User Tag List

Page 66 of 175 FirstFirst ... 565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

We use Wolf winders. They're nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ that Tudor Ranger ticks a lot of boxes for me. Very cool watch.
    Anyone here own one? How is the bracelet? Looks fantastic.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Watch winders?

Good for automatic watches?
    Bad for automatic watches?

Is it good or bad to let your automatic watch be "unwound" for a long period of time?

What about wearing M-F but not on the weekends so you are always winding and setting it Monday morning?

I usually wear one watch for a few months and then switch to another one which means at least one is sitting unwound for several months at a time. Thoughts?
    I figure using a winder is less damaging than constantly having to reset a watch. If you plan on letting it sit for, say, a month or so, it might be better to not leave it on a winder.

I have two Wolf winders (a single - Module 4.1 and a double - Viceroy) and the Brookstone double you linked to above. The Wolf models are clearly better quality in build and design, and more flexible when it comes to programming the number of turns, but so far the Brookstone has been fine too. Given how much less the Brookstone is, I think it's probably the better deal. Every now and and then you can find Wolf winders on Amazon at non-cringe inducing prices, at which point they might be worth it, otherwise, they're probably not worth the price, and IMO the Brookstone would be the way to go.

If you really want to see something neat, check this out:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Watch winders?

Good for automatic watches?
    Bad for automatic watches?
    I usually wear one watch for a few months and then switch to another one which means at least one is sitting unwound for several months at a time. Thoughts?
    I see no issues with leaving a watch unwound for a few months at a time. This is especially true if it's been serviced within the past few years as the newer oil/lube won't pool like the oil/lube used back in the ol' days. Plus, it only takes 2 minutes to set the time. Winders really only make sense for those watches with multiple complications (moonphase, day, date, etc.).

In other matters, my wife is looking for a watch. She's a fan of the Linjer line of watches, but they only have quartz movements and I'm a sucker for mechanicals (auto and hand wound). However, the selection of women's mechanical watches are somewhat sparse unless you go with a "men's" model. Anyone know of a mechanical watch with similar style to that of the Linjer models? Mens or ladies, less than 40mm would be ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_a_gooner View Post
    In other matters, my wife is looking for a watch. She's a fan of the Linjer line of watches, but they only have quartz movements and I'm a sucker for mechanicals (auto and hand wound). However, the selection of women's mechanical watches are somewhat sparse unless you go with a "men's" model. Anyone know of a mechanical watch with similar style to that of the Linjer models? Mens or ladies, less than 40mm would be ideal.
    That's a fairly common style, and you should be able to find something similar without too much trouble. The bigger issue will be cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_a_gooner View Post
    Anyone know of a mechanical watch with similar style to that of the Linjer models? Mens or ladies, less than 40mm would be ideal.
    Check out the NOMOS Orion. Comes in both manual wind and automatic and several sizes ranging from 33mm - 38mm. I have a NOMOS Club (manual wind/36mm/no date) and it's a great watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Newman's watch sells for record $18m at auction - BBC News

You don't need to marry a film star to have money, just date their daughter and be given an old watch for a gift...Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona sells for $18M.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

You don't need to marry a film star to have money, just date their daughter and be given an old watch for a gift...Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona sells for $18M.
    A little more color to the story which is actually a quite beautiful story....or so I said when my wife made me read it...Paul Newman’s Rolex — with a telling message from his wife — fetches record $17.8 million - The Washington Post
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of us with small-ish wrists who want a solid knock-around diver, this was just released. Seiko Releases Four JDM “Mini-Turtles” (ref. SRPC35K1, SRPC37K1, SRPC39K1, and SRPC41K1) and Two New Turtle Colorways - Worn & Wound.

Looks pretty interesting. I bought a traditional Turtle for my father-in-law for his retirement, and he loves it. It's a pretty cool watch, but way too big for my wrists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that mini-turtle could be a winner.

and- speaking of smaller divers....

been loving this C.Ward 38mm. Lot of watch for the money here. I've got a nice oyster style bracelet incoming for it too, as i'm not feeling the rubber strap.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody know what watch Paul Racer brake guy is wearing in this video? Good view of it around 1:25 in -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Anybody know what watch Paul Racer brake guy is wearing in this video? Good view of it around 1:25 in -
    My guess is Bertucci. Scroll down to the "drab" here: Bertucci Performance Watches - A-2T Original Classics

Chris

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, you nailed it. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Wow, you nailed it. Thanks so much!
    You're very welcome!

I have a similar watch, but in black, so it was easy to spot.

FWIW, I don't wear it anymore. The battery died, and I didn't want to deal with getting it replaced. Current watches in regular use are a Citizen Promaster Dive, and a Casio G-Shock. Both solar charged, so I don't have to deal with batteries anymore.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This just arrived today from Germany (shipped on Tue)....an Ocean 39. I definitely like the smaller size compared to my other Steinhart. It has an ETA 2824, sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel and the price was 370 Euros shipped.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96BFC784-279E-42C4-91D5-D4892FE7A0E5.jpeg

Full disclosure, the last time I had a watch I sold it to buy two dime bags of heroin. That was over thirty years ago. Fast forward and my boss gave me this for my 20th anniversary with the company. I know it’s nice but it really feels heavy. It feels good to be appreciated. I’ll give it some time to get comfortable with the heft and my self consciousness.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. Hold on to it this time. You’ll get used to the weight. Just make sure it’s sized so it doesn’t shift around too much and you won’t feel the heft much at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Nice. Hold on to it this time. You’ll get used to the weight. Just make sure it’s sized so it doesn’t shift around too much and you won’t feel the heft much at all.
    April will be 33 years, I think I'll make it. I got it sized and fit is much better. Would any of you have qualms about wearing it on a construction site? I'm in a supervisory position so I don't do actual work.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    April will be 33 years, I think I'll make it. I got it sized and fit is much better. Would any of you have qualms about wearing it on a construction site? I'm in a supervisory position so I don't do actual work.

Mike
    Just wear it everyday and enjoy it. Have it serviced at the correct intervals and it will be fine.

I have had a Rolex Explorer II since the mid-90s which was early in my technology career. I wore it while working in server rooms, network closets, electrical closets, ceilings, and the like. It got beat up because I never treated it like a "garage queen" watch (or bike) but I always enjoyed having it.

I recently sent it back to Rolex for service. They replaced the crown (it was heavily scratched and the numbers did not show because the black enamel was all gone), replaced the face (the newer ones use a different material and have much better luminescence for low light), and buffed the case and bracelet so it looks good as new (see below for the after shot - sorry but forgot to take the before shot). So, this is a thirty year old watch that cost about $1,000 to service and make look new (current retail is $8,500).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought this when travelling in Rome in 2000 at a jewelry store (non-Rolex dealer) used for $2,000. When I got home a jeweler told me that it was fake, but a really good fake. It say in a drawer for about 10 years but then I decided to wear it just to have a nice looking watch. A couple of years ago it stopped working and I was going to throw it away, but my dad wanted to take it apart and see if it really was fake. Turns out that it was real this whole time. ~$800 to the Rolex watchmaker to do a full rebuild and replace the glass and bezel and it's just like new again!

I am so glad that I didn't just throw it in the trash.