User Tag List

Page 72 of 175 FirstFirst ... 626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 3494

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Contact your Rolex dealer and get on a list...
    Yeah, somehow this is a turn off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Yeah, somehow this is a turn off.
    Rolex did something similar several years ago. They pulled many dealer agreements to help control the grey market selling of their watches. This is just another means to do the same. By constraining production they are helping ensure their dealers will not wholesale watches to other non-Rolex dealers who sell at a discount and devalue the brand.

It is no surprise to me that you can find the steel air king or new explorer all day long but nobody seems to have had the steel submariner, Explorer II, or seadweller for several months.

The new steel GMT Pepsi was just announced but I am sure those will be offered to current customers first as soon as stores get them. It also has a new movement with a 70 hour reserve whereas most of the other current models only have a 48.

The heart wants what it wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but nobody seems to have had the steel submariner, Explorer II, or seadweller for several months.

is that true? i feel like i just walked past all three of these on display yesterday, but i cant be sure. i'll be in the city tomorrow and have a look.

FWIW, i own a lot of watches. mostly automatic divers, and my ND sub is still my favorite watch of all time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolex did something similar several years ago. They pulled many dealer agreements to help control the grey market selling of their watches. This is just another means to do the same. By constraining production they are helping ensure their dealers will not wholesale watches to other non-Rolex dealers who sell at a discount and devalue the brand.

It is no surprise to me that you can find the steel air king or new explorer all day long but nobody seems to have had the steel submariner, Explorer II, or seadweller for several months.

The new steel GMT Pepsi was just announced but I am sure those will be offered to current customers first as soon as stores get them. It also has a new movement with a 70 hour reserve whereas most of the other current models only have a 48.

The heart wants what it wants.
    I saw that new GMT. 70 hours is good indeed. Very happy with my GMT I though ! But a Rolex Daytona would still be cool, maybe I will end up looking at it seriously,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Grand Seiko talk is timely; I have been looking at them for a while and was interested in the mechanical models. I came close to buying one a few times but just never made that final leap. On the subject of price, they do seem to hold their value pretty well and I found that I could buy a new model from Japan (at a discount from MSRP) for about $5-800 more than the same used model in the US.

Late last week, while looking at one of the online shops, I came across a used Spring Drive at a very good price. I hadn't considered a Spring Drive that much but after reading up on it and looking at some vids I decided to go for it. It arrived yesterday and I'm thrilled with it. I've owned a number of nice watches over the years; as far as the fit and finish the GS blows everything else I've ever owned away IMO. Regarding the dial quality, I think that the closest one that I've owned is a Blancpain though I would give the GS the edge here as well. The whole watch is amazing in terms of attention to detail. The seconds hand is mesmerizing....it's so smooth, unlike any other watch, and I find that my eyes are drawn to it often.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on the SpeedMaster Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary limited edition version ($6,800) versus the Railmaster standard reissue version ($5,000)?

They were all (Trilogy series Railmaster, Seamaster, and Speedmaster) supposed to have sold out but I found a Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary in Boston yesterday and am considering it.

Is either Railmaster worth it?
    It's officially a Speedmaster but is it really considered one in the marketplace?
    Websites like Hodinkee seem to like both the Railmaster and Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary.

What do all of you horologists and Omega fans think?

Railmaster

Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone had hands on a MKII Hawkinge? I'd like to add a simpler "field" type watch for times when the Seamaster is not appropriate.

Requirements: 36-38mm, proper on a NATO strap, minimal logos, no date field, +/- $500

Review with bunch of photos: MKII Hawkinge Review -- is it "Perfection"?

My omega is the 36mm and that is the right size. The lug-to lug distance on the Hawkinge makes me wonder if it's going to wear too large despite the 38mm face.

Other:

The Tudor Black Bay 36 would be about perfect. But don't want to spend $2500

Hamilton field is an obvious choice but I'm not overly keen on the face and the MKII is a couple bucks higher price and more interesting.

Seiko 805 is so close and dirt cheap. But the aesthetic is too "busy".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on the SpeedMaster Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary limited edition version ($6,800) versus the Railmaster standard reissue version ($5,000)?

They were all (Trilogy series Railmaster, Seamaster, and Speedmaster) supposed to have sold out but I found a Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary in Boston yesterday and am considering it.

Is either Railmaster worth it?
    It's officially a Speedmaster but is it really considered one in the marketplace?
    Websites like Hodinkee seem to like both the Railmaster and Railmaster Trilogy/Anniversary.

What do all of you horologists and Omega fans think?
    I think my post got blown away in the kerfuffle with the site last night. I think it is underappreciated. Theoretically, it is closest to a Rolex Milgauss as both were designed to withstand large magnetic fields. IMO I like the dial of the special edition more and the size is really great at 38mm so anyone could really use it, but I have heard that the deployant of the regular one is better (not as bulky). I believe that Railmasters are actually under the Seamaster banner though not Speedmasters. Both have the same rock solid Co-Axial movement so thats a wash. The limited edition would probably keep its value better if that matters to you. Either way it would be a great watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    I think my post got blown away in the kerfuffle with the site last night. I think it is underappreciated. Theoretically, it is closest to a Rolex Milgauss as both were designed to withstand large magnetic fields. IMO I like the dial of the special edition more and the size is really great at 38mm so anyone could really use it, but I have heard that the deployant of the regular one is better (not as bulky). I believe that Railmasters are actually under the Seamaster banner though not Speedmasters. Both have the same rock solid Co-Axial movement so thats a wash. The limited edition would probably keep its value better if that matters to you. Either way it would be a great watch.

I liked the Railmaster Trilogy but my wife did not like the "fake patina" that is supposed to make the watch look older like an original that would have aged. I really liked a Speedmaster with blue face and titanium case/bracelet (see below) but she did not like that either and said it was too similar to my Rolex Explorer II but with different colors. Then we moved onto the IWC Mark XVIII (see below) which was "approved for future purchase" because she thought it was different enough from my other watches and I do not have anything dressier with a leather strap.

And I am now on 3 different Rolex dealer (NYC, NJ, MA) lists for any of the following: 2018 GMT II steel with jubilee bracelet (only way it comes), Seadweller, Submariner date, Submariner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Anyone had hands on a MKII Hawkinge? I'd like to add a simpler "field" type watch for times when the Seamaster is not appropriate.

Requirements: 36-38mm, proper on a NATO strap, minimal logos, no date field, +/- $500

My omega is the 36mm and that is the right size. The lug-to lug distance on the Hawkinge makes me wonder if it's going to wear too large despite the 38mm face.

Other:

Hamilton field is an obvious choice but I'm not overly keen on the face and the MKII is a couple bucks higher price and more interesting.

If 39mm and a bit more money works another option would be an Archimede - Archimede Pilot 39 H Automatic Watch UA7969-A4.2, Archimede Watches, Archimede-UA7969-A4.2 WatchMann.com
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    Any thoughts on cool, interesting mantel clocks?
    Chelsea.

Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    If 39mm and a bit more money works another option would be an Archimede - Archimede Pilot 39 H Automatic Watch UA7969-A4.2, Archimede Watches, Archimede-UA7969-A4.2 WatchMann.com
    They sent me a Outdoor Automatic years ago for review, man that watch was SWEET! I really should have bought it.

I have a 36mm Air King, and it just looks a little small on the wrist. I think the sweet spot for me is 41mm. But you know, fashions change. Looks like watches are going back to a reasonable size now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    They sent me a Outdoor Automatic years ago for review, man that watch was SWEET! I really should have bought it.

I have a 36mm Air King, and it just looks a little small on the wrist. I think the sweet spot for me is 41mm. But you know, fashions change. Looks like watches are going back to a reasonable size now.
    Exactly, I think the bigger is better craze in watches is subsiding except at the ultra-high end (over 100k). My 40mm Explorer II and 36mm Datejust are just right. I am not a fan of either the newer Explorer II in 42mm or the newer Datejust II in 41mm because I think the proportions are off (but maybe on the really bigger guys it works).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, I think the bigger is better craze in watches is subsiding except at the ultra-high end (over 100k). My 40mm Explorer II and 36mm Datejust are just right. I am not a fan of either the newer Explorer II in 42mm or the newer Datejust II in 41mm because I think the proportions are off (but maybe on the really bigger guys it works).
    IMO, stated size can't always be used to judge (although it does give you an idea of how it might look). I have two 42mm watches, one a Speedmaster and the other a flieger style watch. The flieger style watch wears much bigger than the Speedmaster and just feels like a lot on my wrist, whereas the Speedmaster doesn't seem near as big. That being said, I think 42mm is as big as I can go and that my desired range is 38-42mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    IMO, stated size can't always be used to judge (although it does give you an idea of how it might look). I have two 42mm watches, one a Speedmaster and the other a flieger style watch. The flieger style watch wears much bigger than the Speedmaster and just feels like a lot on my wrist, whereas the Speedmaster doesn't seem near as big. That being said, I think 42mm is as big as I can go and that my desired range is 38-42mm.
    I completely agree. Every watch reads differently and the best way to know if it works is to try it on. Sport models with prominent bezels can read smaller than simple dress watches of the same size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting to watch Rolex watches trend. Today a stainless Daytona or Seamaster is with more than an 18k President. At 66yo, I am out of today's loop. My wife bought my stainless-gold date in 1977( my 26th birthday ) for $700. She bought my President in 1987 ( 36th birthday ) for $7000. It's shocking to see what people are paying for the current models. Oh well, my watches still keep decent time after a few overhauls and instead of buying a new watch, I think I'll just enjoy my Porsche.
    Last edited by dpcompt; 06-05-2018 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    Oh well, my watches still keep decent time after a few overhauls and instead of buying a new watch, I think I'll just enjoy my Porsche.
    So you're the one who bought Jerry Seinfeld's 550 Spyder!

Snap55.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    It's interesting to watch Rolex watches trend. Today a stainless Daytona or Seamaster is with more than an 18k President. At 66yo, I am out of today's loop. My wife bought my stainless-gold date in 1977( my 26th birthday ) for $700. She bought my President in 1987 ( 36th birthday ) for $7000. It's shocking to see what people are paying for the current models. Oh well, my watches still keep decent time after a few overhauls and instead of buying a new watch, I think I'll just enjoy my Porsche.
    Time to sell your Rolex watches and fund a new Daytona...

1977 Stainless/Gold Datejust @ $700 (2018 value of $700 in 1977 dollars = $2965).
    2018 Stainless/Gold Datejust @ $10,500

1987 Gold President @ $7000 (2018 value of $7000 in 1977 = $15,616.90).
    2018 Gold President @ $31,000

What I have found with my own Rolex watches (1994 Explorer II, 2000 Steel/Gold Datejust) is that I could sell them used for about same amount I bought them for originally (factoring present value of the dollar). Like you, I have serviced them over the years so while I could get my money out of the watches, the cost of ownership over the years would be the service cost. The issue is that it would cost twice as much as I would get out of my current watches to purchase the newer versions which seems foolish since mine have a personal history.

The used Rolex market does seems to be increasing as the cost of new watches keeps increasing exponentially.

And, not all Daytonas and Seamasters have increased in value more than the "regular" Rolex watches. They need to be very rare or have something special about them, to have increased enough for someone to pay $17m for "Paul Newman's" Paul Newman Daytona.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post

Other:

Go for it! I am about to order a Gen-3 Paradive myself. I sold my last MKII here on vSalon about 3 years ago and wish I still had it so it's time for another.

Totally agree on the Tudor - they are killing it on all fronts and if I could have whatever I wanted it would be a Tudor.

On the subject of Grand Seikos there are a number of reviews that posit dollar for dollar they blow Rolex, etc out of the water in terms of case/dial/hands quality...yeah maybe the movement isn't as decorated but they are certainly as well made as anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, help me make up my mind: Sinn 556i with strap or with bracelet?

I was originally leaning toward the bracelet because St Louis in the summer is one heck of a humid sweat box, but now I think I prefer the look of the strap. (With the bracelet there's perhaps a tad too much steel.)

TIA