User Tag List

Page 71 of 176 FirstFirst ... 616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3516

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    It is all subjective anyways. Right now I am lusting after both a Submariner and a Grand Seiko GMT on a leather strap (mechanical, not quartz or their spring drive).
    Oh yes. very subjective for sure, the appeal of these luxury goods. I really like all the Grand Seikos that I have paid attention to. They seem really really nice. Expensive. No idea if they hold their value at all, relative to a Rolex. Maybe Matt Strongin knows about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    i've always liked IWC watches but my next fancy watch is going to be a Tudor.
    Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Me too. I was very happy to see the Mark XVIII was a small face watch. But for me the Mark XII is one of my all time favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    I have an IWC and their Aquatimer model is on my wishlist.
    IWC Classic Pilot Mark XVIII...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been a fan of Rolex. Even if I could find one of the steel/oyster/sport watches (Rolex has been constricting distribution for about the last year), I would still be torn on a submariner or submariner-date. Submariner, Submariner Date, Submariner, Submariner Date....1st world problem I guess.

I think the Grand Siekos were more interesting when you could not get them here. It's still an amazing watch but now that they are easily attainable and there are Grand Sieko stores stateside, they no longer appeal to me.

It is all subjective anyways. Right now I am lusting after both a Submariner and a Grand Seiko GMT on a leather strap (mechanical, not quartz or their spring drive).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonjr View Post
    Submariner or seadweller, glidelock puts it way over the pelagos.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSCROSS View Post
    Somewhat dated Original Fan vintage 1980 no date sub

Attachment 108083
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Choose...Date or No-Date...Form or Function...Original or Updated...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Oh yes. very subjective for sure, the appeal of these luxury goods. I really like all the Grand Seikos that I have paid attention to. They seem really really nice. Expensive. No idea if they hold their value at all, relative to a Rolex. Maybe Matt Strongin knows about that.
    They're awesome. I don't know a ton about the Grand Seiko second hand market, but I believe they do very well and the watches are very nicely made. But if you want to buy a watch for value preservation my recommendation would be a Patek Philippe Grand Complication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Depends on the watch from Grand Seiko. The Spring Drives (particularly the snowflake) seem to do better than the automatics, which in turn do better than the quartzes. The finish and detail work on the quartz GS I have is absurd and resale is immaterial for me, but even new they're pretty great watches for the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I think of Tudor more as Rolex's cheeky younger sibling. Their construction and quality outclasses others in the same price range, they've embraced the retro heritage of both Tudor (they're not a new brand) and parent company Rolex, and they've got the breathing room to experiment with materials that Rolex will likely never touch. PVD, bronze (one of my favorites), fabrics, rough and casual leathers, etc., etc. My red bezeled Black Bay continues to be one of my favorite watches and gets more use than most of the rest that I own.
    I have heard Tudor referred to as Rolex's crazy uncle who does the things that Rolex wishes it could do (samples below prove that theory).

Interesting Tudor versus Rolex video

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to buy something in the $5000 ballpark I'd spend it on an Omega.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    If you put a gun to my head and forced me to buy something in the $5000 ballpark I'd spend it on an Omega.
    We can hang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    We can hang.
    I'd still go Rolex...steel oyster perpetual @ $5400...or one of the Tudor Pelgaos (titanium bracelet) @ $4400...I have never been able to get into Omega even though I know others really love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on cool, interesting mantel clocks?
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    Any thoughts on cool, interesting mantel clocks?
    JLC Atmos
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of these are pretty cool, especially if you like Frank Lloyd Wright:

frank lloyd wright clock - Google Search

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been down that road (minus the gun) and am very happy with mine:
    IMG_0387.jpg

Edit: Ugh it always rotates my pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Depends on the watch from Grand Seiko. The Spring Drives (particularly the snowflake) seem to do better than the automatics, which in turn do better than the quartzes. The finish and detail work on the quartz GS I have is absurd and resale is immaterial for me, but even new they're pretty great watches for the money.
    I feel like Grand Seiko does such good work as a whole. From the dial itself - their snowflake is amazing and I really like the new special editions which have almost a fractal pattern to them, to their literally sharp-looking hands and hour markers. Not to mention their movements tend to be just as accurate as those coming out of Switzerland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still go Rolex...steel oyster perpetual @ $5400...or one of the Tudor Pelgaos (titanium bracelet) @ $4400...I have never been able to get into Omega even though I know others really love them.
    Have you seen a Speedmaster in person? That is all it took for me to become a convert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you seen a Speedmaster in person? That is all it took for me to become a convert.
    That's their top offering. They have some other great watches, but the Speedmaster is iconic. They've also jumped the shark a bit over the last few years with some of the special editions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's their top offering. They have some other great watches, but the Speedmaster is iconic. They've also jumped the shark a bit over the last few years with some of the special editions.
    It all seems very confusing (ex. how many speedmaster-railmasters do we need?)

I am glad the brand is interesting to others. It does not do much for me which is not unlike others who do not care for Rolex but I really like it. Thankfully we live in a world were we have an embarrassment of riches (aka choices) when it comes to watch choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like a steel Daytona one of these days. They are sort of hard to come by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I'd like a steel Daytona one of these days. They are sort of hard to come by.
    Contact your Rolex dealer and get on a list...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true; I feel a lot of different watch brands are doing the special editions to death. Some special editions make more sense/aren't as egregious (see the 1948 Seamaster), but yeah the constant special editions wear me down. IMO, all you really need to know in terms of a Speedmaster is that you want the Speedmaster Professional with hesalite (or sapphire, but that isn't as classic).