User Tag List

Page 64 of 175 FirstFirst ... 545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 3485

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

My wife flew down to Florida this morning for a girls weekend with some highschool friends. Work was strangely quiet today so I took an extended lunch and went to look at a few of the watches that have been discussed lately. As I approached a jewelry store that is a Rolex dealer, I noticed this location was closing and a sign stated everything is 50% off. Rolex does not discount so I was not hopeful. I walked in and was quickly told Rolex is 20% off and Tag is 30% off. Most of what I like in Rolex was already cleaned out. They had a few watches left with the fluted bezel which is not my thing. And then there was this....$7650 => $6000 (extra discount over 20% because my wife and I use to be good customers of their NJ location).

Attachment 103596

I did leave the store today without buying it but I am really tempted. With the iron shield the Milgaus really has some weight to it for a 40mm watch. I texted this picture to the wife and her response was, "if you want it and your bike fund can cover it, go for it." What I now realized is that I might also need a watch fund in the future.

Decisions, Decisions. Not sure what to do. Too similar to my Explorer II shown below?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    My father and uncles always wear Rolex so it is ingrained in my soul. Most had stainless steel versions and then on their 40th birthdays received two-tone gold/steel form their respective spouses. My older brother was not really into watches until he got out of medical school, paid off his loans, and could afford them so his desire/need was delayed. He finally went with Omega. My younger brother went with Tag Heuer after he paid off his law school loans.

In the mid-90s I was living in NYC and asked my father for the Rolex Air King (not pictured) my mother gave him when they were married (late 60s) and both just finished medical school. The bracelet had broken, was lost, and replaced with something not original. The crystal was cracked. The watch did not work. My parents were no longer married. I told him I would take it to the Rolex Corporate Service Center on 5th Avenue. Of course, the service people looked at me, in my mid-20s, and assumed the battered watch was fake and/or stolen. I told them not to be rude, look at the engraving on the back (my parent's wedding date), and to call my father at the hospital and ask him or call my retired mother in NJ and ask her about the story/provenance. They told me to wait and then came back about 20 minutes later. They apologized and said it was real, and they would make sure it was restored as-if new, and would call me in 5-6 weeks.

I waited, got the call from Rolex service, went to pick it up, paid for it, and brought it home. I saw my father later in the week and he was so amazed at how good it looked he wanted it back. I said, "But, you and Mom have been divorced 10 years so why do you care about this watch anymore". You can imagine how the rest of that conversation went. My father took the watch back and did not speak to me for a few weeks because he was so mad. He got over being mad, paid me back for the service, and said go get your own and maybe one day I will give this to you. So that is what I did.

I went to Tourneau on Madison Avenue (across the street from the advertising agency where I worked) and purchased a new Explorer II (40mm). It was my everyday wear from 25 until 40. I also use it on vacations or other times when I want to wear something less obviously Rolex or expensive. It came back from service and refurbishment about a year ago. I was in NYC visiting family and friends so I dropped it off at Rolex Corporate on 5th Ave and had them send it back to me in Boston after the service was completed. The white dial was the original style but they replaced it with a newer one because the luminescence material is much better now.
    Attachment 103328

For my 40th, my wife purchased this new DateJust 36mm two-tone gold/steel with white face for me (tradition in my family) because I did not like the newer and larger DateJust II. It has been my daily wear for the last several years except when I take out the Explorer II for a spin. At first I had trouble getting used to it because I work in k-12 schools but finally said what the heck you only live once.
    Attachment 103331

So, what got me thinking about all of this (besides the thread) is that Rolex has an updated version of the Air King. Not sure if I should get that for my 50th (in a few years) or ask my father again if he will give me the one my mother gave to him. I really like the new one (shown below) but having a 60s Air King that has been in my family for years would be great too.
    Attachment 103330
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That new Air-King is very nice looking in person, but the green details are very pronounced so it's not for everybody. My favorite right now is the newly updated Explorer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not similar at all! And I don't think they make the white dial anymore, so if that's your preference, it may be hard to find one in the future. That said, if they have the blue dial Milgauss at that price, go get it. Now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not similar at all! And I don't think they make the white dial anymore, so if that's your preference, it may be hard to find one in the future. That said, if they have the blue dial Milgauss at that price, go get it. Now.
    No blue left. I am not a fan of the Milgauss Blue because it is more of a royal blue than the darker blue of the oysters shown earlier in this thread. And I am a fan of the white dial. Interestingly, Rolex website shows Blue or Black Milguass as $8200 in 40mm whereas the white at the store is $7650 in 40mm. They have three left if anyone wants one (PM me for details).

Most of the remaining men's stock is datejust 41mm in polished stainless with fluted bezels which is not my taste and many women's 31mm. They did have a solid gold with president bracelet but with the diamonds which I find tacky (not that I could afford it anyway). Also a 34mm yacht master if that is your thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife needed me to drop something off for her to be repaired at another jewelry store so it was an excuse to try them all on:

From Left to Right:
    - My current 36mm datejust two-tone.

- White Milgauss 40mm - on sale and really like the white face. Also realized that the Black and Blue ones come with an Anniversary Green Crystal that I do not like because it shows as a green ring around the glass.

- New Air King 39mm. Really like it. Has the same iron lining as the milgauss. Can't see the effin numbers anymore without my reading glasses which I do not wear all the time on advice from the eye doc.

- New Explorer 39mm. Strongin is right. It is really nice in person and I like the sport/diver bracelet that is similar to the one on my white face Explorer II. Can barely see the numbers so I am not so sure about this one either.

The Milgauss has been my favorite until I saw the new Air King but I was never 100% in love with it because I always thought it only came in Blue and Black face and never loved the green ring that comes because of the green crystal.

And then my wife had this to share: sleep on it, you can cover it with your bike money, you do not have more room for another bike but we have room for another watch, the watch will hold value better, and when you are dead you can leave it to one of our nephews who would much rather have it than some stupid custom Ti bike that does not fit them. She is beautiful, smart, and wise !!!

Attachment 103597

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolex has so many badass designs that I'd love if not for the lack of date. I don't know why I'm such a stickler for date windows.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Rolex has so many badass designs that I'd love if not for the lack of date. I don't know why I'm such a stickler for date windows.
    I was too with my current Explorer II and DateJust Two-Tone but I can't read the effin numbers or the date anymore (even with the magnifier). Getting old sucks. You have the means for nicer stuff but then you can't always enjoy it to its fullest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I used to be one too. Then a got a watch without a date and I don't miss it when I wear that watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're not getting 15-20% off MSRP from any retailer, you're not doing it right

you shouldnt need a going out of business sale to get that discount

the built in margins for these things is stupid...i have never paid full freight for anything (other than a boutique only piece)

you can find plenty of out of state certified retailers that will happily ship to you w/no tax

this isn't a case of supporting your local dealer cuz that is stupid for watches...they send the shit back to corporate for service

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. However, after wearing Pannies, both 44mm and 46mm models, I just can't do 40mm anymore. I have a couple of other more "dressy" watches that are 42mm and are comparatively slimmer.

No blue left. I am not a fan of the Milgauss Blue because it is more of a royal blue than the darker blue of the oysters shown earlier in this thread. And I am a fan of the white dial. Interestingly, Rolex website shows Blue or Black Milguass as $8200 in 40mm whereas the white at the store is $7650 in 40mm. They have three left if anyone wants one (PM me for details).

Most of the remaining men's stock is datejust 41mm in polished stainless with fluted bezels which is not my taste and many women's 31mm. They did have a solid gold with president bracelet but with the diamonds which I find tacky (not that I could afford it anyway). Also a 34mm yacht master if that is your thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    if you're not getting 15-20% off MSRP from any retailer, you're not doing it right

you shouldnt need a going out of business sale to get that discount

the built in margins for these things is stupid...i have never paid full freight for anything (other than a boutique only piece)

you can find plenty of out of state certified retailers that will happily ship to you w/no tax

this isn't a case of supporting your local dealer cuz that is stupid for watches...they send the shit back to corporate for service
    Depends on the watch. Rolex sport models are very, very rarely discounted. Many of them are hard to find let alone find at 15-20% off msrp.

And the margins on watches are much less than many other products.

And other than a few select brands or very complex repairs, most local watch dealers use in house or local watchmakers. In fact, many watch brands require an in house watch maker as a condition of carrying the line.

People should support their local business because 1) it's important for communities and 2) when dropping a large sum of money on a watch it is good to have access to a dealer that will go above and beyond to help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the watch. Rolex sport models are very, very rarely discounted. Many of them are hard to find let alone find at 15-20% off msrp.

And the margins on watches are much less than many other products.

And other than a few select brands or very complex repairs, most local watch dealers use in house or local watchmakers. In fact, many watch brands require an in house watch maker as a condition of carrying the line.

People should support their local business because 1) it's important for communities and 2) when dropping a large sum of money on a watch it is good to have access to a dealer that will go above and beyond to help you.
    i own a deepsea purchased at 20% off...i have owned a gmt-master ii also purchased at 20% off...you certainly couldn't find a new daytona anywhere near msrp

great to support your local jeweler, but they'd be stupid/unfair not to offer you the same discount they provide to people who call them up and ask

i personally would not trust the resident watchmaker to open the case on any of my watches...certainly for a piece still under warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about gray market watches sold by non-authorized dealers? If yes, the manufacturer has every right to not honor the warranty. I am not going to be one of those people that purchases a "new" Rolex with the warranty card already filled out with another dealer's name or a person's name. I cannot speak to other brands but I know that several years ago Rolex started pulling back dealership agreements from many places to raise the exclusivity of the brand and try to stop gray market selling of their watches.

There are also other ways they can "discount" watches and not upset the manufacturer agreements. My first Rolex, an Explorer II, I purchased from Tourneau in NYC when I was in my 20s. I could not afford to pay all at once so they offered 2 years payment at no interest. When my wife bought my datejust a few years ago, the store called the discount a "customer loyalty discount" because we sure were very loyal when it came to my wife's jewelry.

Just like bike parts, people have to make a decision that works for them.

Let's get this discussion back on track about the watches themselves rather than how to score one at a cheap price (and sorry for even mentioning the price in my OP because going in I had no idea that was even available at this location)

i own a deepsea purchased at 20% off...i have owned a gmt-master ii also purchased at 20% off...you certainly couldn't find a new daytona anywhere near msrp

great to support your local jeweler, but they'd be stupid/unfair not to offer you the same discount they provide to people who call them up and ask

i personally would not trust the resident watchmaker to open the case on any of my watches...certainly for a piece still under warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for service, I am sticking with manufacture's only.

My history of repair:
    - Father's 1967 Air King taken to Rolex Service NYC - back in less than 4 weeks and needed a total refurbish including service for stopped mechanism, crystal, and new bracelet.
    - 1990s Explorer II taken back to Dealer for first service at 5 years (Rolex now suggests every 10). They sent from NYC shop to their Long Island service center. Took 12 weeks for a simple service - eff that.
    - Second Explorer II service at 10 years (five years from the first) taken to Rolex NYC - back in 3 weeks and cost less than the dealer service that was 5 years earlier.
    - Third Explorer II service for stopped mechanism and refurbishment at over 20 years - dropped off at Rolex in NYC when visiting friends and family (from Boston) - 4 weeks. Could not make it back to NYC quickly enough so they shipped it to me via registered USPS mail which officially took one more week but that is on me because I could not pick it up (5 weeks total from drop off to my home in Boston).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally the new Explorer just does it for me; almost as much as a Submariner or a GMT Master II (which is the only watch on which I would tolerate the cyclops date window which I despise otherwise). That being said I do like the Milgauss although the new Omega Railmaster would probably get the nod if I were cross shopping (I love those alpha hands and don't particularly care for the white dial of the Milgauss). The white and yellow just comes on a bit strong for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with Tudor? Is it a division of Rolex? If not, I am surprised they can make them look so similar.

And I saw they now make this in a 36mm Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 - Swiss watches - m795-1

So many great options these days.

It's Baselworld 2014, folks. For all you watch lovers, there are lots of goodies coming out. Here's one that caught me off guard. Tudor Heritage Ranger...with a camo strap option.

Attachment 65410

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolex watchmakers are certified and authorized by Rolex. Sure, there are probably some bad ones out there, but generally speaking Rolex has very strict requirements to be a certified watchmaker and any of their authorized dealers should have a watchmaker more than capable of servicing their watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with Tudor? Is it a division of Rolex? If not, I am surprised they can make them look so similar.

And I saw they now make this in a 36mm Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36 - Swiss watches - m795-1

So many great options these days.
    Rolex owns Tudor. For the money, Tudor is hard to beat. My Black Bay (red bezel) is one of my favorite watches. The construction quality is not quite at Rolex level, but it is definitely above other brands in the same price range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Personally the new Explorer just does it for me; almost as much as a Submariner or a GMT Master II (which is the only watch on which I would tolerate the cyclops date window which I despise otherwise). That being said I do like the Milgauss although the new Omega Railmaster would probably get the nod if I were cross shopping (I love those alpha hands and don't particularly care for the white dial of the Milgauss). The white and yellow just comes on a bit strong for me.

I really like the white dial Milgauss because I think it makes the orange stand out but I am not sure I can get past the polished portion on the bracelet. I do not like the green sapphire crystal on the anniversary black (see on left) and blue which is all you can really find now:

New Explorer

Newer Explorer II (42mm - I have the older 40mm with red 24hr hand and thinner hour and minute hands)

Again, so many good options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolex owns Tudor. For the money, Tudor is hard to beat. My Black Bay (red bezel) is one of my favorite watches. The construction quality is not quite at Rolex level, but it is definitely above other brands in the same price range.
    Good to know. That one you originally listed and I noticed in smaller 36mm would be hard to beat with a really nice design for the cost if it is Rolex-esque in terms of quality. Do you (or anyone else) know if they hold their value the same way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know. That one you originally listed and I noticed in smaller 36mm would be hard to beat with a really nice design for the cost if it is Rolex-esque in terms of quality. Do you (or anyone else) know if they hold their value the same way?
    I don't think many brands (outside of the highest echelons of watches like Patek Philippe) hold their value like a Rolex. You can find nice used ones in the 2k range for a Black Bay Heritage. Pelagos may go for more, but that is titanium and more advanced.

Also I should say I don't dislike all white dials, but I tend to dislike them on sports watches while loving them on dress watches (I could swoon over some of the Grand Seikos with a white dial).