look better, for longer.
    Yeah I get that. But the question is, is the increased cost worth the extra durability? And how much extra is the cost?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chesebro View Post
    I saw that too...sadly (luckily) my wrists are too small.
    It's *only* a 39MM. You'd be surprised how a large watch looks once you get used to the new diameter. I like somewhat larger watches and swore I'd never buy anything over a 45mm. Then I tried on a 47 and loved it.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain