User Tag List

Page 65 of 175 FirstFirst ... 555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

All these Tudor watches speak to me as well (this is what happens when the wife is away for a few days and work is quiet - new big projects start on Monday)

Black Bay 36mm

Ranger 41mm

Pelagos 42mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    I don't think many brands (outside of the highest echelons of watches like Patek Philippe) hold their value like a Rolex. You can find nice used ones in the 2k range for a Black Bay Heritage. Pelagos may go for more, but that is titanium and more advanced.

Also I should say I don't dislike all white dials, but I tend to dislike them on sports watches while loving them on dress watches (I could swoon over some of the Grand Seikos with a white dial).
    This. If you're buying a watch to hold value, get a Patek. Then a Rolex. After that, don't sweat the resale. That's not to say there aren't plenty of other watches that hold their value well. There are. But it's more about specific models than the brand as a whole.

I'm also with you on white vs. black dials. I prefer black on sport watches and white on dress watches. There are, of course, exceptions like a Daytona with a panda dial or a Patek 6000 with a black dial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So interesting the varied perspectives.

I have always thought black dials were "dressier" and white dials were "sportier/more casual". I only wear metal bands so if I am in a Tux (or a suit), a black dial is more formal IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Also I should say I don't dislike all white dials, but I tend to dislike them on sports watches while loving them on dress watches .
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'm also with you on white vs. black dials. I prefer black on sport watches and white on dress watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arghh, question... My not expensive but well loved Hamilton automatic fell off my desk onto a hardwood floor, and now it stops intermittently. Seems fine when I'm wearing it but stops after I take it off overnight, something's out of whack. It's well out of warranty, should I send it to a Hamilton repair facility (only 3 in the US) or just take it to a local watch repair place that has a good reputation. It's (just) a $500 watch and I'm aware that repairs can get expensive quickly. Replacement in the even of pricey repair not an option, sentimental value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I really like the white dial Milgauss because I think it makes the orange stand out but I am not sure I can get past the polished portion on the bracelet. I do not like the green sapphire crystal on the anniversary black (see on left) and blue which is all you can really find now:
    I purchased a used Milgauss a few years back (maybe 2011). I loved the look, but never tried one on and that was a mistake. It wears like a very large watch..and it's heavy. I have a PAM 111 and feels like the Milgauss was just too big. Additionally, the CPL got marked up very easily which bothered me a ton. After a 6 months, I ended up selling it back for a few hundred less than what I purchased it for and found a deal on a GMT Coke. I kept that for a few years and ended up selling it for around the same price. I regret selling it, though.

I've been eyeing the IWC Le Petit Prince recently. But would rather spend money on another motorcycle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone else shared offline that the Milgauss is heavy and that you need to wear it tight to the wrist which would not work for me. I wear my others looser due to breaking my left wrist twice when I was younger and it never healed perfectly straight.

It's that feeling of really wanting it (and not because of the sale price) but knowing it is just not going to be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_a_gooner View Post
    I purchased a used Milgauss a few years back (maybe 2011). I loved the look, but never tried one on and that was a mistake. It wears like a very large watch..and it's heavy. I have a PAM 111 and feels like the Milgauss was just too big. Additionally, the CPL got marked up very easily which bothered me a ton. After a 6 months, I ended up selling it back for a few hundred less than what I purchased it for and found a deal on a GMT Coke. I kept that for a few years and ended up selling it for around the same price. I regret selling it, though.

I've been eyeing the IWC Le Petit Prince recently. But would rather spend money on another motorcycle...

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zen - This gets tough - kind of like the box store recreational bike that shows up at the LBS for a tune-up that would cost more than the bike. I had purchased a Hamilton Khaki automatic for my son - about a $275 watch. Ran well for 5 years, stopped. After debating, I sent it for a $225 overhaul. It only ran for a few months more. I suggest taking it to the local place for a quick look in case it's something that can be done cheaply. Hamilton service will cost more than the watch is worth. YMMV if there is great sentimental value, etc.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I REALLY want one of those first gen Pelagos' with the eta movement! I also made my wife try on one of those 36mm Black Bays a while back, she absolutely loved it, guess she'll probably be getting hers before I get mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I REALLY want one of those first gen Pelagos' with the eta movement! I also made my wife try on one of those 36mm Black Bays a while back, she absolutely loved it, guess she'll probably be getting hers before I get mine.
    The 36mm BB on the tan strap looks great on my wife. She won't let me get it for her, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 36mm BB on the tan strap looks great on my wife. She won't let me get it for her, though.
    Yup that's exactly what Heather tried on. And same story here - "you better not buy this for me Mr. Musgrave!!" Lol. I'll happen one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Arghh, question... My not expensive but well loved Hamilton automatic fell off my desk onto a hardwood floor, and now it stops intermittently. Seems fine when I'm wearing it but stops after I take it off overnight, something's out of whack. It's well out of warranty, should I send it to a Hamilton repair facility (only 3 in the US) or just take it to a local watch repair place that has a good reputation. It's (just) a $500 watch and I'm aware that repairs can get expensive quickly. Replacement in the even of pricey repair not an option, sentimental value.
    Likely an ETA movement, so I'd assume take it to a watch remain fellow might work out fairly well. Just my assumption.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually in the market for something new...grand max budget.
    Trying to decide betweek the 'new' version of the 62Mas, holding out for another MKII, or one of those new Raven Trekker 40's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZenNMotion - If you want names we can give you some but thats most likely just a 2824 and anyone should be able to handle it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Likely an ETA movement, so I'd assume taking it to a watch repair fellow might work out fairly well. Just my assumption.
    Fixed. Oof.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My riding bud sunk a hole in one at a charity event two weeks ago and he texted a photo of his prize to me this evening. The irony of it is that he hasn't worn a watch in 40 years.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked this up today when shopping/looking.

Rolex 2017-2018 catalog. Over 200 pages of Rolex goodness.

Attachment 103868

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch winders?

Good for automatic watches?
    Bad for automatic watches?

Is it good or bad to let your automatic watch be "unwound" for a long period of time?

What about wearing M-F but not on the weekends so you are always winding and setting it Monday morning?

I usually wear one watch for a few months and then switch to another one which means at least one is sitting unwound for several months at a time. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking back at this thread, I guess I've never posted this one before. This is what I'm wearing today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Watch winders?

Good for automatic watches?
    Bad for automatic watches?

Is it good or bad to let your automatic watch be "unwound" for a long period of time?

What about wearing M-F but not on the weekends so you are always winding and setting it Monday morning?

I usually wear one watch for a few months and then switch to another one which means at least one is sitting unwound for several months at a time. Thoughts?
    I use winders. My thought is that it's better for the parts to be working than for them to sit. I also appreciate the convenience of always having any watch ready to wear, and it's nice to be able to switch from day to day. If you're getting them serviced at proper intervals, I doubt it would make that much of a difference whether you kept them on winders or not. But I'm not a watchmaker.
    Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 09-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use winders. My thought is that it's better for the parts to be working than for them to sit. I also appreciate the convenience of always having any watch ready to wear, and it's nice to be able to switch from day to day. If you're getting them serviced at proper intervals, I doubt it would make that much of a difference whether you kept them on winders or not. But I'm not a watchmaker.
    I heard differing views from Rolex dealers so I thought I would ask here and see what people practice in real life.

1995 Explorer II
    - Serviced 2000
    - Serviced 2010 (when Rolex said you could now go 10 years)
    - Serviced 2016 (started wearing datejust more often and this sat for a few months and would not wind)

2010 DateJust Two-Tone
    - Not yet serviced, wear almost everyday, has not yet stopped but also has not sat more than a few days unwound

Any recommendations on a winder for 2 (or 3) watches?
    - The Brookstone one mentioned above looked good but I have no context of what is good (or anything else to compare it to)